Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I had a flat. I went to loosen the lug nuts just now. Did 4 out of 5. Had to do that thing where you stand on the tire iron and put your weight on it (if anyone knows a different, more effective method, please let me know). On the fifth one, my adapter tool broke. It scratched a chunk from my wheel too, which I am not happy about. Will Hyundai replace this part for me? Can I get one at an auto parts store to use right away? I need to get my car back on the road for the work week.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Socket not Hyundai, wheels not Hyundai,, unknown who install whell nuts, and if torque wrench used,, I will venture you are on your own with this

LOWES for long 1/2 drive breaker bar and 1/2 drive 6pt impact socket to fit nuts for removal,, and torque wrench for install

Reactions: mmahamm and grcauto

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey BeerOnTap, would check your private message, please? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Pick up an impact socket that fits and a breaker bar.

Reactions: mmahamm

·
Registered
207 Posts
if anyone knows a different, more effective method, please let me know
First of all, go to respectable tire places where they don't use the impact wrench at full power for tightening the nuts, but rather use a torque wrench to finish off the tightening. That should help in the future.
For breaking loose those nuts use a breaker bar or, if not available, lift the wrench by grabbing on to it while crouching and standing up (i.e. using your leg muscles instead of your upper body weight which is what would be the force when pushing it down). Jumping on the bar is very dangerous both for your wheel, tools as well as your personal safety.

A tool that I purchased for my previous car after breaking my socket just like you is a 1/2" driver with telescopic handle (like this one but got it from Harbor Freight for about $10). It works nice as a breaker bar and becomes small enough to be used as a normal wrench.

·
Registered
882 Posts
You can find that tool from auto wrecking. just find a long metal pipe that can fit the wrench as extension, can be water pipe, pole or even pvc pipe, as long as possible, then you can break loose any of lug nut in 5 sec

·
Registered
842 Posts
As mentioned by vladk2k, just flip the wrench around and pull up instead of try to push down on the bar. You're really limited by your weight when you push down. But when you pull up, you can use your leg and arm muscles together.

Also, don't use an impact to tighten wheel lug nuts. Someone apparently did that in your case.

Also, what kind of flat is it?? You can save some money and plug it depending on if it's a nail/screw??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts