Hyundai Forums banner

261 - 280 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by Robh2@Mar 12 2007, 07:25 PM
I have had my 07 Tucson, 2.7, 4wd, auto, limited for 3 weeks and I have just over 1100 miles.  My trip computer is always within 1/2 mpg of my manual calculations.  City only I get about 18mpg, mix I get 19.5 to 21 and highway only is 25mpg.  Sorry, never was that good at metric, so no conversions.

I am very happy with the mileage, performance, ride and build quality.  It did great in the snow also.  People were stuck and I could just drive around them.  lol...
[snapback]77042[/snapback]​

I feel the same way here in Northern NY. Its great in the snow. I've got 20000 and getting about 20 mpg avg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Tucson GLS 4X4 got an average of around 5.5 to 6 kms / litre driving in Greater Toronto Area. I have verified the distance by topping up the tank, measure the distance travelled for a couple of weeks, and topping it up again. It only got around 2100 kms in its odometer.

It consumes gas like bigger 4X4 SUVs. It's a very surprising figure for a 2.7 litre engine. I believe that one post mentioned about the vehicle "loosing up" once it got some mileage already. Anyone have this experience? :beer:

·
Registered
838 Posts
40K miles now on my 2005 Tucson V6 4WD, and nothings changed, good luck trying to get 25mpg, never achieved it, but around town in rural Pa. I avg. 20mpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my 2006 2.7L 2WD drive since Oct 2006 and have about 5000 miles total.
My mileage is just about as advertised, so I am relatively pleased. My trip computer is fairly accurate, but the figures I'll give you are from direct calculations. I average 20 mpg in town. On the highway, the mileage varies greatly with speed. Makes sense, take a look at the thing...attractive, but not aerodynamic. At 55 mph I average 27 mpg. At 65 mph I average 26 mpg. From there any increase in speed really takes its toll. At 80 mph I average about 23 mpg. Pretty flat in these parts, so perhaps that is a factor. Quite pleased with vehicle quality and value.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I see you're 2WD TankerRay, By the way I got better gas milage on my 2002 Santa Fe 4WD V6, then my 2005 Tucson, and that was heavier, and less aerodynamic! After 2 yrs with the Tucson I'm still trying to figure out Why? On the Santa Fe, I could get 20-24mpg around town, and 24-30mpg on the highway (and never drove under 65 on trips). I actually put 87K (trouble free) miles, over 3 1/2 yrs on the SF, before I traded for the Tucson. I'm kicking myself now for ever trading it in! Besides all the Tucson has, it had a better, smoother ride, (built on the Sonata chassis) and more room for luggage. Originally, that's why I stuck with Hyundai, I thought, Wow, if the SF is that good, the Tucson must be better, on gas, & performance with the same engine, & drive train,,, Not really! I love both cars, but the V6 Tucson is more of a gas hog, and Hyundai has never addressed this issue!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mike, I can see why you would be frustrated. I am new to Hyundai, so don't know anything about the Santa Fe (other than I always liked its looks), but the vehicle you describe would be far better than the Tucson for sure (Bigger with better mileage). Gas mileage is a big issue and experiences seem to vary widely on this and other boards. The Santa Fe does look more aerodynamic to me, but that sure isn't scientific. That being said, that wouldn't have much effect on city driving. If I had your experience, I would feel exactly as you do. Was your mileage experience with the Santa Fe typical, or did you just have a good one?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Back, when I had my new 2002 Santa Fe, (meaning the 1st generation) and used to visit a certain SF forum, it was not uncommon for the people there to get 16-22 around town, and 24-27mpg highway, and have the orig. BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A tires last up to 90K miles, (I got 87K on mine before the trade in), I don't know if this was a possible contributing factor? but they don't make them in a size to fit the Tucson. In any case, the archives are gone now over there of me bragging on getting 27, and 30 mpg, going to, and from, NY to NC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, this is a heck of a mystery. Company has a great vehicle, then designs a smaller version with poorer mileage. Hard to figure, but there it is. Kind of detracts from the enjoyment of driving if I'm going to be glancing at the trip computer all the time...and I know I will! Of course, I am getting advertised mileage, I like the styling, ride, performance, and the vehicle was a value, so I still feel pretty good about the purchase.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi I have 2005 model (2.7ltr). My fuel economy has consistently been in the order of 14-15 ltrs per 100k. Best ever economy was 12.4lts per 100km (country driving)

Speaking to a work colleague (who has a newer model) told me that he is getting good fuel economy and that he understood that Hyundai made changes to the gearbox in the newer model.

So I spoke to the dealership who called Hyundai to quiz this. The response was that yes this was the case. Hyundai are prepared to modify mine so that the gearbox is the same as the newer model. What they intend to do is change the Crown and pinnon and re-flash the computer. They won't guarantee that I will get better fuel economy or how much power/torque I will or will not loose. Also once I have gone down that path there is no going back (they won't change back if I am unhappy)

Has anybody had this done or heard of this being done and whether it improved fuel economy and or lost power/torque?

Your comments please

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi
No I haven't had it done as I have a UK 2.0 diesel but I am writing to tell you to get it done whilst Hyundai are going to pay for it . This really makes sense. You will not loose anything.
Cheers

Itza

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have now had the mods done. I have only been driving in the city and have noticed no change in power or fuel economy, although I would expect an improvement once on the highway.

I will keep you posted

·
Registered
8 Posts
For what it is worth I finaly took my Tuc for a country spin. I was surprised and happy to see that my economy had infact improved. Even though I drove the car hard and thru some hilly country side I managed 550km out of a tank of fuel, the best prior to the mods was 450km and driving like grandpa. Translated into ltrs per 100km = 11.3 where as pre mods best I ever got was 13.5 ltrs per 100km.

Overall city fuel efficiency no change, country driving big change and no overall change in power. Therfore the modifications have proven to be successful and am grateful it was offered to me under waranty at no cost to me other than the inconvenience of not having transport for 3 days.

ciao!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The best mileage I got from my 4x4 GLS was between 19 and 20 mpg for highway driving from Toronto to Niagara back and forth. For city driving in Toronto, I'll be lucky if I could get 16 mpg. Believe it or not but my officemate's Ford Expedition V8 5.4L got the same consumption. :amen:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Greetings all

ATTENTION: All members who have a problem with consistent high consumption, no matter how or where you drive - fast, slow, city, open road. I for one receive a constant 16.5l/100km on my Trajet and the performance is dismal for a 2.7 V6. Please check if the MIL indicator illuminates on starting - it should come on for a few seconds to show that it is working and then go off. On my vehicle it remains off at all times. This is a fault and I just discovered this today after going to the Hyundai Service website - http://www.hmaservice.com/. Very helpful.

If MIL light is not functioning then vehicle will perform at one setting, because there are no signals to change fuel mixture, advance/**** timing, etc. This explains why the vehicle idles beautifully smooth, but drinks fuel in normal driving conditions and suffers from lack of power.

Any thoughts on the matter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by naidoosv@Dec 26 2007, 08:16 AM
Greetings all

ATTENTION: All members who have a problem with consistent high consumption, no matter how or where you drive - fast, slow, city, open road. I for one receive a constant 16.5l/100km on my Trajet and the performance is dismal for a 2.7 V6. Please check if the MIL indicator illuminates on starting - it should come on for a few seconds to show that it is working and then go off. On my vehicle it remains off at all times. This is a fault and I just discovered this today after going to the Hyundai Service website - http://www.hmaservice.com/. Very helpful.

If MIL light is not functioning then vehicle will perform at one setting, because there are no signals to change fuel mixture, advance/**** timing, etc. This explains why the vehicle idles beautifully smooth, but drinks fuel in normal driving conditions and suffers from lack of power.

Any thoughts on the matter?
[snapback]126050[/snapback]​

What's MIL indicator? Where is it located?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Orange light in shape of engine with "CHECK" written under it. Also called "Check Engine Light". The Owners Manual has a picture and explanation of this important indicator.

Regards
Srini

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Originally posted by sleepless105@Jan 9 2008, 07:25 PM
What's MIL indicator?  Where is it located?
[snapback]128876[/snapback]​

MIL = Malfunction Indicator Lamp

It's just another name for a CEL (Check Engine Light).

It's a yellow light in the shape of an engine profile:

Funny thing is, the shape is of a carburated V8 engine with an air cleaner on top, an engine-driven fan of the left and a clutch bell housing on the right. There haven't been carburated engines since the late 80's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:banana:
i've owned my 4-cyl tucson with manual tranny 3 years. fuel economy averages about 24 mph city and 28 highway. as i do both types of driving, i have not noticed any change to date.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I finally managed to get the gearbox/final drive change done as well to improve economy. ( also in AUS .. it took a fair bit of prompting and I copied previous posts by tony A and took them in to my dealer before they would go looking)

Anyway .. I have not noticed much if any change in city driving , but my average drive to work is 25kms at 100km/h with 10 kms of city driving ..

The one thing I have noticed is that the revs have changed at 100km/h ..
previously I was getting over 2500 maybe 2600 ( hard to tell without enough gradients) now It sits on 2400 ( under the 2500 mark) so around 200 revs at 100km/h and around 2600 previoulsy .. should be 5-8% improvement ..

after 2 months of driving I have noticed my economy is showing 11.4 now whereas before it was 11.9 .. I seem to be getting a bit more between fills ..

Carl

261 - 280 of 320 Posts