Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my July issue of Road & Track and in their "Ampersand" section (page 28) they have a blurb on the Sonata Turbo and Hybrid.
Turbo - 274 HP and 269 ft. of torque, regular fuel, 22/34 mpg. Available in SE and Limited trim. Expected to start below $25K when it hits the market late this year.
Hybrid - Combined power from the 2.4 Atkinson-cycle 4 cylinder and the electric motor is 209 HP. 6 speed automatic transmission - no CVT. 39 mpg on the highway. 95.9lb of lithium-polymer batteries located in the forward section of the trunk. Prices to be announced. No intro date.
From the small pictures, a rear 3/4 view of the turbo looks like a standard SE. The hybrid looks like the pictures we've been seeing for the last few months.

Don

·
Registered
314 Posts
Myself, I'm hoping they give the Turbo Limited it's own unique set of rims, instead of the SE's seen in the preview pics.

·
1,914 Posts
The Sonata Hybrid needs to be cheaper than $27K to compete well. The fusions starts around that price. Knowing hyundai, they will load the Sonata up for $25-26k. I think it will sell well because people will see 39mpg+209 hp

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Jun 2 2010, 04:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328935
The Sonata Hybrid needs to be cheaper than $27K to compete well. The fusions starts around that price. Knowing hyundai, they will load the Sonata up for $25-26k. I think it will sell well because people will see 39mpg+209 hp

That and many of us are seeing over 39 Highway MPG, so I would hope that number is underrated for the hybrid. Then again, it's adding the weight of the batteries and electric motor.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was interested in the Hybrid until the description reared it's ugly head. When they say the battery pack resides in the forward section of the trunk it sounds like it will not have split fold down seats. A couple other hybrids also have this problem. That's why why the Prius went with a hatch back to eliminate this problem. Being a speed freak I was leaning towards the turbo anyway. Que Sera, Sera!

·
Registered
133 Posts
No fold-down seats AND if you look at the stats it will have greatly reduced trunk space. I dunno if this is gonna work for me because we will have 1 toddler + 1 baby and need to fit all the associated STUFF wherever we go. Gonna have to take a look.

Keep in mind that though the Hybrid has 9 more horsepower, it also has the added weight of the batteries. Of course that weight affects accel, but also handling and stopping.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (mostholycerebus @ Jun 3 2010, 09:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329208
No fold-down seats AND if you look at the stats it will have greatly reduced trunk space. I dunno if this is gonna work for me because we will have 1 toddler + 1 baby and need to fit all the associated STUFF wherever we go. Gonna have to take a look.

Keep in mind that though the Hybrid has 9 more horsepower, it also has the added weight of the batteries. Of course that weight affects accel, but also handling and stopping.
Eh, hybrids are so overrated IMHO... they're hardly even worth the premium you pay. I'm just happy with the MPGs my Sonata is giving me now.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
QUOTE (Gixer1k @ Jun 2 2010, 08:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328993
I was interested in the Hybrid until the description reared it's ugly head. When they say the battery pack resides in the forward section of the trunk it sounds like it will not have split fold down seats. A couple other hybrids also have this problem. That's why why the Prius went with a hatch back to eliminate this problem. Being a speed freak I was leaning towards the turbo anyway. Que Sera, Sera!
I saw the hybrid at the NY Auto Show in late March and I have pictures of the inside of the trunk. The battery pack does sit in the far forward portion of the trunk. The usable trunk space is further reduced by two other unique items. Above the battery is a pair of plastic ducts used to cool the battery pack, and that limits the ability to store items on top of the hybrid battery. Also, the 12V battery is relocated to the right rear corner of the trunk. Under the hood, the motor controller sits where the 12V battery does on our cars. The 12V battery is covered by a removable plastic panel that snaps into place.

The rear seats do not fold down, but there is a small pass-thru in the rear seat armrest that's big enough for a narrow pair of skis or a few boards of lumber.

For weight on the hybrid, I am reading that the pack weighs 95 pounds (less than those in the Toyota). And the drive motor takes the place of the torque converter in the transmission and would probably weigh about as much as the converter itself.

The rear mounted hybrid and 12V batteries will shift the weight distribution rearward, which can help handling if they tweak the suspension for it.

The car I saw was definitely a one-off development car - there was no VIN. But the general layout of everything looked like it was production intent, and it looked like it was put together very well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Anyone have an idea what the cost of battery replacement for hybrids are?...I think I've heard five or so years is the lifespan.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went to a ride n' drive event for the Sonata about a month ago and they showed us a lot of new product info (new Elantras are going to look great by the way). They revealed that we can expect the Sonata Turbo to come in October and start around $27,500. As for the hybrid they said closer to x-mas. One thing to remember is that while there is nearly 100 extra pounds for the hybrid's batteries thats nothing! This new lithium-polyimer technology they're using is going to allow them to have battery packs as thin as parcel envelopes and get a better charge then the current gen hybrid batteries in the competition. While I wouldn't get a hybrid this is something that belongs on the radar of any hybrid shopper.

·
Registered
650 Posts
QUOTE (sdaume @ Jun 3 2010, 11:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329480
I went to a ride n' drive event for the Sonata about a month ago and they showed us a lot of new product info (new Elantras are going to look great by the way). They revealed that we can expect the Sonata Turbo to come in October and start around $27,500. As for the hybrid they said closer to x-mas. One thing to remember is that while there is nearly 100 extra pounds for the hybrid's batteries thats nothing! This new lithium-polyimer technology they're using is going to allow them to have battery packs as thin as parcel envelopes and get a better charge then the current gen hybrid batteries in the competition. While I wouldn't get a hybrid this is something that belongs on the radar of any hybrid shopper.

Awesome news. So Limited fully loaded, possibly around 30k. 31k the most.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts