Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm whether the Turbo's are being shipped from the factory with Synthetic or regular oil. I inquired at two different dealerships and received mixed responses. Any suggestions for first oil change and subsequent oil change intervals under "normal" operating conditions.
Thanks,

·
Registered
386 Posts
QUOTE (The Rock13 @ Nov 12 2010, 08:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371251
Can anyone confirm whether the Turbo's are being shipped from the factory with Synthetic or regular oil. I inquired at two different dealerships and received mixed responses. Any suggestions for first oil change and subsequent oil change intervals under "normal" operating conditions.
Thanks,
I got told regular old engine oil :)

no fancy additives or nothing

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (blacksapphirez @ Nov 13 2010, 07:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371310
I got told regular old engine oil :)

no fancy additives or nothing
Spoke with the dealer on Saturday, he indicated Turbo's have Synthetic Oil, which would make sense given the output from such a small engine. In any event, I will be utilizing Synthetic going forward. For those that have already purchased a Turbo, what info are you getting from your dealers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (BiGMERF @ Nov 14 2010, 11:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371540
im interested in knowing also... Another thing i would like to know is if you guys are using regular or premium gas.. thanx
Still on first tank of gas, dealer filled with Regular, around town (Surburban) driving averaging 26.3 MPG, not bad for not being broken in yet. Haven't been on the open highway as of yet. Very pleased, with acceleration, just have to feather the gas pedal and she moves out, nicely and I'm coming from a 300HP V6 vehicle.

Go Jets vs. Browns.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
From what I've heard there is absolutely no benefit to using other other fuel grade than regular. I plan on swapping over to Mobile 1 after the first 500 miles.

btw, J.E.T.S. Jets Jets Jets! It was a bit of a nail bitter.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Nov 14 2010, 05:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=371607
From what I've heard there is absolutely no benefit to using other other fuel grade than regular. I plan on swapping over to Mobile 1 after the first 500 miles.

btw, J.E.T.S. Jets Jets Jets! It was a bit of a nail bitter.
What about a synthetic blend?

ps. Jets! They are giving me grey hairs the past 2 weeks... But they did what good teams do, find a way to win even though they look like they supposed to lose

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am currently having a warranty issue in regards to the turbo actuator on my I30 deisal having a bad squell noise (similar noise to belt slip). They have put it down to the oil, i use a fully synthetic 10w - 30w, as indicated in the manual for my local conditions (sydney Australia). Hyundai say I should have used a 5w - 10w fully synthetic. So if your car is under warranty be carefull if you do not get it serviced by a hyundai dealer. The strange thing is oil does not go in the actuator from what i can figure.
cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo with 136000 miles and I have always run 5w-30 Synthetic. Based upon numerous posts to other Forums, synthetic is the only way to go for the turbo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I am going use synthetic oil and just use regular unleaded in mine. So far for just owning and driving it for 1 day (on vaca until monday) :) and putting on 345 miles (6 miles on OD) when I drove off the lot and I still have half a tank of gas with mixed city/highway driving all day today and I punch the gas and run it hard, I am sticking with regular. My 08 honda civic si hated premium and ran better on 87 instead of 91. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
19 Posts
QUOTE (NCBear @ Nov 20 2010, 06:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373293
Well I am going use synthetic oil and just use regular unleaded in mine. So far for just owning and driving it for 1 day (on vaca until monday) :) and putting on 345 miles (6 miles on OD) when I drove off the lot and I still have half a tank of gas with mixed city/highway driving all day today and I punch the gas and run it hard, I am sticking with regular. My 08 honda civic si hated premium and ran better on 87 instead of 91. Just my 2 cents.

I just wanted to ask...how is everyone dealing with the break in period? Anyone changing the oil at about 800 to 1000 miles? My dealership gives 1st year Maint free. I really need some clear evidence that the turbo comes with synthetic. I want to make sure they do it right.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Although Hyundai doesn't specifically recommend Synthetic in the manual, speaking with several Hyundai and Dealer reps - from a personal perspective they overwhelmingly suggested Full Synthetic for the Turbo. Based on these conversations that's the route I'll be taking...

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (The Rock13 @ Dec 15 2010, 06:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380248
Although Hyundai doesn't specifically recommend Synthetic in the manual, speaking with several Hyundai and Dealer reps - from a personal perspective they overwhelmingly suggested Full Synthetic for the Turbo. Based on these conversations that's the route I'll be taking...
Absolutely! Full Synthetic for the turbo is the only way to go! and for the engine!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
QUOTE (DWPTECH @ Dec 16 2010, 08:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380687
Absolutely! Full Synthetic for the turbo is the only way to go! and for the engine!
I am a big believer in regular Dino oil... except for turbos. Those wind vanes spin at incredibly high speeds, which can lead to incredibly high bearing temperatures, which can turn dino oil into liquid sandpaper. But don't worry. This poses no risk of catastrophic failure until sometime after your warranty runs out. :laughing:

As for the engine... meh. It can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
945 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Dec 16 2010, 10:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380697
I am a big believer in regular Dino oil... except for turbos. Those wind vanes spin at incredibly high speeds, which can lead to incredibly high bearing temperatures, which can turn dino oil into liquid sandpaper. But don't worry. This poses no risk of catastrophic failure until sometime after your warranty runs out. :laughing:

As for the engine... meh. It can't tell the difference.
It's true Don, the new synthetic blend SM rated oils are very very good. I'm only going to run Amsoil cuz a friend of mine is a dealer and I get it at a good price. It's just a personal preference really. If you ran the 5/40 for the turbo you will never have a problem. I am always looking to save money and get the best possible engine protection available. The way I save money is to go for extended drain intervals. With Amsoil it will double and in some cases triple what the factory drian intervals recommend. We have been brian washed into this 3,000 mile oil change which is awesome for the oil companies. But we here in the US waste millions of unnecessary oil changes every year. In the 30 plus years Amsoil has been on the market, there has not been one single engine failure due to the oil or it's extened drain interval and you are noticing that the car maufactures here in the US are catching on with 7,500 mile oil changes not 3,000. In europe they change oil minimum at 10,000 miles. What I do for example, if my oil drain interval is 15,000 miles or even 20,000, I would change only the filter at mid point not the oil. Todays engines run extremely clean so this is not a problem to extend the oil changes with Amsoil. I wouldnt go that far with conventional oils but I would with Amsoil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
QUOTE (DWPTECH @ Dec 16 2010, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380687
I'm a believer in synthetic oil, too (especially in colder climes), having consistently used Mobil One in my other cars since about the time it first came out. I see that, though the Sonata manual specifies 5w-30 (API SM), which is standard Mobil One fare, it preferentially calls for 5w-40 (API SM) in the 2.0 turbo, if that weight is available. So I loaded up on the more expensive Mobile One 5w-40 at Walmart, even though this oil is marked, and marketed, as for 'turbo diesel truck' use (but it has the required specifications for gasoline applications, too, and in the fine print is also recommended for gasoline use).

Just wondering if anyone here is as old-school (or anal!) as I am on the time for first oil-change: I've got about 500 miles on this so-far-babied new Sonata, and am planning to get the oil changed over to the 5w-40 synthetic at around 1000 miles. I'm not sure what kind of oil is in there from the factory, anyway, and have always thought it was wise to do the first oil change early on, despite what the manual and the dealers say. Am I alone?

1 - 20 of 101 Posts