Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have 52000 km on my car. its time to turbo it... before i do tho, i want to recondition the engine so i have avoid failure die to weak or worn parts

so far i cant think of much but i have come up with these so far:

all fluids replaces
new head gasket
piston rings
water pump
timing belt
power steering belt
tstat
new clutch

and so far thats about it..
any suggestions on what else?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (nobodieshero07 @ Jun 19 2010, 08:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334531
so i have 52000 km on my car. its time to turbo it... before i do tho, i want to recondition the engine so i have avoid failure die to weak or worn parts

all fluids replaces
new head gasket
piston rings
water pump
timing belt
power steering belt
tstat
new clutch

The only thing I would do is get a thicker headgasket to lower compression. You'll most likely have to get a custom one. At 50k km, the engine is still in VERY good shape. You can do a compression test but the rings and cylinder walls should be fine. While doing the HG, replace the timing belt and tensionner along with the waterpump but only because you're in there. Dalwin just recently installed a spec stage 2 clutch from an LC accent so you should look into that. It would be a good time to lighten the flywheel.

As for fluids, ATE superblue brake fluid is the best out there. Purge the brakes and clutch cylinders. New coolant (you'll be flushing it anyway to do the HG), maybe tranny fluid if you feel like it. Make sure the brakes are up to par. If not, get the best hardware you can.

What are your plans for the turbo, intercooler, exhaust, engine management??

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (nobodieshero07 @ Jun 19 2010, 06:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334531

all fluids replaces
new head gasket
piston rings
water pump
timing belt
power steering belt
tstat
new clutch

Only other suggestion I have for you is to swing on up to Edmonton once you get it all done so I can take a gander at it :) IIRC, you're in Calgary.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (nobodieshero07 @ Jun 19 2010, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334543
kfx. but change a couple of things once i get it. i dont plan on major boost, maybe 150-170hp
Good! I think the KFX kit looks pretty good. Good sized turbo for the engine. It should have minimal lag. Are you keeping the piggyback or going with something else?

·
Registered
556 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Jun 19 2010, 10:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334548
Good! I think the KFX kit looks pretty good. Good sized turbo for the engine. It should have minimal lag. Are you keeping the piggyback or going with something else?
I would advise you with the kfx kit, not even to bother with the piggy back. have it obd2 tuned to a custom map. mostly anywhere can do it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Jun 19 2010, 09:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334537
As for fluids, ATE superblue brake fluid is the best out there.
Motul 600 has a much higher boiling point wet and dry. Ive only seen DOT5 fluids go higher.
ATE superblue's only benefit is that its blue or gold so you know when the lines have been completely flushed. But if you exisiting fluid is old, you will see the color change anyway.
Also, might consider refilling your tranny with Redline shockproof gear oil, aka smurfs blood. Expensive, but there is nothing better!
For non-boosted cars I run redline Mt-90.
If you are going to get into replacing piston rings, you might as well do a low budget motor build, the cost difference is only parts and cleaning. I dont know if there are any aftermarket pistons or rods made specifically for our engines, but custom ones can be had from companies like wiseco for example. Anyway, if you arent planning on doing a motor build I would leave the piston/rings alone.
YOu should also run a colder spark plug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts