Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have been trying to hunt down from several dealers a 2.0t limited w/ navigation in Pearl White and Black leather but I am having a hard time finding my color combination. Many dealers tell me I should have a second or third choice in colors. I was considering Iridescent Silver / Blue or Radiant Silver. I like all the features that comes with the 2.4L Limited but I also like the 18" Rims, Paddle Shifting and Dual Chrome Exhaust. Having the Turbo would just be bonus. I am pretty sure I can get a better deal on a 2.4L Limited than I can on 2.0 Turbo. I should also be able to find White w/ Black leather in a Limited with navigation. I have a 2010 Tuscon Limited AWD w/ Navigation & P.E. package with 3k miles that I will be trading in.

My question is this should I keep waiting for my original color combination in a Turbo? But that means holding onto the Tucson longer and I may loose more money on the trade in and who knows how long it could take. Or should I make the deal for the Limited 2.4L in my original color of choice and add the Rims & Chrome dual exhaust later?? What do you recommend?

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 8 2010, 12:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=369931
Hi Guys,

I have been trying to hunt down from several dealers a 2.0t limited w/ navigation in Pearl White and Black leather but I am having a hard time finding my color combination. Many dealers tell me I should have a second or third choice in colors. I was considering Iridescent Silver / Blue or Radiant Silver. I like all the features that comes with the 2.4L Limited but I also like the 18" Rims, Paddle Shifting and Dual Chrome Exhaust. Having the Turbo would just be bonus. I am pretty sure I can get a better deal on a 2.4L Limited than I can on 2.0 Turbo. I should also be able to find White w/ Black leather in a Limited with navigation. I have a 2010 Tuscon Limited AWD w/ Navigation & P.E. package with 3k miles that I will be trading in.

My question is this should I keep waiting for my original color combination in a Turbo? But that means holding onto the Tucson longer and I may loose more money on the trade in and who knows how long it could take. Or should I make the deal for the Limited 2.4L in my original color of choice and add the Rims & Chrome dual exhaust later?? What do you recommend?
Nobody can really answer this for you but yourself.

My phiolosphy is to "stick to your guns" and not to settle. If you TRULY want the 2.0T in a specific color and feel that you would be settling with anything else, then wait. Sure, your trade-in will continue to depreciate, but how much can it really depreciate in a month or two?

To some people, a car is just a "transportation appliance" to an enthusiast, its something that is a relfection of their personality...something they are proud of and happy to drive. Since you are posting on an internet forum, I would tend to believe you are more the enthusiast type! :)

So, your job is to figure out how much you are willing to bend. Think of it this way, if you settled for something else, then in 2-3 months saw the exact car you wanted driving on the road, how upset would you be? Keep in mind also that the Turbos just started coming out. There will be more. So if you are waiting on a specific color combo, I am sure you will eventually find the car you want.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you have to ask, that means you don't need the turbo.

Get the 2.4l. If after a few months you really feel you need nicer wheels or a dual exhaust, then add them. Maybe over a few months you will like the wheels that are on your car and not want to swap them.

Also, if you are concerned about pricing, you will probably get a better deal on the 2.4.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I waited almost 6 weeks for my black/black Limited 2.4. I did not want to settle for less, and was so happy that day it arrived.

There are still days where I miss that car, but I'm glad I got what I wanted at the time.

·
1,914 Posts
Hold out for the pearl white one that you want otherwise you won't be happy. The turbos are extremely hard to find now, especially in my area so you have to wait a while or check with dealers. Most dealers can tell you what they have coming in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Have you actually driven the turbo? If not, you should because you need that experience to know whether it's really something you want or whether it's no big deal.

Having said that, and assuming the turbo is definitely something you want, I'd say hold out for it because if you don't get it because of TEMPORARY short supply, you'll forever be wondering "what if."

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I would not want to be in disagreement. But let me make a point. The first time anyone drives a turbo they will love it. The "kick in the pants" acceleration will get you every time. I owed two turbos in my lifetime and it is mightely tempting to push it to floor and blow the doors off of everything else on the road. But over a period of time it will become less of something that you will use and on the highway will be near useless unless you really, really, need to blast around traffic. Personally, I try to pace the traffic so that I don't need to push the pedal through the floorboard. Even the older model Sonata V6 was supposed to do 160 mph and the four cylinder 138 mph. Now personally, I think that is fast enough.

Having said the above, if one is bound and determined to own one, then by all means get it. Each to its own. I located two today without any difficulty but I'm not interested personally. If I really, really wanted to get one at the best possible price, I would do a strictly cash deal and be willing to fly to the location whereever it is located and drive it back home. Scour the entire United States and cast a wide net and see what you can find. You just might find it at a price "you can't refuse."

And one final note: anytime you trade you are going to get shafted. The trade-in will always obscure the true price of the new car and you'll never know how much you paid because the sales contracts are impossible to understand.

QUOTE (Klooks Kleek @ Nov 8 2010, 04:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370012
Have you actually driven the turbo? If not, you should because you need that experience to know whether it's really something you want or whether it's no big deal.

Having said that, and assuming the turbo is definitely something you want, I'd say hold out for it because if you don't get it because of TEMPORARY short supply, you'll forever be wondering "what if."

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Only you can decide if you really need the turbo, but here is a little perspective.

Here are the performance specs for my last few cars, and the new Turbo:

1999 Chrysler 300M 0-60 mph: 7.9 seconds (253 HP)
2001 Infiniti I30t 0-60 time: 8.5 sec. (227 HP)
2003 Infiniti G35 0-60 time: 6.5 sec. (260 HP)
2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4GDI 0-60 time 7.7 seconds (198 HP)
2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo 0-60 time 6.5 seconds (274 HP_

So... While I miss the G35 a little from time to time, and amazingly, the the new Sonata turbo is similar in acceleration specs.... the performance is more than adequate when merging onto freeways and other similar situations.

Also the Sonata 2.4 is faster than the other cars I have recently owned , and the more I drive the 2.4 GDI, the more impressed I am with the performance.
The fuel economy is a nice bonus too!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (gq_neo @ Nov 8 2010, 09:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370058
I had decided on Pearl White with black leather as well ... and am waiting an extra 2 weeks for it.
I don't mind waiting but the dealers have not idea what they are getting until the get a shipping sheet, which they get about a week before they arrive.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thats BS ... My dealers computer system showed him what was in stock at Hyundai, what he had coming and allocated to him in the compound still and even what other dealers had allocated so that he could make dealer trades (which he did for mine).

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (gq_neo @ Nov 9 2010, 07:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370116
Thats BS ... My dealers computer system showed him what was in stock at Hyundai, what he had coming and allocated to him in the compound still and even what other dealers had allocated so that he could make dealer trades (which he did for mine).
Hmmm, I guess I'll give them a call today and tell them to check a little deeper. It might be they don't want to hunt one down not that they are not able to. Heck if I can make a deal with another dealer out of the State I would be willing to drive my Tucson over and drive back a Sonata.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Dealer trades are OK but the originating dealer gets the hold-back. It is preferable to buy a car out of the dealer inventory. If they go and get a car they have to pay someone to get it and it will roll up additional miles. I prefer to get the car just after it rolls off the truck with about 3 miles on the odometer; not 250 miles where some kid might have had a drag race with his buddy who was along picking up another car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My advice is drive both the turbo and 2.4 engine model back to back. I too was debating between the regular SE and turbo SE, after driving both back to back it wasn't worth the extra $3,000.00 it was going to cost me for the turbo. My dealer wasn't comming down off MSRP for the turbo. I'll tell you, the turbo is quicker, but the regular engine is pretty quick too. I do not find the 2.4 SE lacking at all as far as power. Love my $250.00 a month payment too :banana: Drive both back to back..... you'll answer your own question at that point!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I love mine and could have waited for the turbo but I really think buying the 2.4 SE was the best thing. I got a 2011 SE with NAV for $24K and I am pretty sure I won't be able to get that kind of deal on a turbo model let alone the 2.9% interest. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. It has been my understanding that the original dealer always gets the hold-back. But if there was a dealer trade, it would be offset if two dealers swapped roughly equivalent valued automobiles. Each would keep their hold-back. If you are saying that the trades actually come before the vehicle is put into inventory but is rerouted to a new dealer I can see where you are coming from. I was speaking more of a deal where one goes to a dealer, can't find what is needed and the salesman/sales manager says they can find one at another dealer. One is still out the mileage rolled up. One new vehicle that was brought into the dealer where I bought my Sonata had slightly over 600 miles on the odometer although it was still a new car. That's how far the dealer had to go to get it. I don't want those miles. I've actually performed this service for a local dealer and although I am ultra carful and easy on a car the other two people who were driving separate vehicles ran off and left me. I wasn't interested in getting a speeding ticket or driving faster than I feel comfortable. QUOTE (gq_neo @ Nov 9 2010, 11:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=370187
Dealer trades can be done before leaving the compound (pre invoicing) and the above doesn't apply

1 - 20 of 28 Posts