Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

GAME PLAN

Purchase: Sonata - SE Turbo (desire minimal add ons. Probably phantom black)

Options: Any must have's?

Timing: Plan to make the purchase between December 27-30

Dealer: I have done test drives at several central Texas Hyundai dealers. Anyone have a positive experience with a dealer in the greater Austin area?

Pricing: Like all gathered here, I am playing hide-an-go-seek to locate the best pricing. Insights welcome.

Kind regards,

Bill Siegrist
[email protected]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings Plasma George,

"So we're to asume you're not paying attention to the Left Pull issue with the new turbos?"

First day in the forum ... first time to learn about the Left Pull issue.

I welcome the education, please tell me more.

Thanks for helping me thru the learning curve.

Kind regards,

Bill Siegrist

·
Registered
213 Posts
Mine neither ... buy it from a dealership that is competent enough to read instructions on an alignment and you're good lol.

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (gq_neo @ Dec 6 2010, 06:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377289
Mine neither ... buy it from a dealership that is competent enough to read instructions on an alignment and you're good lol.
Obviously you're not paying attention to the issue, which is fine cause your car isn't doing it (or you haven't noticed or don't drive highways)
The Car tracks left intermittently/random with the car's alignment within spec. I'm sure it's not affecting 100% of Sonata Turbos, 10% is more than enough for a manufacturer to do a Recall.

I drove another Limited Turbo (they got 3 in) with the Service Manager, same pull left. That's 2 of 3, the other was sold waiting for the customer to pickup. A Hyundai Field rep is coming to witness this. I don't think a Hyundai rep would come out to show the Dealer how to work the alignment machine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah the left-pull issue seems to be pretty common, at least on the forums. Mine doesn't have the problem thankfully, and I made 100% sure after reading all the posts about it. I agree though, even 10% is enough for a recall.

I definitely wouldn't recommend against getting the car though. I absolutely love mine and highly recommend it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It is a great car no doubt. However much I love the car, I would NOT NOT NOT buy it unless you have driven it for at least 25 miles on the freeway and do not witness the left pull. I can't stress how aggrivating the left pull problem is, especially with no fix in sight. Simply take it for a drive on the freeway. At several points take your hands off the wheel. If at some point the car drifts to the left, take it back and do NOT, I repeat, do NOT purchase it until a fix is found. A perfectly aligned car still exhibits this behavior! If the car does not drift left, by all means purchase it without hesitation as it is awesome!

When a fix is found the car will be absolutely stellar. Until then it irks me and the wife to no end....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Vitty @ Dec 6 2010, 10:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377336
It is a great car no doubt. However much I love the car, I would NOT NOT NOT buy it unless you have driven it for at least 25 miles on the freeway and do not witness the left pull. I can't stress how aggrivating the left pull problem is, especially with no fix in sight. Simply take it for a drive on the freeway. At several points take your hands off the wheel. If at some point the car drifts to the left, take it back and do NOT, I repeat, do NOT purchase it until a fix is found. A perfectly aligned car still exhibits this behavior! If the car does not drift left, by all means purchase it without hesitation as it is awesome!

When a fix is found the car will be absolutely stellar. Until then it irks me and the wife to no end....

Good afternoon all,

Hopefully, I am responding in the correct place. Being new to the forum, I am still learning my way around. I was a bit unsure if I was in the correct forum, my interest is the Sonata - SE Turbo ... it not, I am sure someone will tell me where to go!

I have always believed, "Feedback is the breakfast of champions." I welcome the recommendations about the potential "left pull" and other issues. Taking a 25+ mile road test sounds wise.

At this point, I am not deterred in purchasing the Sonata - SE Turbo. After seemingly reading every review on the Internet and test drives at two dealers, I am sold.

Due to economic conditions, my company car (a clunky Chevy Impala) is going away, December 31st, that's part of my motivation. Finally, in lurking around the web, I am thankful to have found this forum ... especially with the December 31st deadline coming rapidly. Again, "Feedback is the breakfast of champions." I welcome your feedback.

Kind regards,

Bill Siegrist

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2.0T tracks straight on perfectly flat roads i.e. the local toll road , when the road is crowned even a little it will track somewhat to the left if your hands are off the wheel. It has also tracked to the right although not as much as the left on certain roads.
I believe the issue if it really is one is the electric steering you can almost "feel" the steering wheel having an ever so slight load on it all the time there is no free play when the wheel is on center like other cars.
It's nothing bad enough to not buy the car it's more of a quirk of electric steering or why is it doing it thing. Bottom line is you should never take both hands off the wheel anyway.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Mines pulls left. I have 100 miles on it and it pulled left the day I drove it home. I was fully aware of this issue when I purchased it. I am not that worried about it. I figure I give Hyundai a few weeks to figure out the proper repair procedure before I bring it in for service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up my Sonata Limited turbo on Nov 13th and a week later drove it to Florida and back (2,400 miles round trip). Never experienced the left pull and have been watching for it. Looks to me like it is not symptomatic of the entire line, just certain vehicles. I was very pleased with the car's performance on the initial trip. Averaged over 31 mpg (trip computer indicated 34) while driving mostly interstates at around 75 mph. On some tankfulls I got almost 600 miles. Throttle takes a little getting used to as response is immediate.

Like any car it is not perfect (would have liked remote start, memory seats, oil life monitor, etc. on a top of the line model) but all in all I'm pleased.

Initial dealer offer took $2,650 off sticker and then I negotiated another $1,000 for my trade. Felt the deal was reasonable for a brand new model.

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (bosco14 @ Dec 6 2010, 05:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377425
I believe the issue if it really is one is the electric steering you can almost "feel" the steering wheel having an ever so slight load on it all the time there is no free play when the wheel is on center like other cars.
It's nothing bad enough to not buy the car it's more of a quirk of electric steering or why is it doing it thing. Bottom line is you should never take both hands off the wheel anyway.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
"ever so slight load"...."if it really is one"
When a car is going straight, and the wheel needs to be straight, there should be NO/ZERO forces acting on the car tracking it off center.....this is the huge safety risk. There should be minimal effort on the wheel to keep it centered, you should NEVER have to react to a force pulling the car. Amplify that situation at 75mph, in the center lane between to 18 wheelers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This car has 18's with relatively low profile tires. Sometimes they tend to follow the contours of the road, that is just the nature of a 225/45 R18 wheel and tire combo. Even a perfectly set up car will tend to jerk the wheel if you drive over a very wavy contoured road with this tire size. These tires don't seem to tramrail but that can do it too.

·
Registered
655 Posts
QUOTE (MattPSU @ Dec 7 2010, 06:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377729
This car has 18's with relatively low profile tires. Sometimes they tend to follow the contours of the road, that is just the nature of a 225/45 R18 wheel and tire combo. Even a perfectly set up car will tend to jerk the wheel if you drive over a very wavy contoured road with this tire size. These tires don't seem to tramrail but that can do it too.
"Proof is in the Pudding" shoots down your theory, my fellow Pennsylvanian.

The SE nonturbos have been on the streets all year with this same tire/wheel combo, not to mention all Nissan Maximas with 18" wheels.

Something in the Turbo model + the Limited (standard) suspension + the 18" rim/tire combo.

·
Registered
150 Posts
QUOTE (Plasma George @ Dec 7 2010, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377766
"Proof is in the Pudding" shoots down your theory, my fellow Pennsylvanian.

The SE nonturbos have been on the streets all year with this same tire/wheel combo, not to mention all Nissan Maximas with 18" wheels.

Something in the Turbo model + the Limited (standard) suspension + the 18" rim/tire combo.
Just saying the nature of the low profile wheel can combine with other factors to make a bigger problem.

I did notice my SE turbo does tend to be kinda dead on center and wander on some off camber roads but nothing at all concerning to me.

·
Registered
945 Posts
After reading all of the posts here I would like to also add my experience. We just bought a 2011 Limited Turbo with Nav. If I am driving on a flat surface the car the will drift to the left which is normal due to the built-in alignment to counter road crown. When I'm driving on most streets it drives perfectly straight when I take my hands off the wheel. When I accelerate I do get the pull to left but it is not like some here have stated (hard pull), it's gentle and not that big of a deal. I dunno, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones? Also, depending on a persons weight, this will affect alignment as well and if there is an alignment issue this could make it worse. We got the one with the Pearl White paint and it is just beautiful! I am so happy with the fit and finish with this car! :thumbsup: Tight as a drum too! The looks we get is kind of funny also! Especially from the BMW-Lexus-Infinity-Acura crowd :grin: After they see the Hyundai badge they are scratch their heads like DANG! That thing is nice! I mean, the car is HOT, no getting around that, I am so happy I purchased this car! I absolutely love it! -Al

1 - 20 of 20 Posts