Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone else had noticed their 1.4 diesel struggling to maintain speed at 70mph when the ambient temperature is above 16c. Feels like a lack of power unless the accelerator is fully pressed. Also have the same problem when accelerating through gears 3, 4 and 5 like cars used to suffer from turbo lag.

·
Registered
77 Posts
AVIO, you obviously have the same model as me. Do you find that your engine is very noisy, particularly when it is working hard accelerating through the gears at under 1800 r.p.m. ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Obviously being a diesel it is noisier when cold and I would say it is slightly noisier (probably higher pitched) when cruising at lower revs. I'll try and look out for particular noise levels at different speeds next time I'm out. Sorry couldn't be any more exact.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for your feed back Avio. I would best describe the noise as similar to the old pinking we used to get on petrol engines when using two star petrol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the car into the dealer and have spoken to Hyundai Customer Service UK about the lack of power and flat spots. The dealer told me its a characteristic of Hyundai's and they cannot look no further if they find no software faults. Customer service UK need the dealer to confirm the problem before any further investigation. Seems I'm stuck with a car that don't run smoothly and returns less that 50mpg even doing 80% of the driving on the motorway.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The same flat spot, combined with surging and stumbling issues around 1500 to 1900 RPM occurs in the 1.6 diesel i30. The problem is the electronic EGR valve. Hyundai have a design issue with the EGR system whereby under light loads with gentle acceleration the EGR opens prematurely/excessively dumping boost pressure backwards through the valve to the exhaust. The ECM seeing the lower boost then reduces fuel rate to stop exhaust smoke, this causes the engine to stumble and seemingly loose power. If you connect a boost gauge (I use a can bus connected scangauge) you will see the boost pressure wildly changing at the time the engine stumbles, on some occasions dropping from 6 psi to 0 instantly. If you mash the throttle to the floor, the EGR closes boost restores and away you go. If you turn on the Air conditioner, this alters the EGR map, it closes, boost restores and away you go. Another common complaint, that being the car 'pushes on' when slowing down, seemingly still under power, is also caused by the EGR. This is when the EGR valve suddenly closes at around 1500 rpm as you slow down, giving the engine a sudden puff of extra boost pressure. None of these issues will log any codes and therefore do not exist as far as Hyundai is concerned. Be vary cautious if Hyundai suggest adding magic fuel treatments to 'clean the EGR' as damage to fuel systems (high pressure CRD pumps) caused by 'contaminated fuel' are not covered by warranty. It's so frustrating in what is otherwise a great fun car to drive.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I noticed a long time ago that you can accelerate through this problem. Not ideal but I've found I can live with it. The IX20 CRDi is a good car but it could be a lot better if a few annoying problems were sorted out.

The EGR system is something which has been around for a long time and providing a solution to its incorrect operation shouldn't be much of a challenge for Hyundai - I guess they don't want to spend money recalling all the cars and fixing it. Cheaper for the dealers to act dumb and kick the problem "into the long grass".

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the same but worse problem with my Fiesta 1.4 tdi Diesal. In this instance it kept stalling pulling away from roundabouts and junctions. Incredibly dangerous but Ford refused to acknowledge a problem. My Ix20 1.4 crdi does have a flat spot but nowhere near as serious. I'm guessing this is a common fault with economical small Diesal engines.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took the car into the dealer and have spoken to Hyundai Customer Service UK about the lack of power and flat spots. The dealer told me its a characteristic of Hyundai's and they cannot look no further if they find no software faults. Customer service UK need the dealer to confirm the problem before any further investigation. Seems I'm stuck with a car that don't run smoothly and returns less that 50mpg even doing 80% of the driving on the motorway.
Hello Andy. The problem DOES have a solution as Hyundai came with a upgrade of the ECU which correct the problem. This is very new (15 April 2014 and is really working. I got it installed last week and it is really working! Big, wonderful difference.
Contact your dealer to fix the ECU.
Enjoy your IX20 after reprogrammation. You will not beleive how good it is.
PS: also use less gaz!:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello Davets,:00000732:
Frankly YES. However it appears only around 1600~1800 rpm and only at very low load on the engine. A little more pressure on the pedal and it disapear. Sound like the EGR is rapidly opening and fully closing. The benefit of the upgrade is immense. Now it is a real diesel engine with a lot more smoothnes. Side effect of this upgrade: the cruse control is now working properly at all time. And as said earlier, gas use is lower than before about 0.3l/100km. Today I drove about 120km country side/village roads and did 4.8l/100km. Before the upgrade it was usually around 5.2l/100km (this is a usual trip I'm doing to go to my daugther so I can compare). Will be confirmed again tomorrow. Seccond side effect: the shift gear display is a lot more accurate or usable. Before it was just ugly.
Remember to insist at your dealer:blink: as this is a very new update for the ECU. As said it is version "5". Before upgrade my car was at version "3"
As your car is older and may be have a lot more miles your EGR can also be dirty or you DPF can be clogged if you are facing problems
Enjoy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello,
I complained so much to the local agent that I got a special modification on mine: they inserted a flow reductor in the EGR pipe. Since then nothing really changed: the noise between 1600 and 2000 rpm when low load is still present (my guess: it is comming from the EGR opening and closing fast mode), the instability of the cruise control between 1900 and 2200 is still there (however the magnitude of the instability is reduced) again I think it is related to the working of the EGR. The bad acceleration in the low RPM (1500 to 2000) is still there when the temperature is above about 16°C
This car is wonderful, however it works good only when cold. So as autumn is comming, the temperature above 16° will reduce and give me more pleasent drive.
For sure at spring time, I'll get it to the chiptuning service to get rid definitively of this mechanicaly ridiculous function. I hopr then to get the car as it should be : good each and every day.
Enjoy this, aside of the motor, wonderful car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
new ECU program

Hello
as usual during the winter the temperature is cold :)
except at Hyundai, there it is always warm. So it took them 3 years to find out that the motor should also be able to work in cold countries. :)
This was my last discovery: when temperature is below 0°C the motor at start time is running like a glow plug is broken.
This is solved with a new update of the ECU.
Rush to your service dealer to get it. It is really working good.
Don't know what is is solved with this update.
Will discover when tempreature will rise above 16°C.
Enjoy this wonderful car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts