Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I've been to the dealership and I have to decide whether or not to do "the switch". Of course the biggest factor in this decision is the money issue. Currently I have an early 2011 GLS base with no options. I'm looking at the 2011 SE Turbo. The cost difference: I would go from $298 to somewhere in the area of $360 to $370 and add about 15 months to my current payoff with only about $1000 down. IDK though. I'm scheduled to take it for a spin later this week to see the difference. Of people thinking about doing this or have already done so or even choose not to, any constructive thoughts? Money is top priority, but I think it might be worth the stretch. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
1) Other will not be able to talk you out of the "itch". :D
2) Money qualifiers are hard to also deal with.

Have you ever owned an FI car?
What are you expecting the Turbo to be like over your current NA?
Is the Turbo the only feature different than your current car (I note GLS base versus incoming SE, that a different car even w/o the turbo).

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (jtaylor @ Dec 6 2010, 09:02 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377304
OK. I've been to the dealership and I have to decide whether or not to do "the switch". Of course the biggest factor in this decision is the money issue. Currently I have an early 2011 GLS base with no options. I'm looking at the 2011 SE Turbo. The cost difference: I would go from $298 to somewhere in the area of $360 to $370 and add about 15 months to my current payoff with only about $1000 down. IDK though. I'm scheduled to take it for a spin later this week to see the difference. Of people thinking about doing this or have already done so or even choose not to, any constructive thoughts? Money is top priority, but I think it might be worth the stretch. Thanks.
How long was your current loan if you don't mind me asking. Just trying to figure out how much extra you're paying in the end.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Dec 6 2010, 10:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377306
1) Other will not be able to talk you out of the "itch". :D
2) Money qualifiers are hard to also deal with.

Have you ever owned an FI car?
What are you expecting the Turbo to be like over your current NA?
Is the Turbo the only feature different than your current car (I note GLS base versus incoming SE, that a different car even w/o the turbo).
No i have not. A friend of mine who builds cars doesnt like cars that are FI sayin that they dont last as long in the engine dept. but I disagreed. Looking at Subaru as a prime example. I guess I just expect the added HP to make the car a more interesting driving experience. Also the SE just seems a lil more "finished".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the things that I wanted the most outside of the 74 HP were the 18 rims and push button start> Those are sooo hot! :)

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (jtaylor @ Dec 6 2010, 01:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377371
No i have not. A friend of mine who builds cars doesnt like cars that are FI sayin that they dont last as long in the engine dept. but I disagreed. Looking at Subaru as a prime example. I guess I just expect the added HP to make the car a more interesting driving experience. Also the SE just seems a lil more "finished".
FI is no different than any other car. You take care of it the same way. Lots of people are stuck in the old days of 10-15 years ago when coking turbine blades and other maint related issues popped up. When you have FI you put the correct gas in, correct spark plugs and change your oil as indicated by the maint schedule and you should be fine.

Go drive one back to back to be sure (NA versus Turbo). Think of it as a 4cyl down low and a 6 up top in boost. The extra "gizmos" will be fun. I thought push-to-start would be gimmicky..but find I like it a lot especially dealing with kids and not having to pull keys out of my pockets while strapping them in, putting in stroller and what not. It was an unexpected pleasure.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
i'm no expert...but, for the money....if you want 18" rims and push button start....

get aftermarket rims....the exact ones you want...and get a remote start installed....you can dress up the one you got already with many factory/after market items available for lot
less money than taking a hit on your currnt one and buying a new one...for example...see 'ayces' ride on here

just my .02 worth

93 Posts
Just my thoughts/personal opinion.

I have owned both recently. I started out with the 2.4NA and then decided to purchase a 2.0T. Nearly the best decision I have made. However, I should have waited to purchase the 2.0T directly. I left about $500 on the table after the trade-in of the old 2.4NA. The dealer really to care of me on the trade-in, only a $500 beating which was really offset with the $500 loyalty credit ... he actually already had it sold for nearly my original purchase price. I paid $23,800 for the SE without navigation and sunroof.

The 2.0T is a far superior vehicle. The handling is better, the automatic temperature controls are better, the proximity key and push buttons start is better, ... and have I mentioned the power. When I drove the 2.4NA you could hear it struggle, the 2.0T doesn't struggle at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thx to those who gave their input. A test drive later, a decision has been made..... I will remain with the NA sonata. After driving these vehicles back to back, although the FI sonata was like a rocket with the petal to the metal, I feel that that's the only only feature I would really want. The push button is very cool but not a deal maker. Climate control, I really dont care too much. The car get hot to slowly then is too hot, then cools off too quickly again.

One question I do have is whether or not I can put 18 inch rims for the summer on and keep the my 16 inch steels for the winter and not have the Tire Pressure System go bananas.

I read a few things about this but I wasn't sure if that means the cars computer would have to be re-flashed every time I switch the rims.

Also has anyone tried the conversion from the single trail to the dual tail pipe yet. It more about the appearance than the HP pickup.

·
Registered
486 Posts
>>>>>I read a few things about this but I wasn't sure if that means the cars computer would have to be re-flashed every time I switch the rims. >>>>

..I keep hearing this strange story too ? I put some dealer take off wheels on my car with snow tires. When I took all of them to work ( the four other wheels with sensors installed in the trunk) drove over 125 miles and the system never got confused and dash lamp never came on. No problems, no re-programing. I could be wrong but any other TPM system car I have had reads and learns the nearest four signals then treats them as the ones installed on the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts