Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
does anyone have any experience of the fuel consumption for tuscon. I just got my 2.7 l and it seems to be drinking gas. The trip computer says I get 18.1 L/100km.... which is way off the 10 l/100km in the hyundai brochure.
could this just be that it needs running in? I hope so as its way off even my old santa fe when it comes to fuel ecomony!

anyone else have similar experiences?
cheers
Neil

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not quite sure what I'm getting because my trip computer doesnt seem to be functioning correctly - all I can do is get it to reset......the other views dont show up. But I *do* think the Tuscon seems to guzzle up more gas than what I expected.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
firstly, the trip computor is like the old vacuum gauge, it indicates to you that: "the way you drive now (over the last few km), that ltr/km you can expect".
Also, the fuel rating stated is at ideal conditions (+-100kmh, at sea-level, 20°C, no wind & flat road). I am sure, that the driving conditions now are less then ideal (snow, cold ......)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm not basing fuel consumption on the trip meter - since mind dont seem function correctly. I'm basing it on my weekly travels. I've own the Tuscon for about a month now and I have been consistently doing close to 400 miles a week. It consumes as much gas as my old 93 Probe GT does - meaning I'm still spending the same amount of money on gas as I did with my old car.

But however, this week something is a little different......I have passed my 1500 miles mark now on the Tuscon, and I seem to have quite a bit more gas than I did the previous weeks.... :blink:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Originally posted by dolomite@Dec 13 2004, 10:05 AM
I'm not basing fuel consumption on the trip meter - since mind dont seem function correctly. I'm basing it on my weekly travels. I've own the Tuscon for about a month now and I have been consistently doing close to 400 miles a week. It consumes as much gas as my old 93 Probe GT does - meaning I'm still spending the same amount of money on gas as I did with my old car.

But however, this week something is a little different......I have passed my 1500 miles mark now on the Tuscon, and I seem to have quite a bit more gas than I did the previous weeks.... :blink:
[snapback]3634[/snapback]​

1500m is still very much in the "running-in" stage. Hyundai engines do take quite a while until they are free enough to be economical. You will start noticing an improvement, but the change will be gradually in the beginning.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by duke@Dec 13 2004, 10:46 AM
1500m is still very much in the "running-in" stage. Hyundai engines do take quite a while until they are free enough to be economical. You will start noticing an improvement, but the change will be gradually in the beginning.
[snapback]3637[/snapback]​

i have teh 2.7 with auto trans mission.

i understand it should need a bit running in but its depressing all the same...
I should get 10 for mixed driving, but I get 18.3 now, regardless if on motorways or on suburban driving - always get about 18.3 nearly double. When you fill the tank it the trip computer showings how many km till next refil... drops over 100km before I have done 25!!!
A review (read after I bought) here in sweden, said it was a great car but there must have been a hole in teh fuel tank. And they were getting 13.3km/100! about what the V8 3.5L volvo xc90...
Ive complained to hyundai and await an answer!

im very happy with it apart from that though!

merry christmas

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the process of buying the 2.0l version (available in South Africa) but have my doubts when I read comments in the forum re fuel consumption. Does the 2.0l have a similar or worse problem than the 6cylinder?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have tested the 2.0ltr 4cyl. Tucson for over 500km , and found is to be quite good on fuel +-10km/ltr (was with auto gearbox).
One important info, USE UNLEADED FUEL ONLY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Originally posted by duke@Jan 5 2005, 04:03 AM
I have tested the 2.0ltr 4cyl. Tucson for over 500km , and found is to be quite good on fuel +-10km/ltr (was with auto gearbox).
One important info, USE UNLEADED FUEL ONLY.
[snapback]4433[/snapback]​

Thank you - much appreciated!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello
I am new to this site and would like to know if any of you drive a 2.7L V6 version of the Tucson?
I am looking at buying one in Australia and the only engine size available to us is the V6 and I was wondering what kind of F/C you can expect out of the with about 80% hwy and 20% city?
Hyundai said it is about 11L per 100 Klms but I have read it is a lot worse than that.
Any F/C figures that you actually get would be greatly appreciated !
Cheers Peter

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Flyreels,

Just got mine yesterday so won't be much help yet. On the trip computer I am reading 14.4 - 14.8 after only 100kms (all around town) don't know how this compares to yours. After I go through the whole tank and refill I will let you know what mileage I have gotten accurately.

A lot of peoples comments have been about how the economy of the V6 gets a lot better after 3 or 4 or 5 thousand kms.

If mine returns around 12l/100ks or less I will think thats ok.

Later.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Now after 250kms the computer readout is down to 13.6l/100kms. Hope it keeps heading in that direction.

I think once I get more used to driving the car and learning how it likes to be driven should get the figure lower.

Also I was thinking of installing a good Aussie invention called a hyclone. This is a bladed fan-type device that sits in the air intake tube and causes the air to swirl through the tube and not eddy so much. I will install after more k's are done so a proper before and after comparison can be done. When I do I will start a new thread.

You can have a look here if your interested:

http://www.hicloneqld.com/hiclone.htm

I have no affiliation with the product but my old man has one in his car and thinks it made a good change. With no moving parts and no affect on youre car warranty its not a bad option (if it works!!)

LATER

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi there. I am from Brisbane Australia and have had my warm silver V6 Elite Tucson since last November. I love it so far, no problems at all. :D My FC went down to 12.4L/100km within the first 500km. It stayed there until I did 5,500kms. I do 60% highway and 40%city and drive her pretty hard :blush: Currently it is sitting on 11.5L/100km. I use Optimax premium petrol and usually get around 550km per tank of petrol. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All. Had our car a few weeks now, already up to 1000km. Have filled up with normal unleaded petrol. The car drank this rather fast to say the least. Have since switched to premium unleaded and we have noticed a much better fuel consumption rate, perhaps the extra few pennies a litre are worth it. As with any new engine, diesel or petrol all the parts require a good few thousand km's/ miles to bed in together properley, so the mpg/kml rate will improve. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Guys,

I've owned about 15 cars new and secondand including diesels and I can't say that I've ever noticed any difference in the fuel consumption after a few thousand miles/Kms.

My last diesel was golf and it was great and the fuel consumption did not alter at all.

Is this some sort of urban myth?

·
Registered
32 Posts
No it is actually a fact! My uncle is a mechanic and he kept telling me to wait until around 5,000km as Hyundai's are known to loosen up after that amount of KM's.Once your engine loosens up it drinks less petrol.So I impatiently waited. I have a trip computer on my Tucson and I have done both a manual check and the trip check and found the trip very accurate. After 5,500km my FC dropped and I am now sitting on 11.9L/100km. Prior it was sitting around 12.3-12.4L. The trip was only out .1 of a litre. I am also using premium petrol 98Octane.

1 - 20 of 320 Posts