Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In previous years models you could disable Smart Cruise Control buy pressing the vehicle distance button for a few seconds. In the 2022 this does not work. Is there any way to get manual cruise control? This is helpful in case the sensor gets dirty or if you are "old school".

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid
92 Posts
In previous years models you could disable Smart Cruise Control buy pressing the vehicle distance button for a few seconds. In the 2022 this does not work. Is there any way to get manual cruise control? This is helpful in case the sensor gets dirty or if you are "old school".
^ @btownsend13 - In the '22 Tucson, to disable Smart Cruise Control and switch to standard cruise control you need to press and hold the "Driving Assist" (top right) button on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ @btownsend13 - In the '22 Tucson, to disable Smart Cruise Control and switch to standard cruise control you need to press and hold the "Driving Assist" (top right) button on the steering wheel.
Thanks for the reply. I did try that but it puts it in “speed limiter” mode which I feel isn’t very useful.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I did try that but it puts it in “speed limiter” mode which I feel isn’t very useful.
What do you mean by "speed limiter" mode?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean by "speed limiter" mode?
Here is a pic. Basically if you long press the “Driving Assist” button (top right button) it enables a function that limits the speed. In the case of this pic it is 65. You can depress the accelerator all the way and it won’t go past 65 in this case. Let off the accelerator and the car slows down. I am looking for setting cruise to a certain speed while not having to stay on the accelerator. Yes, smart cruise does this but it is very jerky when cars are around and the following distance is too far for my liking so I would prefer manual cruise.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here is a pic. Basically if you long press the “Driving Assist” button (top right button) it enables a function that limits the speed. In the case of this pic it is 65. You can depress the accelerator all the way and it won’t go past 65 in this case. Let off the accelerator and the car slows down. I am looking for setting cruise to a certain speed while not having to stay on the accelerator. Yes, smart cruise does this but it is very jerky when cars are around and the following distance is too far for my liking so I would prefer manual cruise.
^ @btownsend13 - Thanks for that info. Interesting! My understanding of how things are supposed to work in the '22 Tucson was obviously mistaken. I've confirmed the "Speed Limiter" mode you describe in my own '22 Tucson, which I had earlier assumed to be conventional cruise control. The owner's manual (for Canada) mentions "Manual Speed Limit Assist" (MSLA) on page 7-77, which basically describes "Speed Limiter" mode.
I emailed Hyundai Canada today asking how I can toggle from Smart Cruise Control to conventional cruise control in my '22 Tucson - we'll see what they come back with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ @btownsend13 - Thanks for that info. Interesting! My understanding of how things are supposed to work in the '22 Tucson was obviously mistaken. I've confirmed the "Speed Limiter" mode you describe in my own '22 Tucson, which I had earlier assumed to be conventional cruise control. The owner's manual (for Canada) mentions "Manual Speed Limit Assist" (MSLA) on page 7-77, which basically describes "Speed Limiter" mode.
I emailed Hyundai Canada today asking how I can toggle from Smart Cruise Control to conventional cruise control in my '22 Tucson - we'll see what they come back with.
Ok thanks for contacting them. I hope they have good news because I searched the manual and like you can’t find anything. Cheers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello there!
I am from Romania and I just bought a 2021 Santa Fe.
Searching the internet about how to toggle between smart cruise control and conventional cruise control, I came upon this topic.
Assuming that there are a lot of similarities between the softwares of these models, I am looking forward to see if Hyundai Canada can offer some info.
The local dealer here was not able to provide me any answer.
Thanks and cheers!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello there!
I am from Romania and I just bought a 2021 Santa Fe.
Searching the internet about how to toggle between smart cruise control and conventional cruise control, I came upon this topic.
Assuming that there are a lot of similarities between the softwares of these models, I am looking forward to see if Hyundai Canada can offer some info.
The local dealer here was not able to provide me any answer.
Thanks and cheers!
^ Hello Baspri. I received an email response today from Hyundai Canada, and unfortunately they offered no information at all and suggested I speak with the Service Dept. at the dealership where I bought my Tucson. Needless to say I'm not pleased with their response - my writing to them was a complete waste of time. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ Hello Baspri. I received an email response today from Hyundai Canada, and unfortunately they offered no information at all and suggested I speak with the Service Dept. at the dealership where I bought my Tucson. Needless to say I'm not pleased with their response - my writing to them was a complete waste of time. :(
My dealer was completely ignorant to the problem. I had to explain it and they said they don’t know to contact Hyundai directly. Apparently we are just being setup for the massive waste-of-time run around. Maybe as more of these vehicles are sold more of an awareness and outcry will come about to force someone to take ownership of providing an answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you both for your replies.
My dealer was not helpful either.
There is also a topic in the Santa Fe area, that ended up unanswered:
Sante Fe CC

I will try to approach several dealers here and keep you posted if I succeed to find some answers.

All the best!

PS: I am wondering what happens with the smart cruise control if the radar/cameras are getting dirty. Does it switch to a conventional CC or it gets deactivated?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sante Fe CC

I will try to approach several dealers here and keep you posted if I succeed to find some answers.

All the best!

PS: I am wondering what happens with the smart cruise control if the radar/cameras are getting dirty. Does it switch to a conventional CC or it gets deactivated?
Good question, Baspri! I don't know the answer to that.. but I guess we'll find out this winter!
Cheers Richard

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited
25 Posts
Based on my experience driving on the interstate in heavy rain with the Tucson's smart cruise control: The system did not disable itself, but the distance at which it's able to reliably detect vehicles starts getting reduced.

What this meant in practice is that it would approach closer than the set follow distance before detection of the vehicle ahead would start phasing in/out about once per second. This results in a sort of stuttering/hesitant slowdown until you get close enough that the system detects the leading vehicle reliably.

It wasn't violently herky jerky or anything, but I could definitely feel the system flipping between deceleration/acceleration as it'd approach the car ahead.

I'd assume that if the sensor got blocked badly enough that it detects nothing (such as in heavy snow) then the system would operate like conventional CC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sante Fe CC

All the best!

It just get deactivated

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,153 Posts
Based on my experience driving on the interstate in heavy rain with the Tucson's smart cruise control: The system did not disable itself, but the distance at which it's able to reliably detect vehicles starts getting reduced.

What this meant in practice is that it would approach closer than the set follow distance before detection of the vehicle ahead would start phasing in/out about once per second. This results in a sort of stuttering/hesitant slowdown until you get close enough that the system detects the leading vehicle reliably.

It wasn't violently herky jerky or anything, but I could definitely feel the system flipping between deceleration/acceleration as it'd approach the car ahead.

I'd assume that if the sensor got blocked badly enough that it detects nothing (such as in heavy snow) then the system would operate like conventional CC.
Does it make good sense to drive in heavy rain with cruise control activated? Not in my book.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience Shimmering Silver
52 Posts
I'm trying to find a reason why one would want standard cc over smart cc
Agreed - I'm 80% less stressed out when reaching my destination using smart cc. One of the best features for highway driving. I do not use this feature for non-highway driving.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm trying to find a reason why one would want standard cc over smart cc
^ In my previous vehicle... when the radar devices (2) at the front corners of the vehicle became covered in winter muck (road salt and muck), the devices wouldn't operate properly, but that situation/problem only became evident when I left the city, got on the highway and tried to activate adaptive cruise control (ACC). I would get error messages advising that ACC was unavailable. There was no built-in facility in that vehicle to revert back to standard CC, so I was essentially locked out of CC completely until I cleaned the front of the vehicle. That annoyed me, because in the previous vehicle to that one I could disable ACC and enable standard CC with a couple of button presses. I really enjoy using ACC but I'd always like to have standard CC as a "back up" in my vehicles. It surprises me that Hyundai have done away with that option on their latest products.

·
Registered
223 Posts
^ In my previous vehicle... when the radar devices (2) at the front corners of the vehicle became covered in winter muck (road salt and muck), the devices wouldn't operate properly, but that situation/problem only became evident when I left the city, got on the highway and tried to activate adaptive cruise control (ACC). I would get error messages advising that ACC was unavailable. There was no built-in facility in that vehicle to revert back to standard CC, so I was essentially locked out of CC completely until I cleaned the front of the vehicle. That annoyed me, because in the previous vehicle to that one I could disable ACC and enable standard CC with a couple of button presses. I really enjoy using ACC but I'd always like to have standard CC as a "back up" in my vehicles. It surprises me that Hyundai have done away with that option on their latest products.
That would be the only scenario where standard cc is warranted. Although I am curious how the Tucson would handle this situation

1 - 20 of 25 Posts