Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have just bought a H100 with a plan to convert it into a camper.
I took it for a good drive and the turbo started cutting out. It seems to happen when i give it a touch too much pedal and is accompanied with a check engine light coming on.
Overall i like this van and am hoping someone will help with this problem :))

Thanks

dowey

·
Registered
103 Posts
Turbos don't just cut out as you say. From what I have experienced with trucks etc, If the Turbo ( internal blades) did let go, then you would have a lot of smoke out exhaust from Oil, and depending if the blades broke off as to where they went then you would have a nice rattle and a Mess internally. What year model do you have, as it could be the Intercooler, and normally when they get a leak, then there is a lot of Hissing sound under acceleration. I would get a Diesel mechanic to check it out. Plus you could get a diagnostic meter check WHY the check engine light comes on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 2001 ..i am a novice when it comes to these motors and just quessed at the problem.
I dont notice smoke and havnt noticed hissing but will run it with engine cover open to make sure.
The van will run really nice until i try to overtake or speed up too quickly, it then loses power but if i turn ignition off and restart it, it will run normal again. The problem is accompanied with the check engine light coming on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Its a 2001 ..i am a novice when it comes to these motors and just quessed at the problem.
I dont notice smoke and havnt noticed hissing but will run it with engine cover open to make sure.
The van will run really nice until i try to overtake or speed up too quickly, it then loses power but if i turn ignition off and restart it, it will run normal again. The problem is accompanied with the check engine light coming on.
I would take to a Dealer or Licenced Mechanic to get them to Plug in their Diagnostics Gadget, This will ( or should ) say Why the Check Engine light comes on:confused:. This should definitely be you first point of call. When I say smoke, It will be Plenty and also Oil blowing out exhaust If it is the Turbo. Just seems to me as if it could have had Bugger all proper services including Fuel filters. Next place would be a Diesel Mechanic, as Possibly the Fuel Pump is Not pumping Diesel through at the Very HIGH pressure that is needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks steamtrain, i will take it in today ..i had changed oil and air filter and will deff do fuel filter today as it had not crossed my mind ...i think i will have to do a bit of studying on how these things work :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to update ..the garage said the diagnostic port didnt work but they are sure its the vacuum valve for the turbo causing the problem ...off to find a couple of them now!
Bit miffed my diagnostic thingy isnt working as i can forsee it being a problem down the road a bit ..ah well ..still loving the wee van though :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just to update ..the garage said the diagnostic port didnt work but they are sure its the vacuum valve for the turbo causing the problem ...off to find a couple of them now!
Bit miffed my diagnostic thingy isnt working as i can forsee it being a problem down the road a bit ..ah well ..still loving the wee van though :)
Not sure if there is a separate fuse to run the Diagnostics. I do know that even if the check engine light goes out, That it will keep in memory what faults have come up. There are a Couple Different Machines, and maybe you Mechanic has the older type. Do you have a Hyundai Dealer close by as they should have up to date one. With the Fuel filter I think you will find there is also a Water Separator Trap, as Water can Ruin a Diesel Engine. Where as a Petrol is not as bad.
These Engines they say need servicing every 7500km, But any diesel needs more frequent servicing. But Deff change the fuel filter, If the same as mine, It is behind the battery,near firewall. You will see a silver canister. Also remember you will need to Bleed any Air out of the fuel lines again. On Top of the Filter housing is a plunger to pump, and get your mechanic to show you which Bleed screw to release to get air out of line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Dowey,
i had exactly the same issue, was fine around town then give it some and it would go into limp mode, lack of power and ECL light come on. i eventually traced it to the waste gate being jammed. i had to get under the van spray the bottom of the actautor arm with a liberal amout of WD40 (or similar) and then gave the arm a gentle tap with a mallet (up and down)eventually it came fee, by free i mean i could move it by hand by pulling on the actuator arm. i then took it for a test drive, wham bam thank you mam full power restored. problem was the waste gate being jammed shut so at turbo was overboosting. let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Jonah, cheers for that ..will take a look at that in the morning ...am lifting the front up to do a bit of work at the underbody so will check it out :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts