Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great design for a economy minded car. They easily could have fitted a Mitsubishi 16G on that bad boy (2003-2006 stock Mitsubishi Evolution turbo) and made more power. Electric waste gate is genius idea, eliminates boost creep and partial-throttle problems. Plus, no need to worry about cracked manifolds since its made from stainless steel instead of cast iron. Twin-scroll turbos are usually only used in factory applications when talking about Porsche or the latter. Its nice Hyundai picked a more efficient design regardless of size of actual turbo. I am sure in the near future that there will be after market giants like HKS, GReddy, and such that will make a front mount inter cooler option or re-flash options and even full exhaust systems since the showing of the "snow-troopered out" 0-60 2.0T. The tuner scene will come very quickly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Peak torque of 239 lb-ft arrives at 3500 rpm, and the power peak of 234 horsepower is reached at 6100 rpm. How is the automatic transmission going to hold up?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just drove the thing it was terrible...

cut boost in every gear... when it was running hot, it was def short of power...almost like the 2.4...

I dunno if i wanna buy now :(

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (blacksapphirez @ Nov 4 2010, 09:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369096

cut boost in every gear... when it was running hot, it was def short of power...almost like the 2.4...

I drove an SE yesterday, and my impression was it felt exactly like my old Altima 3.5V6, maybe the Altima has the low end torque, where the Sonata Turbo took a bit of rpms to get the pull. But the power from a stop (I squeeled the 225s in first gear) and passing was very similar. The power seemed to be there without any turbo lag, and this car was better controlling the torque steer.

The only negative I observed was the 2000rmps at startup, and the metallic sounds during that time. I got out and popped the hood, it went away, but something tells me that can't be good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The noise you are hearing is a function of the GDI ... the engine kicks up to 2000rpm on cold starts to warm up as I dont believe there is an egr system in place to help the warm up (due to the carbon / sludge deposits that can be recirculated in a GDI system).

There is a camshaft driven fuel pump that is making all the noise ... on my mazdaspeed at a cold start and under WOT if would operate at almost 2000psi ... and it was noisy too.

Long story short ... the noise is no big deal ... don't be worried.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think a lot of people are getting the wrong idea about this car. It's not meant to be a sports car. If that's why you are buying it, you will be disappointed. If you are buying it as a great alternative to a V6 family sedan, then you will be blown away.

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (Plasma George @ Nov 4 2010, 11:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369108
I drove an SE yesterday, and my impression was it felt exactly like my old Altima 3.5V6, maybe the Altima has the low end torque, where the Sonata Turbo took a bit of rpms to get the pull. But the power from a stop (I squeeled the 225s in first gear) and passing was very similar. The power seemed to be there without any turbo lag, and this car was better controlling the torque steer.
I was trying to be optimistic, saying it reminded me of my 06, Altima with a 4 cylinder ! I think it's a geat concept.

I'm just going back and forth between Turbo and non Turbo. I'm being quoted $22,700 for a black limited, cause they're on the Lot. The difference in $$$ is even greater now for Turbo, 2.9% at 60 months is about $30-$40 / month. I've got my younger version (Grand Nationals, and Mustangs) pulling me in one direction, and the maturing father in the other (2 kids).

Please help.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I am buying it to get the features that I can't get on the 2.4 limited like the 18" wheels, paddle shifter. The turbo is just a bonus.

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 5 2010, 09:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369179
I am buying it to get the features that I can't get on the 2.4 limited like the 18" wheels, paddle shifter. The turbo is just a bonus.
That's what makes it so hard for me, I'm a highway commuter during the week, and I don't want the rubber band tires on the 18" rims. I want the 17" Limited rims/tires put on the Turbo, some dealers are telling me they will make the swap. I basically want the Limited exactly equiped w/ turbo.

Wait till you get 25,000 miles on those ultra thin tires, you'll feel ever crack in the road, and I'm not up for $800 tires every year. The paddle shifters sem to be for 18YOs who just got their license.

·
Registered
43 Posts
QUOTE (Plasma George @ Nov 5 2010, 06:30 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369177
I was trying to be optimistic, saying it reminded me of my 06, Altima with a 4 cylinder ! I think it's a geat concept.

I'm just going back and forth between Turbo and non Turbo. I'm being quoted $22,700 for a black limited, cause they're on the Lot. The difference in $$$ is even greater now for Turbo, 2.9% at 60 months is about $30-$40 / month. I've got my younger version (Grand Nationals, and Mustangs) pulling me in one direction, and the maturing father in the other (2 kids).

Please help.
I have a 2 yr old and since she was born i got over the performance side of cars. Got rid of my 05 turbo legacy and 02 civic for more comfortable choices. This car is cheap and has great crash test scores. To me tho the turbo would be a bonus since the rest of the car is nice.

·
Registered
232 Posts
QUOTE (blacksapphirez @ Nov 4 2010, 08:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369096

That's what the dyno curves show. Somehow the Sonata is the only car that gets a pass for shorting HP at least for now. Maybe the will offer $500 back or offer to take the car back like Mazda did on the RX8.

·
Registered
104 Posts
QUOTE (Shoot2Thrill @ Nov 6 2010, 10:23 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369474
That's what the dyno curves show. Somehow the Sonata is the only car that gets a pass for shorting HP at least for now. Maybe the will offer $500 back or offer to take the car back like Mazda did on the RX8.
You again, with the dyno curves... Your pedantic fixation on this controlled, and inorganic, quantitative assessment of driving "performance" has become tantrum-like. Tell me, have you driven the 2.0T? If you have, I would like to know two bits of relevant information before eagerly awaiting your first-hand review. Do you know what Hyundai's market intent is with this turbo offering? Secondly, does this intent comport with your own subjective performance expectations?

Final word: When the comparison tests(you know, the kind where evaluations are based on a driving experience in which the car...moves, and in a way that mimics how 99.9% of consumers actually operate their vehicles) begin to roll in, then we'll have a clearer understanding of where this Turbo settles in amongst the pack. Till then, you're just blowin' hot air.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts