Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wondered if anyone else has this issue.
I can do vertical headlight adjustments on my 2012 Tucson. However, there is no horizontal adjustment capability. The dealer said this is normal. Vertical adjustments can be done with a screwdriver, yet there are no such adjustment fitting for horizontal. I've owned over a dozen cars in my lifetime and this is the first time I ever heard of no horizontal adjustment fitting. Is the dealer jerking my chain because the factory forgot to put the horizontal fitting in?:confused:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think it is in order to protect oncoming drivers from getting hit by a direct beam. The vertical adjustments can be used to compensate for loads in the vehicle, but the side to side has been locked in to preserve what the manufacturer believes is the optimum pattern for visibility. Think of the overhead pictures on the backs of headlight bulb packaging showing the pattern thrown onto the pavement.

I had an aftermarket pair of headlamp projector housings, and those still didn't have a right/left adjustment. They did have a diagonal one, which geometrically would have allowed a little leeway. In order to move the beam a little to one side or the other, the beam would have had to been moved quite a bit with the vertical adjustment, thus putting the beam too high or too low to be practical. Fortunately, with projectors the left/right didn't matter at all anyway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Projection headlight aim issues

I really prefer the old reflector headlights but it may be due to poor aim of my projection headlights on my 2014 Tucson. I have had it to the dealer twice to lower the beams but still think they are not correct. The top cut off line on my low beams is about 8 feet above the road surface. The pavement light seems fair but less than the old reflector bulbs on my old 2013 Tucson. The low beams illuminate road signs at least 1/2 mile down the road which other cars do not seem to do(I have briefly turned my lights off when following other cars and they do not light the signs). My bright/high beams low cut off is about 8 feet above the road(where the low top cut off is). The brights are useless for anything other than reading overhead street signs. They do not help see farther down two lane country roads like the old style headlights did......Do the lights need to be adjusted down even more?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like you're blinding a lot of people. Try this to adjust them yourself so you know it's done right: http://www.blindinghid.com/how-to-adjust-hid-headlights/ Basically, if the light projects uphill from the car, you're blinding people. A good way to eyeball it is when you're alongside a tractor trailer. If the line of light goes up closer to the cab, they are too high. Mine were aimed a little below horizontal because I was conscientious about it.

I also found that once they were properly adjusted, there was plenty of light that I did not ever use the high beams, but that was mostly because switching them on shut off the main headlights. However, there was plenty of light so I didn't feel it was really necessary. I also never used my fog/driving lights because of the nice spread of light I was getting.

Each manufacturer seems to have different standards for proper adjustment too. I've noticed that the new Ford Explorer and Escape have them aimed so the cutoff always seems to be at my nose, and any little bump just blinds me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts