Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm looking for a relatively cheap (<2K USD) way to inject some life into this engine. Not looking for this to be a street racer, just something that will have a good deal more pep on the highway.

I've seen some non-vehicle-specific turbo kits that look like I'd need to do some serious mods to install it--more than I'd like--so I'm wondering if there's one made for this particular 2.4 engine.

This is a 2018 Tucson Sport/AWD with the 2.4L/6-speed.
Thanks!
--Jim

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
To answer your question, no. Not a lot of aftermarket performance out there for Hyundai.

But wait, they advertised the 2.4 Tucson as the most powerful.....lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ughh...they rate it at 181, but I think the 1.6T felt quicker, maybe that was the nature of the power curve of the turbo. This 2.4 engine, for the the AWD Tucson, I would characterize as "ample", but not inspiring. I would not have bought it if the 2.0 had been the only engine choice. (And I'd qualify the "ample" as with the car having only me in it--no passengers or load).
--Jim

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Well, 195 lb ft at 1500 vs 15x lb ft at 4500 rpm... Makes a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You want to turbo an engine in the theta-ii family with all the issues that this engine has.... too funny. Tying a rope to the engine block and use it as a boat anchor would be more productive.

Sportage 2.0T or Tucson 1.6T would've been better choices. And, I find the 2.4 tolerable and the 2.0 pathetic, even though many here defended the 'pep' of their 2.0 dog.

Hyundai should've given the 2.0, 2.4, and 1.6T the 8-speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I did look at the Sportage 2.0T but it was significantly more $$ than my budget. AWD was a must-have and the Sportage Turbos w/AWD were all hovering around the 30K mark, even with haggling/internet-pricing, etc.

My "max" budget was 20K, this Tucson Sport was 23K...3K over I could rationalize (thinking I might spend a bit on go-fast stuff afterwards), but 10K I couldn't. 8 speed would be a dream for this, but I'm coming from a Sonata with a 5-speed, so this "base" 6-speed feels like an upgrade to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts