Hyundai Forums banner

Tucson model year 2018 hesitation from stop

10K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  jdskycaster 
#1 ·
On carcomplaints.com, the complaints about hesitation from stop have decreased dramatically from 2016 to 2018. So far, there are still 3 complaints for the 2018 model. Is the hesitation issue finally fixed for model year 2018?

#2 ·
THe 2016s have been in service for two years longer. For apples-to-apples, you would compare the 2018 complaint number to how many complaints were made on the 2016 before October 2016.

#3 ·
Are you having a problem?
Best practices for requesting help:

* If you haven't done so fill in your vehicle info and profile page. Shows up to the left
* Be sure you are in the correct forum for your vehicle.
* Do a search for your problem. A lot of stuff has been asked and answered.
* Do not double post for the same problem.
* Give the model year....Engine size...transmission type (auto or standard)
* VIN number can be very helpful.
* Did you buy the vehicle new, if not, how many miles were on it when purchased? How many miles on it now?
* Describe the problem the best you can.
* Tell us what has been tried, if anything.
* If the vehicle has been to a repair facility it would be nice if you can scan or take picture of the bill and attach it to the post.
* If your vehicle is under warranty you should have the dealer check it out. If it's an issue they see many times they will generate a safety recall or do a TSB. This is how they know.

This information can save a lot of time and get you the answers you need much faster.

Thanks,
Welcome aboard.

#4 · (Edited)
I'm going to say no, have not been fixed. I can't back that up with anything other than there have been no official Hyundai fixes/recalls/campaigns/TSBs or anything else since 2016 that would signal that anything was fixed going forward.

For 2017 models, there are complaints on the NHTSA website about hesitation, as well as in this forum, as well as in my driveway. If they fixed anything in 2016 it did not carry over to 2017, and therefore I see no reason that it would carry over to 2018.

However, there does seem to be many variants or causes of hesitation, so it really depends which specific issue you're referring to.

Hesitation of the DCT is "normal", yet the DCT has been removed from most 2018's. They knew they had a problem there. This alone does not guarantee you an issue-free car. I do not have a DCT and have problems.

#5 ·
I'm going to say no, have not been fixed. I can't back that up with anything other than there have been no official Hyundai fixes/recalls/campaigns/TSBs or anything else since 2016 that would signal that anything was fixed going forward.

For 2017 models, there are complaints on the NHTSA website about hesitation, as well as in this forum, as well as in my driveway. If they fixed anything in 2016 it did not carry over to 2017, and therefore I see no reason that it would carry over to 2018.

However, there does seem to be many variants or causes of hesitation, so it really depends which specific issue you're referring to.

Hesitation of the DCT is "normal", yet the DCT has been removed from most 2018's. They knew they had a problem there. This alone does not guarantee you an issue-free car. I do not have a DCT and have problems.
They removed it because people do not understand, or know how to drive, the DCT and they just got tired of people complaining. Wait till the go to CVT. Everyone will wish for the DCT back. LOL. Took me one 500 mile trip and a little internet searching to understand, and get used to my DCT.

#6 ·
I avoided the DCT when I bought a Tucson.
Don't care it's 2 less city MPG, don't care it takes a second longer to 60 mph.
Don't mind having to press the go pedal a little farther.
I wanted a transmission I can count on going when I need it to go.
Didn't want to have to tailor my driving to the transmission's needs.
Mind you 4 of the last 6 cars I've owned were stick shifts.

#15 ·
Busted record warning:
There are always those who 'have no issue', but the manufacturer has the big picture to consider. Fact is DCT adoption has been a PR nightmare in Hyundai's primary global market. It only took what, couple hundred complaints (reasons irrelevant now) to cause a perception stink - that's just fact.
It's also fact if you present an almost 100% slushbox conditioned market with PRND then require they drive ANY differently, it's on you, not them. Hyundai got that.

I'm not bashing DCT - it sounds like a superior xmission in principle. No wonder it's still offered on their smaller, sportier cars - and on Tucson in regions were drivers' right foot are more used to manuals. Even then, I expect it will be gone by next all new Tucson, replaced with IVT and/or 8 spd auto.

#25 ·
Just bought my wife an 18' with the 1.6T and DCT. Had not done any amount of in-depth research on these other than reading some of the third party reviews from C&D, Edmunds etc....

What I can say so far with a few hundred miles behind the wheel myself. The car responds exactly how I would expect it to. To say it another way, it shifts very smoothly and from a stop I have not experienced what I would call any abnormal hesitation. Perhaps it has been fixed in the later models or at least our 18' appears to be.

Is this vehicle a red light rocket? Absolutely not but I also do not expect a 3500lb vehicle with a small turbo 4 and 175HP to be a rocket either. This is one thing I did know from reading the reported 0-60 times in the reviews.

During our comparison shopping I did take short drives in the CRV and the CX-5 as these were the only other two options my wife was considering. She also drove the Santa Fe but did not like the size and/or feel of it.

While I think the CX-5 was the best performer and best handling of the bunch, my wife ended up liking the Tucson the best overall. I will say the CVT in the CRV is doing it zero favors in the performance department and I was really glad she did not pick it.

The other vehicle I have had a chance to compare is a loaner Rogue that my Nissan dealer let me drive for a week while my Armada was getting some warranty work done to it. That thing was absolutely abysmal and even though it was brand new I hope it had some sort of issue with it as that thing could barely get out of its own way from a standing start. Not sure if it the engine is just low on HP or if its the CVT in that as well that completely lets it down. I definitely won't be purchasing any vehicle with a CVT transmission in it anytime soon...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.