Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am a proud owner of a 2012 Elantra GLS(auto 1.8) and i like to use the sport mode "Shiftronic" all the time. When I started using it, i noticed a nice quick woosh sound almost like a mini turbo, only when i shift at 5500 to 6000 rpm. it sounds like air pressure releasing when i shift at high rpms.

obviously, i do not have a turbocharged engine, but its a pretty loud sound, people can hear it outside of my car if within 15 feet. I have noticed this for the past year and a half but never found out what it was. I will say that I have added a short ram intake into the car, but I have heard this sound way before I put the intake in. There was no change of sound when I added the intake, so it is not intake related. And I know what intake sound is. note it only happens when shifting at high rpms, with my foot still on the gas pedal. it gets louder with higher rpms. it sounds like compressed air being released. Like air is building with rpm, then releasing at shifts. Im not mechanically inclined but I believe that is what it is.

I am wondering if anybody knows what exactly is causing the sound(what parts) and if it could be stressing my car if done too often? thanks in advance.

·
22,793 Posts
Can't help you, Mike. I cant ever remember having mine at 6K on the tachometer. I may have, but it certainly wasn't during a manual shift. :00000732: to the forum.

BTW, exactly what type of activity are you engaging in which requires that you to be over on Shiftronic side of the world at 5-6,ooo RPM's? ???:3gears:??? Just curious. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. The Elantra is not a fast vehicle. I do a lot of highway driving, so I need to get speed up quickly. Most of the power the car makes is at high rpms. It is normal for the car to shift at 5500 to 6200 rpms, when merging onto a 60+ mph highway. Shiftronic mode is the same as an automatic, its just more fun.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can't really relate to your concern but I would assume your short ram intake is making that sound. FYI, the elantra in the automatic mode you can just floor the pedal and it will automatically upshift for you when red-lined. I dont use the shiftronic mode. In my opinion that stresses the transmission.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thank you. The Elantra is not a fast vehicle. I do a lot of highway driving, so I need to get speed up quickly. Most of the power the car makes is at high rpms. It is normal for the car to shift at 5500 to 6200 rpms, when merging onto a 60+ mph highway. Shiftronic mode is the same as an automatic, its just more fun.
I live on Long Island (Queens) and drive mostly highway. Never have a problem merging into traffic or for that matter cruising at 80 mph. Don't think Ive ever gotten any where near 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I never noticed the sound. To satisfy your need for speed you may want to search for a thread for ECU tuning from SFR. I had an intake and it was fun and loud, but I changed my driving habits to get the best MPGs. I am more focused in visual mods than performance mods for the Elantra. Welcome to the forum!

·
22,793 Posts
I am more focused in visual mods than performance mods for the Elantra. Welcome to the forum!
+1 on that comment. For me, anyway. I bought the car for economy, first, and style as a close second. Mods are done to add my own unique personal touches to the styling I fell in love with.

We're somewhat akin to the artist that creates stunning images on a blank canvas. Sometimes, we have to paint over the previous work and create something different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow. I just wanted to know if anybody noticed this sound. I know for a fact it has nothing to do with the intake. The sound could be heard before I even thought of putting the intake in. This question has nothing to do with performance or modifications. I just want to know if somebody knows what parts create this sound. Sorry everyone, I just don't like getting rear ended when a hundred cars are flying by at 75mph when I am merging lanes. I am talking about a two second period when my rpms are at 5000-6000 if there is a lot of traffic. I like to cruise in sixth gear, my rpms are actually close to 1000rpms, it gets you great mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The woosh sound you hear is reverse exchange pressure. When you go to the manual mode, and are not in 1st gear, it locks the torque converter. At high RPM or at 6000 the solenoids open to release pressure. This is a cool sound but is also bad for the tranny. Also without adequate air/fuel delivery and clearer exhaust flow you couldn't hope to make power that high in RPM. We drive Hyundai not Ferrari. The motor and tuning are optimized for MPG. You would probably get more acceleration at 3/4 throttle in DRIVE.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Can't really relate to your concern but I would assume your short ram intake is making that sound. FYI, the elantra in the automatic mode you can just floor the pedal and it will automatically upshift for you when red-lined. I dont use the shiftronic mode. In my opinion that stresses the transmission.
When you use your paddle shifters you can control what gear it downshifts too. I don't like to let the tranny pick the gear when I want to pass in my Sonata cause it always jumps me to around 5K rpm which is a couple of seconds before it shifts to the next gear. I like to drop mine at around 3500-4000 RPM when I want to pass or merge.

Also OP you probably want to take your car to the dealer. When I had a SRI on my 05 Elantra it did make that sound when I cut it off or when I shifted at high rpm but ONLY after I put my SRI on did it start doing that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hate to bring up an old thread but sheesh guys. It`s often more enjoyable to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. I love my mpg`s but there are many times while using a tank of gas where I will see 6200 rpm for multiple shifts, and I still manage 28.4 mpg regularly, all city :)

To be on topic...I get the noise too during harsh acceleration, similar to a light blow off valve, I hear it in "D". I never really use the "Manual" shifting unless I'm driving downhill. The shift points are the same in "D" as they are in "Manual" mode.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey, Mikeb.
I have a short-ram on my E and I aswell here this sound.
at around 3.5k RPMS up to the upshift I hear a 'Whistle' come from the engine bay, and yes its LOUD. I love the sound.
I'm guessing you removed that rubber tube that ran from the intake. and that's where the noise is coming from. The lack of the tube is what makes the noise.
I had a buddy in the car and he thought it was a turbo spool. ha. :cool:

·
22,793 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm doing the same as Avante MD &OkieRich & concentrate more on the look of the car as it'll never be a race car just not made that way, however I've added the CAI but mainly it's to give me a bit better mileage (maybe) & little quicker of the light's. That sound could be anything as these car's have a few odd sounds that I've never heard in any of my other cars for example when disengaging the clutch there's a click always bothered me only to find out its a relay or something.
The sound is more than likely something to do with your intake system whether stock or cai, it's obviously air in or out but if it doesn't affect the car in any way then I wouldn't worry.

·
22,793 Posts
:laughing: I once installed one of these on a friends car without him knowing. Priceless.
Thanks for posting that! I might order one now just to mess with some friends! What a great practical joke!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts