Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so the crazy thing is i just spoke to bisimoto on making a turbo kit for the elantra gt. The guys said if you can get 15 people to want this kit well have the turbo made in the states. So if you are in hit this thread up. He will tell us the pricing after 15 people jump on this. Im excited to see this kit.

If you you guys dont know who bisimoto they are the ones that made a 600hp elantra gt. The same exact kit is 12000, i told them i would if i had money. So if you are in on a 120-220 hp kit lets do this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So, it's $12k for the kit.

$20k for the car
$12k for the kit
~$2500 for custom tune
~$500+ for clutch and pressure plate to handle the xtra HP
~$2k in suspension upgrades to make the car handle the way a high HP car should. Not including aero upgrades. Add ~$500-1000
Oh, and exhaust.

~$40K Hyundai GT

-or-

New BMW 135i. 300 hp. Twin turbo. Rear wheel drive. Warranty. Starts at $39.3k Maintenance included. Will outrun and outdrive anything below $50k in stock form.

Look, I know the GT is a nice looking car and we certainly enjoy ours, but to put nearly 50% of the value of the car into mods and still end up with a meh performer doesn't sound like a good idea. The basic GT platform just isn't that great from a performance standpoint.

My $.02

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My bad

$20k for the car
$12k for the kit
~$2500 for custom tune
~$2k in suspension upgrades to make the car handle the way a high HP car should. Not including aero upgrades. Add ~$500-1000
Oh, and exhaust.

~$40K Hyundai GT

-or-

New BMW 135i. 300 hp. Twin turbo. Rear wheel drive. Warranty. Starts at $3Maintenance included. Will outrun and outdrive anything below $50k in stock form.

Look, I know the GT is a nice looking car and we certainly enjoy ours, but to put nearly 50% of the value of the car into mods and still end up with a meh performer doesn't sound like a good idea. The basic GT platform just isn't that great from a performance standpoint.

My $.02
My bad lemme clear this one up its 12k for the 600 hp we ain't trying to spend that much I understand where you coming from but not down to spend that much at most it will be pollution a grand not that much. But we won't know until we get 15 people. There not a lot of demand for the kit do thru haven't made me just specially for an everyday car just the track ldhow car

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bad lemme clear this one up its 12k for the 600 hp we ain't trying to spend that much I understand where you coming from but not down to spend that much at most it will be pollution a grand not that much. But we won't know until we get 15 people. There not a lot of demand for the kit do thru haven't made me just specially for an everyday car just the track ldhow car
We just need 15 people to be interested and we'll see how much this kit is and how much it can boost our cars.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I don't think you will get 15 people interested without a ballpark price.. we talking 1500 or 5000 or more?? I don't know what they are going to give us so is hard to say anything without more input.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think you will get 15 people interested without a ballpark price.. we talking 1500 or 5000 or more?? I don't know what they are going to give us so is hard to say anything without more input.
I agree they said if I can get ten to fifteen people wanting the same small kit they will accommodate us. And get us a price. I'll post up a picture once I get home been doing all this posting through my phone.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just want to see a ball park price they teasing me so hard. If we can someone get together and try to get this turbo kit for like a grand or less. If only lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
the other problem is people not wanting to lose out on the warranty. if the kit was cheap enough and the dealer wouldn't charge a lot either to have it installed to keep the warranty, not to mention if they would even still honor the warranty even if the dealer did put it in. I would love to put a turbo in as long as its a good price, I have been thinking about trading for something with more power but I really like the car so I cant decide.

·
22,793 Posts

$20k for the car
$12k for the kit
~$2500 for custom tune
Oh, and exhaust.

~$40K Hyundai GT

-or-

New BMW 135i. 300 hp. Twin turbo. Rear wheel drive. Warranty. Starts at $39.3k Maintenance included. Will outrun and outdrive anything below $50k in stock form.

My $.02
Your $0.02 worth of common sensibility is worth $1,000's. After this stuff is purchased, what's the installation gonna set the modifier back? For that kind of money, I could buy a 100k mile warrantied Genesis Coupe and have a bucket full of disposable income left for other things I covet. ;) Phooey, for $12 grand, I could modify & beef up the suspension, drop in a small block V-8, close ratio tranny, and low ratio rear end. And what would I have? Exactly...a Hyundai. Kinda like installing an elevator in an outhouse. Nothing more, possibly less. But I applaud the enthusiasm of the OP. If it feels good, then, by all means, do it.

Now, where were those classified ads for that Cobra, Corvette, Viper, and other real sports cars I was looking at?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think I just had an aneurism.

I promise the kit won't be much less than $12k. They'll probably just swap out a smaller turbo and turn the boost waaaay down. I predict ~$10-11k

The turbo kit for my 15 YO BMW is $12-14k and requires a host of accompanying mods and would never again pass smog.

Have you driven the new Merc CLA 250? Turbo 4 cylinder, FWD, no torque steer, goes like stink. $29.9k It's a game changer.

I think as this car ages, more will be offered. Maybe Hyundai will produce a turbo GT! :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I just had an aneurism.

I promise the kit won't be much less than $12k. They'll probably just swap out a smaller turbo and turn the boost waaaay down. I predict ~$10-11k

The turbo kit for my 15 YO BMW is $12-14k and requires a host of accompanying mods and would never again pass smog.

Have you driven the new Merc CLA 250? Turbo 4 cylinder, FWD, no torque steer, goes like stink. $29.9k It's a game changer.

I think as this car ages, more will be offered. Maybe Hyundai will produce a turbo GT! :p
I definitely agree with you m3chef, if we wait something will come along. They are just hanging that carrot in front of my face i just want to nib at to see what they have in store to be honest. Like if they somehow got it be cheap i will love to throw one on. That boostec turbo is like 3200, just wondering how much bisimoto will do it for. I just wish they can give us all a ballpark and not tease us.

·
22,793 Posts
What about all that extra boost you're packing inside and strain of the internals. Gonna upgrade pistons, valves, etc? What about the power train warranty? Or lack of, in this case. If you're serious, might as well add the Nox to her, too. Go for broke. Cause that's what you're gonna be. :wink2:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about all that extra boost you're packing inside and strain of the internals. Gonna upgrade pistons, valves, etc? What about the power train warranty? Or lack of, in this case. If you're serious, might as well add the Nox to her, too. Go for broke. Cause that's what you're gonna be. :wink2:
lol hahahah thats true. Shoot didnt think that one through.

·
Registered
616 Posts
To add to M3Chef's wise words, even if the kit is a more modest $6000 or so, add that to the cost of the GT and you're in Genesis Coupe territory and then some. The Genesis will still be superior in nearly every way.

We're not trying to put a damper on what you want to do, we're just trying to be realistic and show that there are much better options for the money if you want to go faster. ;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
At this point the math doesn't make sense to try and move up into a different car...because we all already own the GT.

You'd carry the cost of the buy-out from the dealer (unless you can sell it privately and pay off your loan entirely), and then the cost of the new car! At 40K + 12K residual (example) on the GT (because they won't give you more than $12K for it...) you'd be at $52K for your new Genesis Coupe. Not $40K.

For the turbo, even if it's $10K, plus $5K for tuning and "accessories" would be $15K lets say..all in. If you want to go higher boost, which I think we all agreed wouldn't really be necessary in the boostec thread, and get the pistons, rods, etc...you'd be at $35K invested in the car.

$35K is less than $52K, so you're WAY ahead still. You'd have a 4-door "sporty" hatch, with 230(+)hp, that is proven to be a good handler (*ahem*), and a shitload of fun.. toss another $1.5K at it for coilovers and wheels, and you'd be in hopped up heaven.

·
22,793 Posts
Well, you make a good point, Tim. Seems cheaper, to me, to recall what thrilled us buyers about our Elantra in the first place. So much, in fact, that we bought it. ;) Recall that, and we're back on our original path of saving thousands in the above referenced mods. :grin:

I'll go first (in no particular order): 1. Style 2. Warranty 3. Economy 4. Price 5. Bang for my buck. Hot rodding, drifting, autocross, or light-to-light for pinks never entered my mind.

:3gears: :wink2:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Here is how I look at it, not everyone has the credit for a loan on a factory hot hatch, or wants to make insurance payments for a sports car as a younger person. But if you can afford to build your one then why not, and it would be great if you could install it yourself and if you understood how to tune yourself..

is not for everyone but more power to the guys interested..

personally I think the car is plenty fast for a daily driver and I am perfectly okay making my car all show and no go haha

·
Registered
168 Posts
I live fairly close to their shop. I e-mailed them today. If they can get a turbo in my car for 5-6k installed. I'm game. I'll leave my car there for as long as they need to get it done right. I need a 350-400 hp daily driver.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts