Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On carcomplaints.com, the complaints about hesitation from stop have decreased dramatically from 2016 to 2018. So far, there are still 3 complaints for the 2018 model. Is the hesitation issue finally fixed for model year 2018?

·
Registered
846 Posts
THe 2016s have been in service for two years longer. For apples-to-apples, you would compare the 2018 complaint number to how many complaints were made on the 2016 before October 2016.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
On carcomplaints.com, the complaints about hesitation from stop have decreased dramatically from 2016 to 2018. So far, there are still 3 complaints for the 2018 model. Is the hesitation issue finally fixed for model year 2018?
Are you having a problem?
Best practices for requesting help:

* If you haven't done so fill in your vehicle info and profile page. Shows up to the left
* Be sure you are in the correct forum for your vehicle.
* Do a search for your problem. A lot of stuff has been asked and answered.
* Do not double post for the same problem.
* Give the model year....Engine size...transmission type (auto or standard)
* VIN number can be very helpful.
* Did you buy the vehicle new, if not, how many miles were on it when purchased? How many miles on it now?
* Describe the problem the best you can.
* Tell us what has been tried, if anything.
* If the vehicle has been to a repair facility it would be nice if you can scan or take picture of the bill and attach it to the post.
* If your vehicle is under warranty you should have the dealer check it out. If it's an issue they see many times they will generate a safety recall or do a TSB. This is how they know.

This information can save a lot of time and get you the answers you need much faster.

Thanks,
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm going to say no, have not been fixed. I can't back that up with anything other than there have been no official Hyundai fixes/recalls/campaigns/TSBs or anything else since 2016 that would signal that anything was fixed going forward.

For 2017 models, there are complaints on the NHTSA website about hesitation, as well as in this forum, as well as in my driveway. If they fixed anything in 2016 it did not carry over to 2017, and therefore I see no reason that it would carry over to 2018.

However, there does seem to be many variants or causes of hesitation, so it really depends which specific issue you're referring to.

Hesitation of the DCT is "normal", yet the DCT has been removed from most 2018's. They knew they had a problem there. This alone does not guarantee you an issue-free car. I do not have a DCT and have problems.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm going to say no, have not been fixed. I can't back that up with anything other than there have been no official Hyundai fixes/recalls/campaigns/TSBs or anything else since 2016 that would signal that anything was fixed going forward.

For 2017 models, there are complaints on the NHTSA website about hesitation, as well as in this forum, as well as in my driveway. If they fixed anything in 2016 it did not carry over to 2017, and therefore I see no reason that it would carry over to 2018.

However, there does seem to be many variants or causes of hesitation, so it really depends which specific issue you're referring to.

Hesitation of the DCT is "normal", yet the DCT has been removed from most 2018's. They knew they had a problem there. This alone does not guarantee you an issue-free car. I do not have a DCT and have problems.
They removed it because people do not understand, or know how to drive, the DCT and they just got tired of people complaining. Wait till the go to CVT. Everyone will wish for the DCT back. LOL. Took me one 500 mile trip and a little internet searching to understand, and get used to my DCT.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I avoided the DCT when I bought a Tucson.
Don't care it's 2 less city MPG, don't care it takes a second longer to 60 mph.
Don't mind having to press the go pedal a little farther.
I wanted a transmission I can count on going when I need it to go.
Didn't want to have to tailor my driving to the transmission's needs.
Mind you 4 of the last 6 cars I've owned were stick shifts.

·
Registered
284 Posts
They removed it because people do not understand, or know how to drive, the DCT and they just got tired of people complaining. Wait till the go to CVT. Everyone will wish for the DCT back. LOL. Took me one 500 mile trip and a little internet searching to understand, and get used to my DCT.
Remember it's only 'removed' in North America. And I'm pretty sure said market would love a well executed CVT, or IVT as Hyundai/Kia call it.
If they hated CVT they wouldn't be gobbling up CRVs, Rogues etc.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Remember it's only 'removed' in North America. And I'm pretty sure said market would love a well executed CVT, or IVT as Hyundai/Kia call it.
If they hated CVT they wouldn't be gobbling up CRVs, Rogues etc.
A CRV is the last thing you want to buy now. I was going to buy one when I got rid of the Santa Fe. Good thing I did my research. Honda is having a HUGE issue with fuel dilution in oil. So bad its overfilling the crankcase. Its been going on for a couple years and there is still no fix. A few places they stopped selling CRV's until Honda fixes the issue. I had joined the CRV forum to read up on it. I had a 09 Accord with a CVT and it was flat out horrible. Got rid of it at 7K miles. Honda is riding on its name and people see Honda and think "reliability" . Not so anymore. Everyone is still waiting on a "well executed" CVT.

I know what people are talking about with the hesitation on the DCT. I can make mine do it whenever I want. I also know how to make it not do it. Like I said.....Took me a little internet research and a 500 mile trip to understand why it does what it does. Its definitely different but I much rather have it than "current" CVT's

·
Registered
842 Posts
A CRV is the last thing you want to buy now. I was going to buy one when I got rid of the Santa Fe. Good thing I did my research. Honda is having a HUGE issue with fuel dilution in oil. So bad its overfilling the crankcase. Its been going on for a couple years and there is still no fix. A few places they stopped selling CRV's until Honda fixes the issue. I had joined the CRV forum to read up on it. I had a 09 Accord with a CVT and it was flat out horrible. Got rid of it at 7K miles. Honda is riding on its name and people see Honda and think "reliability" . Not so anymore. Everyone is still waiting on a "well executed" CVT.

I know what people are talking about with the hesitation on the DCT. I can make mine do it whenever I want. I also know how to make it not do it. Like I said.....Took me a little internet research and a 500 mile trip to understand why it does what it does. Its definitely different but I much rather have it than "current" CVT's
Yea, for the most part, once you get into 2nd gear, it's really nice after that. Shifts like a sports car.

·
Registered
284 Posts

The point remains the average person rejecting a CRV today isn't doing it because it has a CVT, but rather because of a serious (cold weather?) engine issue.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The point remains the average person rejecting a CRV today isn't doing it because it has a CVT, but rather because of a serious (cold weather?) engine issue.
No. The point is every vehicle has its own set of issues. The DCT is also not an issue if you know how to drive it.

·
Registered
941 Posts
The DCT is also not an issue if you know how to drive it.
There shouldn't be any issues because it's an automatic. It might very well be an automated manual clutch but it's still an automatic. You shouldn't have to "know how to drive it" in order to be safe. You shouldn't have to try and modify your driving habits to make the car happy and operate correctly. If you press the gas it should go. If you're in stop and go traffic it shouldn't be in the user manual to leave extra space between the car in front of you because your car can't handle and perform the stop and go action properly. If you're pulling out into oncoming traffic the car shouldn't hesitate or just completely stop. So many reported problems that can't be simply regarded as 'don't know how to drive a DCT'.

The whole DCT "trial" is a failure. Every manufacturer that has had a DCT has had major problems with them. And for the most part they've all been removed.

·
Registered
842 Posts
There shouldn't be any issues because it's an automatic. It might very well be an automated manual clutch but it's still an automatic. You shouldn't have to "know how to drive it" in order to be safe. You shouldn't have to try and modify your driving habits to make the car happy and operate correctly. If you press the gas it should go. If you're in stop and go traffic it shouldn't be in the user manual to leave extra space between the car in front of you because your car can't handle and perform the stop and go action properly. If you're pulling out into oncoming traffic the car shouldn't hesitate or just completely stop. So many reported problems that can't be simply regarded as 'don't know how to drive a DCT'.

The whole DCT "trial" is a failure. Every manufacturer that has had a DCT has had major problems with them. And for the most part they've all been removed.
The problem is marketing, it really shouldn't be referred to as an "automatic," Instead it really should be called a semi-automatic transmission. At least that's the family it falls under. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_transmission

·
Registered
525 Posts

No issues with mine in any of the scenarios you state. Also, you don't even own a DCT, as you stated in post #4. LOL

·
Registered
284 Posts
Busted record warning:
There are always those who 'have no issue', but the manufacturer has the big picture to consider. Fact is DCT adoption has been a PR nightmare in Hyundai's primary global market. It only took what, couple hundred complaints (reasons irrelevant now) to cause a perception stink - that's just fact.
It's also fact if you present an almost 100% slushbox conditioned market with PRND then require they drive ANY differently, it's on you, not them. Hyundai got that.

I'm not bashing DCT - it sounds like a superior xmission in principle. No wonder it's still offered on their smaller, sportier cars - and on Tucson in regions were drivers' right foot are more used to manuals. Even then, I expect it will be gone by next all new Tucson, replaced with IVT and/or 8 spd auto.

·
Registered
941 Posts
No issues with mine in any of the scenarios you state. Also, you don't even own a DCT, as you stated in post #4. LOL
Correct, I do not because I did not want any problems with a DCT, and yet I still have transmission issues.

As conqr said, just because YOU do not have issues does not mean that thousands of other people don't have issues. Whether it's a 'how you drive' issue or a hardware/software problem with the car is irrelevant, there's an issue that needs to be rectified one way or the other.

Hyundai has attempted to rectify the issues by removing the DCT, so clearly it's not a problem they want to tackle. But how about the issues that exist and persist with non-DCT transmissions? That's what I am faced with.

I'm glad YOU do not have issues with your car. I'm on the edge of taking a big loss on a year old car and trading out of mine because of a problem that can't be resolved.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts