Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i was wondering what the best about of PSI's for a turbo. I read its 10 hp for every 1 pound of pressure. I don't want to get a turbo that will blow my engine. And also, what shops will install turbos?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Don't mean to butt in on this, but I got a quick question while we're talking about turbos.

The kit on kfxperformance... does that have EVERYTHING you need to get it working? Curious.

·
Registered
763 Posts
im going 7 untuned then 10. Damian said 10 psi should be fine.

·
Registered
724 Posts
As far as I know a 7 PSI boost with a dyno tune for the piggyback will be the most effective setup, as far as block strength, driveability and gains go. This is a minimal use of boost, but I've seen writeups saying the Alpha II is built for 200 wHp, and depending on spool up, 7-8.5 will be the limits.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I'd be happy with 200 hp.  I wouldn't really go that high if that's the limit. Close though.  I wouldn't want to be thinking about how close to breaking expendsive stuff under the hood I would be.

I'd like to just get the piggy back ecu, just to play around with it.  See if I would do anything even without the turbo.  I mean, I'd love the turbo too... but that's money.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (naveddunn @ Sep 17 2010, 03:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356895
So, i was wondering what the best about of PSI's for a turbo. I read its 10 hp for every 1 pound of pressure. I don't want to get a turbo that will blow my engine. And also, what shops will install turbos?
This is a weird question. There is no such thing as the best PSI for a turbo, it depends on how much power you want to put down and which turbo will get your there most efficiently based on your engine size. Thats what the compressor map is for.

by "efficient" i mean not generating too much additional heat to your intake charge.

just google "sizing a turbo" there is TONS of info out there. However I find that the grand national guys, and the DSM guys have the best write-ups.

·
Registered
147 Posts
QUOTE (audobon @ Sep 18 2010, 12:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=356996
im going 7 untuned then 10. Damian said 10 psi should be fine.
Any boost untuned is looking for trouble, the engine will lean out and cause excessive heat and detonation. You have to compensate for the extra air with extra fuel. Even with double size injectors in the car, without any adjustment in the boost portion of the map caused my car to lean out bad.

·
Registered
763 Posts
sorry to jack your thread,but i gave up on the t3/t4 and im running a t25/t28. could i be capable of pushing 8 pounds of boost after my tune safely?

i dont think they have made internals for MCs yet,so i want to do this as safe as i can.

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (dAMIAn78 @ Sep 19 2010, 05:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357285
Any boost untuned is looking for trouble, the engine will lean out and cause excessive heat and detonation. You have to compensate for the extra air with extra fuel. Even with double size injectors in the car, without any adjustment in the boost portion of the map caused my car to lean out bad.
& yo damian.

in your honest opinion,if you DIDNT use a log manifold and had a tubular style how much more HP u think you would have had? & was 168 to the wheels or bhp?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Was 168 to the wheels, and as far as log vs tubular, the log should actually flow just as good and help to spool quickly, but a tubular should give you more high end power as well as look nicer.

I don't think the manifold type had any real effect on HP at all. I think the amount of boost as well as the specific turbo had more effect as well as the limitations of the piggyback for tuning. A slightly larger turbo than my original one should have made more power up in the rpm's but would have lost the fast spool and good low end torque. A small bump in timing may have made MUCH more power but trying to be conservative with the engine and not wanting to get too deep money wise held back full potential.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
A true, equal lenght tubular manifold outflows a log manifold but also increases lag. It's only really needed in high boost applications. I wouldn't pay to have a custom tubular fabbed only to push 10 psi. It would be a waste of money

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Sep 19 2010, 08:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357328
A true, equal lenght tubular manifold outflows a log manifold but also increases lag. It's only really needed in high boost applications. I wouldn't pay to have a custom tubular fabbed only to push 10 psi. It would be a waste of money
nah a company already makes one SPECIFICALLY for our cars & it comes with a downpipe. Im not only planning to push 10,i eventually want to raise the boost but its not possible since NOBODY bothers/bothered making internal components for our cars.

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (dAMIAn78 @ Sep 19 2010, 07:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357323
Was 168 to the wheels, and as far as log vs tubular, the log should actually flow just as good and help to spool quickly, but a tubular should give you more high end power as well as look nicer.

I don't think the manifold type had any real effect on HP at all. I think the amount of boost as well as the specific turbo had more effect as well as the limitations of the piggyback for tuning. A slightly larger turbo than my original one should have made more power up in the rpm's but would have lost the fast spool and good low end torque. A small bump in timing may have made MUCH more power but trying to be conservative with the engine and not wanting to get too deep money wise held back full potential.

alot of my homies with log manifolds are always complaining and saying they need to buy a tubular since it'll increase the HP/TQ by so much. im running a t25/28 as it is so lag is in play already haha. lets just say,im getting very good brakes.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (audobon @ Sep 19 2010, 11:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357344
nah a company already makes one SPECIFICALLY for our cars & it comes with a downpipe. Im not only planning to push 10,i eventually want to raise the boost but its not possible since NOBODY bothers/bothered making internal components for our cars.
What company makes a tubular manifold for our car? I've never heard of anyone making turbo manifolds sold individually for us.

QUOTE (audobon @ Sep 19 2010, 11:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357345
alot of my homies with log manifolds are always complaining and saying they need to buy a tubular since it'll increase the HP/TQ by so much. im running a t25/28 as it is so lag is in play already haha. lets just say,im getting very good brakes.
Do you have ANY pictures of your setup? Any proof that you are indeed running a t25/28? On what engine management? Anything?

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Sep 20 2010, 06:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357530
What company makes a tubular manifold for our car? I've never heard of anyone making turbo manifolds sold individually for us.

"Brand new top mount turbo manifold and downpipe for the 06-10 Hyundai Accent 1.6L. This manifold utilizes a T25/28 flange. You will need a turbo with an internal wastegate as this manifold has no external wastegate port. Manifold is made from 321 stainless steel for strength and durability. New gaskets are included for installation. This will not fit the 1.6L engine before the 2006 body style" thats theyre description of the manifold & downpipe,you're welcome.

Do you have ANY pictures of your setup? Any proof that you are indeed running a t25/28? On what engine management? Anything?
nosir,because im not running sh*t yet,i dont have anybody willing to tune my car. im just still trying to get everything together since hyundai is complicated. engine management is going to be an aem fic or a blox fmu. other than that,internal wastegated t25/28 turbo and a tubular manifold is what im putting on.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (audobon @ Sep 20 2010, 09:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357547
"Brand new top mount turbo manifold and downpipe for the 06-10 Hyundai Accent 1.6L. This manifold utilizes a T25/28 flange. You will need a turbo with an internal wastegate as this manifold has no external wastegate port. Manifold is made from 321 stainless steel for strength and durability. New gaskets are included for installation. This will not fit the 1.6L engine before the 2006 body style" thats theyre description of the manifold & downpipe,you're welcome.
Got a link?

QUOTE (audobon @ Sep 20 2010, 09:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=357547
nosir,because im not running sh*t yet,i dont have anybody willing to tune my car. im just still trying to get everything together since hyundai is complicated. engine management is going to be an aem fic or a blox fmu. other than that,internal wastegated t25/28 turbo and a tubular manifold is what im putting on.
Ahh I see. Maybe if you ran megasquirt you would have better luck finding a tuner shop to tune the engine. It's fairly user friendly as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts