Hyundai Forums banner

241 - 260 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
We're considering the Tusan/Sportage as our next purchase. Have test driven the 2l 4 cyl, 5 sp, 4x4. It was OK, but had nothing in reserve to move the vehicle. However, all the reports of sub-20 mpg for the V6 makes that a no-go.

Would like to hear from some 4 cyl, 4x4, 5sp owners about performance in the real world,

Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
The drama with Tucson fuel consumption is to do with final drive ratio's, recently a running change was made to improve the fuel consumption on 2.7 models. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I had the 2.0 petrol 16v. The car was excellent, dissapointment was the fuel (220mile per tank) about 22mpg. I exchanged it for the diesal, which was better but still wasn't up to stated figures. I have the fuel mod and is now excellent.

The new cars have the improved economy, so I cant see that you would have a problem.

·
Registered
353 Posts
They replace the cluster (if uk) for gallons, they replace a part (some technical cog, or something like that). They also dwnload an upgrade to the ecu.

I have had an improvement of 60mpg on a tank, also the MPG is more accurate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can tell you the big difference between Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tuscon is NOT fuel consumption. It's crappy service. Almost all Kia dealers are partnered with Ford. Ford owns 20% of Kia. The service part of Kia is often times melded with Ford, they treat you like crap. I spent more money on repairs than on payments for my Sportage and Kia and Ford wanted nothing more than to make me keep coming in.

Hope that helps.

Could someone tell me if I need to address the 2006 2.7l gasoline engine fuel consumption issue right when i buy it (tonight?) or is this something that should be resolved in this vehicle now? or will it show itself later?

thanks!

j

·
Registered
28 Posts
Also, for those keeping track. On my first tank of gasoline, I got 17.4 miles/USgal in my brand new Tuscon. 90% highway miles to work and to hockey.

I went 255 miles (.621 per km) on 14.6 gallons/US. The fuel was 87 octane.
I refilled with 93 octane, and will report again in a 4 days.

J.

·
Registered
17 Posts
mine also same model used to give the same mileage upto 35000km but now it is at approx. 13l/100km present ODO is 50000

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2006 Hyundai Tuscon GLS 4WD 6 cyl 2 weeks ago. The car had 23miles on it when I drove it off the lot. I have done ONLY city driving (lots of stop and go with stop signs, etc.). The gauge now reads 147 and I have 1/4 tank left, with the trip meter estimating I can go 41 more miles before 'fill er up'. Does that imply that I'm getting 11 mpg (since tank holds up to 17 l)? I was expecting to get at least 19mpg in the city (22 highway). Will this improve as I continue to drive? Please tell me it will.

-A concerned Debi

·
Registered
28 Posts
Actually i'm getting 19.6 per the trip computer right now after 4 tanks of 93 octane. I'm at 1250 miles total on 60 gallons. Which i'm getting 20.8 mpg. But the dealer had to drive it 90 miles before i received it so I'm not sure when they filled it or with what octane.

BUT, the rated mileage for highway is 26? and the city is 19? And 1150 miles have been highway.

So it's decent, but i'm buying the most expensive petrol we have. 2.56/US Gal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to fill the car up for first time after having driven just 161 miles, all city driving. In just 35 more miles city-driven, another 1/4 tank has been consumed. I am really concerned that this Tuscon, which I otherwise love, is getting HORRIFIC gas mileage--trip meter reads 9.9 mpg!!!!! Do I need to wait until I drive over 1500 miles before the gas consumption starts to slacken? I barely go anywhere, so that can be like a year away! What can I do to improve this situation? :unsure:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a diesel version which is a two litre and I drive in the UK. When I first got the car it told me I was only getting 21 miles to the gallon which was a worry.

But what I do is fill it up and it takes about 56 litres. I then get about 340 miles out of the tank, which is about 31 MPG which is much better than the trip computer suggests. So I would say ignore the compter. It is crap. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am ignoring the computer. I am doing my own math. I am just using my fuel receipts and trip odometers to figure out the consumption.

I am now to about 21 Miles per gallon. US gallon and Imperial gallon are not the same size, so 31 on diesel sounds about right. That would be I think 24 Miles per US Gallon. Math check?

·
Registered
23 Posts
HI

I have the 2.0 In SA- the consumption is averaging 12.6 at the moment - hope it gets lower. My old A4 used to average 11. the 2.0 is advertised at 10- I eagerly await. Taking it to Ixopo soon, test the consumption on the freeway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys,

I have been for the last two months been consuming 20-21.5 litres per 100km. 21.5l/100km being 13 US mpg...

I have the GL V6 4WD, had a wheel alignment, checked the air filter, tire pressures are ok.

This is all city driving with lots of stops and traffic lights.
I know it is winter here in Newfoundland and we get lots of snow, wind and cold but I usually get 400 km per fill up (almost always 58 litres when light comes on) but now I am only getting 270 km per tank.

I had the car to the dealer and they blow me off saying that this is normal for the winter. My sister has a Nissan Murano which only uses 13l per 100km this winter while in summer it uses 11.5 per 100 im mixed driving.

How can a 250 hp 3.5 litre rig be so drastically more fuel efficient than a smaller 170 hp 2.7 litre SUV? This goes beyond any reasonable explanation...I might as well have a Dodge Ram with a 5.7 Hemi! It probably gets better mileage.

The best mileage I have got so far is 13l/100km in summer all highway. Average city in summer 15-16l/100km. There is no hole in my fuel tank by the way...

Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have 2006 V6 AWD Limited and are getting terrible mileage. AT 4500 miles on the odometer we are getting 15 mpg with 75% city and 23% highway. Cold does affect it somewhat, we were told that at our dealer and I come to expcet that being in Alaska.

I checked with the dealer again last month and he finally admitted that they are getting reports of terrible mileage from many people. I like the car but I was looking for something with better mileage than a pickup.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2005 2.7 litre v6 all wheel drive top of the line Tucson with just under 70,000km.

As I stood at the gas pump yesterday filling up at $1.00/litre I realized this vehicle costs me about $20.00 per 1000km more than a Honda CRV to drive the same distance. I always thought this vehicle should be getting better fuel mileage and I still do. I use about 12litres to go a 100km. Then I began to feel a lot better. I paid over $6000.00 less for the Tucson. It has very good performance and much better safety features in 1995 than a CRV. I have not had one thing break. Service has been excellent. Best of all after I drive 200,000km I will still have a net savings of $2000.00.

LNC

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi LNC and others

Just filled up my new Tucson Diesel and it took 54 litres and I had covered a total of 422 miles (679 Kilometers) and I am really pleased as my Tucson has only covered 1070 miles to date -What will it do later when it's run in? :banana: :beer:

You know its a pity that you cannot get the 4 cyl diesel manual models in the USA then you would all enjoy the miles covered to the dollar.

Cheers all

Itza :460: :460: :460:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my 07 Tucson, 2.7, 4wd, auto, limited for 3 weeks and I have just over 1100 miles. My trip computer is always within 1/2 mpg of my manual calculations. City only I get about 18mpg, mix I get 19.5 to 21 and highway only is 25mpg. Sorry, never was that good at metric, so no conversions.

I am very happy with the mileage, performance, ride and build quality. It did great in the snow also. People were stuck and I could just drive around them. lol...

241 - 260 of 320 Posts