Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
for all you having trouble calculating and comparing MPG or liters per Km this site gives a calculator

http://www.euronet.nl/users/grantm/frans/fuel.html

wouldn't it be nice if every body would finally start calculating in metric as 90% of the world population is doing

seems rather old fashioned to have all these different systems where even a mile is not a mile

hi hi hi
:D
:57:

I will soon publish the test info of a tucson crdi that is under endurance test and has done over 7000 km

cheers my friends

·
Registered
31 Posts
SI Units are the correct units to use in a scientific manner. When doing complex physics calculations using everything in SI units makes the job a whole lot easier, no constants to put in to 'adjust' the figures. Now we have to convince the Yanks and Poms that its OK to use a system designed by the French, even tho its far superior.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have just changed my order from a CRDI to the meaty V6 2.7.

Several reasons:

1) The CRDI would have taken 3-4 months to be delivered. The V6 only 15 days. :grin:

2) The V6 is much quicker, even though it's automatic! (the extra sluggishness of the Automatic for the 2 litre engines put me off automatic initially)

3) It seems, according to some posts on forums across the web, that the V6 doesn't seem to consume much more than the 2.0 petrol or CRDI anyway! I am under no illusion that this is actually the case, but for the sake of a litre or two more per 100km, I'd rather have the V6 and have a fun drive plus a great sounding engine. :p

I have a theory as to why the V6 might not be that much more thirsty than the other 2 engines. It could be complete rubbish, let me know your thoughts on this:

I reckon that the 2.0 petrol and diesel are somewhat underpowered for the weight of the Tucson, hence need to be worked rather "hard" to accelerate and drive the car. Hence, the throttle needs to be pushed quite a bit, which equals to a lot of fuel going through the cylinders. Yet, the V6, has the right sort of horse power for the Tucson, and hence, can be driven with a lot less push on the throttle, in other words, you don't have to strain the engine as much to move the car! That's what I reckon might be the reason why, the V6 seems to consume just a little more than the other engines. Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers :57:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm back and have read all your posts with great interest.
Scorpio, thanks for the fuel calculator page, I used it to give the figures below. :57:

I've finished my own test and so here are the results (took a little longer because I had flu and didn't travel for a couple few days).

Just a reminder:
I've got the Tucson 2.0 litre CRTDi CDX.

TCS as default is always On (mentioned because we've spoken about it in earlier threads, but I don't believe it makes a jot of difference if you turn it Off).

4WD is Off (believe me you know when its on if you go round corners, you can really feel the tyres biting/scuffing, so if you drive with 4WD ON and don't notice, then you're an idiot! and it turns off above 20mph anyway) :wink2:

I'm in the UK - I'm talking about UK miles and UK gallons.

My trips to/from work each day are 32 miles (about 20mins) comprised of 4 miles good constant 50mph(80km/h) "B" road, then down the A1 in Lincs for 10 miles (fairly flat), on cruise set at 64mph(102km/h), then 2 miles gentle downhill at 30mph(48km/h), into town to park, then at the end of the day back again. Chose 64mph because you can overtake lorries slowly, but keep at a constant economical AND sensible speed, without running up behind other motorists all the time, which would reduce fuel efficiency. And 55mph would have done my head in! :crying:
[Normally I drive at about 75mph on the A1]

Tank was filled to brim at start. Mileage noted, miles trip set, mpg trip not reset, was previously showing about 21.7mpg (remember that Hyundai have informed us all its calibrated in US gallons).

I have controlled my acceleration and gear changes as strictly and economically as I can, nice and smooth and slow, trying to keep revs comfortably between 1500 and 2500, although on a couple of occasions out of junctions needed to go to 3500rpm, but don't think I've ever gone over that.

I have managed to get the MPG meter up to 23.1MPG maximum, and now it flips between 23.1 and 23.0. 23.1US converts to 27.74 UK MPG.

Now the figure that matters. Upon refilling the tank the vehicle has now done total 2859 miles, and on this test tankful managed exactly 375 miles. Thats the best I have managed to date (previously the trip showed around 315-325 per tankful). So I have improved by about 50 miles.

To fill up took 54.92 litres.

The fuel calculator Scorpio mentioned gives the following figures:-

10.99km/l
9.1 l/100km
31.04 UK MPG = 25.85 US MPG
3.22 UK gall/100 miles = 3.87 US gall/100 miles

603.5km = 375 miles
54.92 litres = 12.08 gallons = 14.51 US gallons

Summary:
For steady, easy extra-urban (out-of-city) driving 31.04MPG is far short of the printed specs, and I feel my Tucson is performing well short of the mark. :angry2:
Perhaps a very long trip would raise the bar, but I'm very disappointed that my best driving efforts have given only 31MPG!! :(

Surely my day-to-day trips which admittedly aren't long, but aren't too short either, won't have that much impact on my fuel consumption?

According to the research Atti_5 did, with my 9.1l/100km I have managed at best only slightly better than in-city driving. :w00t:

Anyway - calm down and put it in perspective. On 31MPG for a full tank I can get 11 days work travel. *If* I could do 39.8MPG "Combined" driving I could get 15 days travel, and for the impossible to achieve 47.9MPG Extra-Urban holy grail almost 18 days travel. Over time even just going from 11 to 15 days would make a BIG difference. But remember, this was my best shot! It was irritating driving so carefully, and to go back to normal driving habits will DROP my MPG back down to around 320 miles on a tankful, i.e. around 27-28MPG, which is frankly quite terrible.
I sincerely hope the Tucson has plenty more "running-in" to do and will improve drastically.

A couple of you guys have mentioned 35MPG. Are you really sure?
What sort of trip length and driving are you doing?

Bob Brampton at UK Hyundai Customer Services asked me to keep him informed of my test results, which I will do. If any of you are interested in talking to him, his direct number is 01494 428628.

Any more thoughts?

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Jim,

9.1 l/100km would be of course unacceptable! If this is the case my next car remains an Accent :grin:

However, I feel the calculation You made was too complex for me. :)

The 31.04 MPG what you also gave as your result equals 7,58l/100km which would be acceptable in my reading.

So still we may have an incompatibility or calculation error somewhere!

So You made 375 miles = 603,4 kms during Your tests. Can You pls tell me how much diesel did You tank - 54.92 litres? Is this correct? Your total tank capacity is 58 liters, was it almost empty already? How many gallons are on your receipt/invoice?

Kind wishes, Attila

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi atti_5,

As per my post:-
I used the fuel calculator page mentioned by Scorpio to provide all figures which I believe are correct and accurate.

31.04 UK MPG gives 9.1l/100km which I think is NOT good.

I don't understand how you arrive at 7.58l/100km unless you are working with US gallons.

I used 54.92 litres (taken from my receipt) of diesel to go 375 miles(603.5km).
54.92 litres is 12.08 UK gallons.
375 miles divide by 12.08 gallons = 31.04 miles per UK gallon.
or expressed in metric
603.5 divide by 54.92 = 10.98km travelled per litre of diesel
and
603.5km divide by 100km = 6.035
so
54.92litres divide by 6.035 = 9.1litres of diesel to travel 100km

Yes I know the tank capacity is about 58 litres, there was obviously about 4 litres already in the tank when I filled up before starting my test. If I had driven til the tank went empty maybe I would have got more mileage out of the tank, but it is not wise to do that otherwise you have to prime the fuel pumps again!

Hope thats clear now :) !

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Jim,

I only have one type of Gallon in my conversion table, which equals 3.785 liters as mentioned in my first post to this topic.
Now I see this is US gallon, because You are calculating with 1 Gal = 4.546 liter (crazy customary, non SI systems :devil: ).

So I have given up now: Your calculation is correct and you have consumption 9,1l/100km. :angry2:

I suggest that You go in contact with some other 2.0 CRDi owners - as this engine is build into many cars of the Hyundai/Kia corporation: Elantra, Sportage, etc... to see their consumption...

When I was byuing my new Accent I also considered 1.5CRDi as alternative (which is derived from Your engine, just with 3 valves), and also considered Elantra 2.0CRDi together with the same Tucson You drive, as my next car. Now I have got concerns if Diesel engine is the right way to go.

Jim, Kind wishes and still enjoy Your car, think on those having V6 engine and being happy with consumption 12l/100.

Attila :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi friends,

Looking on the many-many topics dealing with fuel consumption I suggest to put all the information in an organized way into a small database. This should give everybody good information whether his car's consumption is all right, eg. similar to other owners, can compare it to data given by manufacturer and can give a good picture for new byers, what they can expect.

I just created a small excel sheet now and filled in my values + values provided by Jim.

I ask kindly everybody who is interested just to fill in his data into the sheet and send his entry to me [email protected]

I will publish then the sheet as it is growing up.

Please use SI metrics system only.
1 mile=1.609km
1US Gallon = 3.785 liters,
1UK Gallon = 4.546 liters

For other than brand new models please also fill out Engine Type Field (first 5 digit of your engine Identification number - without serial number please.

Your comments, ideas regarding the database will be highly appreciated.

*** Note: as I am not permitted to upload an xls file I just renamed it to zip. Please do not run it via Winzip, just rename it to xls and open in excel.***

Kind wishes, Attila

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Atti,

Thanks for the spreadsheet, its a good idea.

Sorry for the slow response - I've only just got back from holiday, but I will have a look and see what other information could be included (perhaps a comment field describing the general day-to-day driving for that fuel consump test, e.g. urban, extra-urban, typical journey distance).

Also because I only just finished my test just before going on holiday I have yet to write my findings and complain officially to Hyundai.

Yes - I still like my Tucson very much. :) Just a pity the hungry engine puts a bit of a damper on it!! And as pointed out by some owners it may be that a bit more driving will loosen it up and improve the situation. So for the next couple thousand miles and in the meantime while discussing with Hyundai, I am going to relax a bit, open her up and enjoy driving B)

And to any other Tucson 2.0 CRTDi owners, PLEASE let us know what your own experience and opinions are, Thanks.

I think the following thread is also ongoing and relevant....
Letter from Hyundai UK

Peace
Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Neil,

Maybe the winter season has a lot to do with it. Just wait until you get a few thousand kilometres AND for summer. I'm sure fuel consumption will drop to a more conveniable level.
However I must say, test driving by specialized magazines prove a consumption about 30 to 40 % higher than what Hyundai promised (I wonder in what conditions these test drives were made).
I'll have mine end of April but don't bother much at the moment; I agree with Crowie --> ever looked at the price of a BMW X3 (price !!!!) and its consumption.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All

I have been keeping up with all your comments and agree and have been hassling both Hyundai and my dealer since Dec. I have experienced all the problems previously listed, but last week in the snow I had occasion to run in 4 wheel drive and the trip computer immediately gave me a more acceptable reading, although I was taking it easy 40-50 ish in 4th and 5th, one point it read 37 mpg (converted 44mpg). Back to 2 wheel drive and the consumption dropped again. So at the weekend I ran it on a 4 again fuel consumption converted into 36mpg on country roads. Has anyone else experienced this, could it be a computer mapping fault? I ll be informing my dealer and Hyundai as I am waiting on info from them regarding what they are going to try next.

Will keep you posted

Like you all love the motor apart from FC

Dazzle

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dazzle,

Thats interesting - I will try it out myself on 4WD tonight (according to the literature 4WD even when turned on is supposed to cut-out above 20mph, but remains switched on). Of course normally I doubt anyone would drive far enough in 4WD to notice the MPG change, so well spotted!

I'll let you know how I get on later.

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Right - back again!
Before I continue lets just add the section from page 53 of the Tucson Owners Manual, section 3. Average Fuel Consumption meter. It shows a picture of the Type A and Type B LCD panels, and then bullets points explaining the average fuel consumption as follows;

o This mode calculates the average fuel consumption from the total fuel used and the distance since the last average fuel consumption reset.
o The total fuel used is calculated from the fuel consumption input.
o For an accurate calculation, drive more than 0.31 miles.
o The meter's working range is from 0.0 to 99.9 L/62 miles.

Before setting off, I turned on 4WD, and did NOT reset the MPG Meter (it was reading 22.5). I did a few slow tight turns to confirm 4WD was working, yep! It bights so hard on tarmac, that I stalled the engine!

Then I set off up the A1, at around 60mph. The MPG Meter did not change. I suspect this is because the Trip meter was showing 240miles, and so I would need to travel a fair distance to make the average fuel consumption change substantially. I got bored with it not doing anything, so still with 4WD turned on and still travelling at 60mph I reset the MPG Meter. It showed "---" for about quarter mile, then sprang into action, reading about 56MPG then gradually came down to about 28-30MPG.

This is the highest I have ever seen it read.

BUT after a couple of miles I then turned off 4WD and tried the same again, (all while travelling at 60mph). For a moment the MPG Meter shot up to 119.9MPG :D
Seriously, thats what it showed, then rapidly came down to between 28-30MPG.

However I am certain that after many more miles travel, that reading will come down lower and lower, back to around 22-23MPG. 4WD disengages above 20mph so shouldn't have an effect on fuel consumption.

It is unlikely that 4WD is connected in any way to the MPG Meter. But feel free to challenge me on that - I'm not an expert.

I don't think the fact that 4WD is turned on or off is really making any difference. If you think about it, the manual says "calculates the average fuel consumption from the total fuel used and the distance since the last average fuel consumption reset". Now if my Trip meter is showing 240miles distance, and presumably it uses this distance when calculating the fuel, then if I am already driving at 60mph when I reset the MPG Meter, its going to think "Wow, I've travelled 240miles on this tiny little teaspoon of fuel I've used during the last few seconds", and so it displays the ridiculously high MPG for just a moment.

If you stop the vehicle, reset the MPG Meter, and then set off, the MPG Meter shows very LOW MPG to start with and then builds up.

My question to you Dazzle, is;

- did you reset the MPG Meter when you used 4WD?
- if so, did you reset it alone, or also the Trip meter?
- and were you travelling when you reset it?

Although this is an interesting experiment for the MPG Meter, I still think the real test is simply to manually calculate distance travelled per tankful to get the MPG figure.

I am still going to keep on trying your "4WD affects the MPG" theory for a bit more, because its difficult to gauge these results over a short distance.

Finally can anyone explain what the manual means by "The meter's working range is from 0.0 to 99.9 L/62 miles." ?

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Jim,

Nice to see you back. I was also off for one week having a flue.

Just a short note for now: The average fuel consumption calculator works independently from daily trip meter! The fuel consumption calculator calculates from the point IT was reset (by pressing and holding the appr. button in an Accent - I am pretty sure the on board computer is same on all recent Hyundai/Kia models).

You SHOULD time to time reset also average fuel consumption calculator - so it displays ---- (no value) until first hundreds of meters).

Have a nice day, Attila

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Atti,

What you say makes sense.

The average fuel consumption calculator works independently from daily trip meter!

I did wonder, and I guess that the Average Fuel Consumption must have its own internal "mileage-so-far" meter that is seperate from the Trip meter.

Incidentally I also have today written to David Walker at Hyundai UK, quoting this thread and the concerns of several people, and my own tests and findings. I will let you all know what response I get.

Best wishes
Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi All

I seem to be getting about 30 MPG from my tuscon, but I'm more upset by the snotty letter from Hyundai UK saying that they are not going to fix the trip computer to read in UK gallons.

Am I asking to much ?
Has anybody else got this good news?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Normbar,

Well I wrote a longish letter to David Walker at Hyundai explaining my concerns 2/3/05, and a week later I received acknowledgement only, saying he will get back to me after further discussion with his Customer Services Executive. I am giving Hyundai UK the benefit of the doubt and will wait another week to see how they respond. Any longer and I'm going to chase them up.

I'm not surprised they might say they won't do anything about the MPG Meter. I expect if they did something for one person, that would set a precedent to do the same for all vehicles. I imagine from a technical point it would require some kind of reprogramming. If its a new chip that would be more difficult than software reprogramming.

Like you I feel that they should get it right for the country they selling to.

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi all,

Two weeks to the day since writing to Hyundai UK I received a call from Bob Brampton from the customer services department (the same guy I spoke to about 2 months ago when I originally voiced my concerns).

Bob says that Hyundai UK are taking the matter of the fuel consumption seriously, and that the Korean division are currently investigating the problem. He has promised to get back to me on 1st April after Hyundai Korea have performed some more tests.

Something he mentioned, but which I took with a pinch of salt, was that there had been a couple of customers with Tucsons where a return spring had not been connected properly to the brake pedal, so that although safe, it was apparently applying very slight pressure, and therefore drag on the vehicle because the brakes were being applied very gently, thereby having an affect on fuel consumption over long distance. Hmmm. Not sure whether to believe that! I can't really see that just the weight of the brake pedal would be sufficient to operate the brakes. Needless to say I checked my brake pedal, and it seems to return correctly to its topmost position.

However, in fairness he sounded quite genuine and concerned about the overall problem, and although he gave me the usual story you have probably read elsewhere in the forum, about the results for the fuel consumption averages listed in the brochure being prepared by an independent government approved facility, running the vehicle with no wind resistance, accelerating incredibly slowly, in ideal conditions in order to achieve the stated figures, he did agree that the mileage figures being reported by owners of the Tucson should be better.

Just as an aside, I have now done 3700 miles, and on my latest tankful of petrol which took 60.20 litres to fill completely, I did 379.5 miles. For this I wasn't bothered about economy, just drove the car how I liked, usually around 75mph on A-road.
This worked out to be 28.66 UK MPG. Once again, way below even the minimum Urban figure of 30.7mpg the brochure states, and personally I feel is a terrible figure for a Diesel engine.

Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all, I picked up mine yesterday and initial reaction is I love it!!. Now I have read the fuel consumption thread, you have me worried. I live in South Wales and commute to Bristol, so the fuel figures were important to me when choosing the vehicle. I am going to take things gently until I've got a 1,000 miles on the clock. I will start monitoring the fuel consumption after that. I have the CRTD GSI, so have'nt got the trip computer to confuse me and most of the journey is motorway and dual carriageway, so I am expecting the advertised figures. Keep the information coming into the forum please.

Rich

21 - 40 of 353 Posts