Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 353 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<_< hi ginger baker new tucson owner since nov 24th findin fuel consumption around town only 21 mpg seems bad for a common rail diesal any one out there any ideas <_<

·
Registered
83 Posts
Originally posted by ginger baker@Jan 2 2005, 03:16 AM
<_< hi ginger baker new tucson owner since nov 24th findin fuel consumption around town only 21 mpg seems bad for a common rail diesal any one out there any ideas <_<
[snapback]4304[/snapback]​

In my country the car magazine "autoweek" has a tucson CRDI in a endurance test
initially it consumed a lot
two weeks ago they drove it for 24 hours only stopping to change drivers, at that time consumption was almost equal to some other CRDI cars in the test who were lighter in weight

there is hope :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Originally posted by ginger baker@Jan 2 2005, 12:16 PM
[snapback]4304[/snapback]​
I bought my crtd about the same time as you and have been disappointed by the MPG although it isn't as bad as you quote. I get about 35 mpg on a combined run. I've just found out that the mpg raeding on the trip computer is calibrated in US gals. !!

·
Registered
47 Posts
hi guys,

Me too. Disappointed with the MPG of my Tucson 2.0 CTRD CDX (Manual). :(
I have also just learnt from my dealer about the average fuel consumption computer being rated in US Gallons as opposed to UK Gallons, but even so the highest MPG I have managed to get it to read in about 2 months driving is 22.1 (but usually around 21.7).

1 US Gallon = 0.83267 UK Gallons, or the other way around
1 UK Gallon = 1.20095 US gallons,
in other words a UK gallon is more liquid than US gallon, so

22.1 miles per US Gallon divide by 0.83267 = 26.54 miles per UK Gallon

Now, that is out of town driving along a good straight B road, and down the A1 to work about 16 miles and back each day, on cruise at about 70mph, without air-con.

Each time I fill to the brim from completely empty which costs about £45 quid (about 50litres), 50 litres = 10.99 UK gallons
This sounds about right because the fuel tank capacity is stated as 58 litres.

Ok lets totally ignore that American MPG computer.
Each tankful does me only just over 300 miles!
Lets be kind and say 320 miles this fill-up, and that I only needed 10 gallons for the fill up. That gives 32 miles per gallon, which seems a far cry from the brochure quoted 39.8mpg Combined driving, and the quoted Extra Urban figure of 47.9 gallons.
I think I am actually getting more like 28-30mpg. Surely I should be at least a little bit closer to the Combined figure.

That just doesn't sound right to me. Yes, I can read the small-print in the brochure which says "The results given above do not express or imply any guarantee of fuel consumption..."

Maybe I'm just not used to this kind of vehicle and I need to be more conservative when driving an SUV? I don't thrash it, but perhaps I can be easier on the throttle and keep the revs between 1500 and 2500 through better gear changing.

I will be keeping a close eye on it now, because filling up at £45 a go four times a month for 300 miles worth is not what I expected! I chose the Diesel because I thought it was going to be economical.

My dealer has checked the fuel emissions and says its fine. The engine sounds fine. Apparently the ECU (Engine Control Unit) is all computer managed and cannot be fine tuned manually in any way to make a leaner injection of fuel. Is that right, I don't know enough? They suggested I talk to Hyundai about it, but its interesting to hear you guys having a similar 21 MPG computer reading.
Are you being particularly cautious on the throttle?

I've also reported it to Hyundai Customer Service, so I'll wait to hear what they say. Perhaps there is some mechanical or ECU problem? (I hope so).

Making allowance for the MPG display being in US Gallons I can accept, but when my wallet is saying "Ouch", thats what I believe.

Hmmm. There seems to be a lot of talk about the fuel consumption on this forum.
However - I DO LOVE my Tucson!!! :)

Jim :unsure:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Originally posted by ukjim@Jan 25 2005, 08:31 PM
hi guys,

Me too. Disappointed with the MPG of my Tucson 2.0 CTRD CDX (Manual). :(
I have also just learnt from my dealer about the average fuel consumption computer being rated in US Gallons as opposed to UK Gallons, but even so the highest MPG I have managed to get it to read in about 2 months driving is 22.1 (but usually around 21.7).

1 US Gallon = 0.83267 UK Gallons, or the other way around
1 UK Gallon = 1.20095 US gallons,
in other words a UK gallon is more liquid than US gallon, so

22.1 miles per US Gallon divide by 0.83267 = 26.54 miles per UK Gallon

Now, that is out of town driving along a good straight B road, and down the A1 to work about 16 miles and back each day, on cruise at about 70mph, without air-con.

Each time I fill to the brim from completely empty which costs about £45 quid (about 50litres), 50 litres = 10.99 UK gallons
This sounds about right because the fuel tank capacity is stated as 58 litres.

Ok lets totally ignore that American MPG computer.
Each tankful does me only just over 300 miles!
Lets be kind and say 320 miles this fill-up, and that I only needed 10 gallons for the fill up. That gives 32 miles per gallon, which seems a far cry from the brochure quoted 39.8mpg Combined driving, and the quoted Extra Urban figure of 47.9 gallons.
I think I am actually getting more like 28-30mpg. Surely I should be at least a little bit closer to the Combined figure.

That just doesn't sound right to me. Yes, I can read the small-print in the brochure which says "The results given above do not express or imply any guarantee of fuel consumption..."

Maybe I'm just not used to this kind of vehicle and I need to be more conservative when driving an SUV? I don't thrash it, but perhaps I can be easier on the throttle and keep the revs between 1500 and 2500 through better gear changing.

I will be keeping a close eye on it now, because filling up at £45 a go four times a month for 300 miles worth is not what I expected! I chose the Diesel because I thought it was going to be economical.

My dealer has checked the fuel emissions and says its fine. The engine sounds fine. Apparently the ECU (Engine Control Unit) is all computer managed and cannot be fine tuned manually in any way to make a leaner injection of fuel. Is that right, I don't know enough?  They suggested I talk to Hyundai about it, but its interesting to hear you guys having a similar 21 MPG computer reading. 
Are you being particularly cautious on the throttle?

I've also reported it to Hyundai Customer Service, so I'll wait to hear what they say. Perhaps there is some mechanical or ECU problem? (I hope so).

Making allowance for the MPG display being in US Gallons I can accept, but when my wallet is saying "Ouch", thats what I believe.

Hmmm. There seems to be a lot of talk about the fuel consumption on this forum.
However - I  DO LOVE my Tucson!!!  :)

Jim :unsure:
[snapback]5456[/snapback]​
I concur entirely with you. It sounds as though you are getting about the same return per gallon even with the lightest touch of my size elevens.
I bought the car as a retirement gift to myself, partly on the excellent fuel consumption figures in the brochure. I feel as if I've been "had" by Hyundai and like you I e mailed customer services the other day to that effect. No reply yet despite them promising one within three days. Maybe they are snowed under ?
I'll keep you posted as to their reply. If they ever do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Weebrian,

Thanks for the reply.
I've been looking at the ....
Singapore Tucson Forum

It seems this is a common concern by many Tucson owners!

I'll keep y'all posted on when/if I hear from Hyundai UK, and also whether I get any better MPG, perhaps by removing the accelerator ;)

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Originally posted by ukjim@Jan 25 2005, 09:38 PM
Hi Weebrian,

Thanks for the reply.
I've been looking at the ....
Singapore Tucson Forum

It seems this is a common concern by many Tucson owners!

I'll keep y'all posted on when/if I hear from Hyundai UK, and also whether I get any better MPG, perhaps by removing the accelerator  ;)

Happy motoring!
[snapback]5460[/snapback]​
Just had a reply from Hyundai. The usual crap about the published figures being only for vehicle comparison ? Not anymore than I would have expected from a large firm but it would have been nice to have received an appology at least. Not even a mention of the trip computer being incorrectly calibrated. I've sent a reply, see what that brings .
Cheers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by ukjim@Jan 25 2005, 09:31 PM
That gives 32 miles per gallon, which seems a far cry from the brochure quoted 39.8mpg Combined driving, and the quoted Extra Urban figure of 47.9 gallons.

[snapback]5456[/snapback]​

Hi there,

I converted You figures to SI metrics system (I have a uni degree in mathematics) and I would not complain about that!

First, I think for such calculation one unified system should be used worldwide - and the science introduced the SI system centuries ago. See just Your troubles with US Gallons/ UK gallons. Just hope the US mile is the same as UK mile. :)

My Hyundai Accent's board computer calculates in liters per 100 kilometers (l/100km) and it is absolutely punctual - altough both computer measured and real consumption are about 10% higher than given in brochures (I have now 6,9 l/100km average during first 3000 kilometers). In wintertime this should be OK.

Anyway I used following numbers:
1 mile = 1,609 km
1 gallon = 3.785 liter

So You 32 miles per gallon gives me 7,35 l/100km! (51.488km/3.785l, multiplied by 100, divided through 51,488). according www.hyundai.sk specification Your vehicle should have 7,1 l/100km combined. You are just very slighty above. After some thousend kilometers and win spring this only can be better.

My friend it is a magic, a wonder in positive mind that You achieve such consumption with such a heavy SUV. Even small&light cars, like VW Polo with 1.2-1.4l engine consum in real life about that!

What would be acceptable consumption for You - and for other complainers in this topic - then to move a 2000kg vehicle?

Best wishes, Attila

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, Atti 5. Now I can at least understand the previous messages.
Who can follow all the different measurements in gallons (even a difference in US and UK) and liters and between miles and km.
What age are we gone measure the same way and speak the same language?

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi Ginge
My New CRTD also low consumption so I had a go at the dealer who told me that the CRD takes a few tankfulls before it starts stretching the miles between gallons. I sure hope it happens soon as diesel prices are not as low as unleaded now and there is no benefit at all, just extra taxation although I am finding everything else AOK.
What about you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
:(
Hello everybody.
Your problem of high fuel consumption has to be well checked before complaining to dealers.
Actualy the problem can be real (you can find real fuel consumption by computing the ration between the fuel used to drive the car for 100 km - exact data from full tank to full tank again) or just a problem of misscalculation of the trip computer in the cluster.
For the moment HMC is checking the cars and replacing the ECM with modified (test)ones.
My car had a very high fuel consumption for the first 2000 km and then droped almost to specified values in the user manual provided by HMC.
It is true also that my car has a modified (incresed power by 30% by chip tunning) ECM adn a drive at high speed in city or highway.
So, for the moment just sit and wait. Solution is on the way! For sure :)
Regards

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

Spoke to the dealer as I reckon going by what my trip computer states and not the miles per gallon reading that I got 285 miles out of a tank of diesel. Took it to the red light.
Dealer advised to go through two tanks of diesel and see what i get from the trip, then contact them again.
I've done just over 1500 miles now in the 2.0crdt.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi again,

I'm just checking back in again with an update on how I'm getting on, and to reply to some of the comments by various people......

Atti_5, thanks for the extra info. :)
First, I think for such calculation one unified system should be used worldwide - and the science introduced the SI system centuries ago. See just Your troubles with US Gallons/ UK gallons. Just hope the US mile is the same as UK mile.

I'm based in UK so I'm used to UK Gallons and Miles.
I think most British very rarely think in terms of Litres/100km.

Actually I don't know - Are UK and US miles the same distance? I thought they are? :mellow:

So You 32 miles per gallon gives me 7,35 l/100km! (51.488km/3.785l, multiplied by 100, divided through 51,488). according www.hyundai.sk specification Your vehicle should have 7,1 l/100km combined. You are just very slighty above. After some thousend kilometers and win spring this only can be better.

Your comments are encouraging, although I now have 2500 miles on the clock. I agree that warmer weather and higher mileage may help some more. If you re-read my post, you will see the 32 MPG I quoted was erring on the positive side, i.e. being favourable to Hyundai, but I felt that I am not actually getting 32MPG!!

My friend it is a magic, a wonder in positive mind that You achieve such consumption with such a heavy SUV. Even small&light cars, like VW Polo with 1.2-1.4l engine consum in real life about that! What would be acceptable consumption for You - and for other complainers in this topic - then to move a 2000kg vehicle?

You are probably right! However the engineers at my Hyundai dealer were inclined to agree with me that my fuel consumption seemed rather high. They were shrugging their shoulders and looking a bit sheepish. But that being said, it is a new vehicle to them as well.

I might also remind people that I said....

So, since my original post on Tuesday 25th (now Saturday) for the last 5 days I have been driving with the utmost care.
As an experiment (and much to the annoyance of other drivers behind me) I have been EXCEPTIONALLY LIGHT on the throttle (using only sufficient to accelerate smoothly to the next gear change), and VERY GENTLE on gear changing, being careful to keep the revs between 1500 and 2500.

On B roads I have been doing 50mph in 4th/5th, and on the main A1 road which I use to go to work each day (I measured a 32 miles round trip, only 4 miles of which is Urban) I am using the cruise control to keep at a steady 5th gear 64mph. This seems a good speed to cruise at without constantly having to disengage the cruise control due to catching other people up - faster people generally overtake me, while I can gently overtake lorries.

My MPG meter has slowly risen in 5 days from 21.7, and today got to 22.5 MPG, the best yet for me. But according to the MPG meter this still only works out at 27.02 UK miles per gallon. I honestly don't know how I can drive any more economically!!!! :blink:

And if I am driving so carefully, why doesn't the MPG meter move to a much higher reading like 29 US MPG (=35 UK MPG) which is nearer to the brochure specs.

I have now re-filled the tank, and reset the Trip to zero (but NOT the MPG meter).

Now to the response from Ioinsumi.....

Your problem of high fuel consumption has to be well checked before complaining to dealers. Actualy the problem can be real (you can find real fuel consumption by computing the ration between the fuel used to drive the car for 100 km - exact data from full tank to full tank again) or just a problem of misscalculation of the trip computer in the cluster.

Yes - I am doing exactly that! And will keep you updated on progress.

For the moment HMC is checking the cars and replacing the ECM with modified (test)ones. My car had a very high fuel consumption for the first 2000 km and then droped almost to specified values in the user manual provided by HMC.
It is true also that my car has a modified (incresed power by 30% by chip tunning) ECM adn a drive at high speed in city or highway.

That sounds very interesting. Let me get this right. Are you saying that you know that HMC have acknowledged a problem? Can you be more specific please?

So, for the moment just sit and wait. Solution is on the way! For sure

Well I hope so.

Now to suedeblue....

Spoke to the dealer as I reckon going by what my trip computer states and not the miles per gallon reading that I got 285 miles out of a tank of diesel. Took it to the red light. Dealer advised to go through two tanks of diesel and see what i get from the trip, then contact them again. I've done just over 1500 miles now in the 2.0crdt.

Well, since getting my Tucson 2.0 CTRD CDX early December, 2500 miles, I have filled up about 8 times, and today I had done 316.4 miles on 50 litres = 28.78MPG. That still seems awful low to me. But like you guys have said, an SUV is bigger and heavier than a car, and maybe my expectations are wrong?

Now that I have filled up and reset the trip again, I will continue my light-footedness for the next week or so and see just how much I can squeeze out of a whole tank-ful! ;)

Wish me luck!

Oh - and by the way - after phoning and logging a call with Hyundai Customer Service Centre on Tuesday pm, and being promised a call back about the issue, I have still heard NOTHING!! :angry:

Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
:angry:

UK - Tucson CDX CRDT bought 01 Sep 2005. Combined mileage now tested (in November) by dealer, came out 31.5mpg. Dealer confirms that trip computer is not correct - US setting - but even then does not compute to UK output. Gone through dealer and Hyundai Uk customer care protocol without much luck. Magazine '4x4 & MPV Driver' January edition confirms issue. Their independent test 32mpg!!!!!

Taking action via Trading Standards as 79% of published combined is not 'reasonable' and should be challenged. Hyundai Uk confirms the dealer figures but throws it back to them as the dealer is liable.

I wanted them to take vehicle back after one month as I had already done 2,500miles with no improvement. The dealer is not helping and both dealer and hyundai gone very quiet. I am taking this further as if I had been informed that the vehicle was not designed to do more than 31.5/32mpg I would never have selected it! Shame - its a good car - but sold on misleading data.

Now done 10,000 miles and no improvement! Be warned.

I notice that on the Hyundai website the performance data has been altered to lower mpg for the CRDT versions - Interesting? There is a real problem here - don't lie back - tackle your dealer. This isn't about taking back trousers that don't fit at M&S - this is about spending up to £17K on something that isn't fit for purpose.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Combined mileage now tested (in November) by dealer, came out 31.5mpg.

Forgive me for my ignorance, we use l/100km in australia and dont get the diesel, but what is the rated MPG in your brochure? 32mpg seems pretty good to me for a vehicle that size being CRD and turbo/intercooled. Is it just a case of the figures being misleading? We take delivery of our V6 tucson next week, and I'm expecting that to be around 12-13l/100km (figures state 11). We have a '03 Getz at the moment and it took about 7000km for everything to run-in and get decent fuel economy. I think they build them tight because of the long warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Lucifer,

The published 'combined' (in other words the figure you could reasonably expect to reach if the car is driven sensibly between town and motorway) fuel figure for the diesel Tucson is 39.7 mpg. It has been agresssively marketed on that basis.

Tests on other similar sized SUV vehicles in the UK have delivered the 40mpg figure. e.g. a recent back to back test with the Rav4 delivered 40mpg as published, as did the Nissan x-trail - but the Tucson came in at a lowly 32mpg.

I also have a Getz Sport 1.3 bought six months earlier for my wife - nothing wrong with it - hits the fuel consumption as published - hence my confidence in Hyundai as a new customer - but Tucson simply has not delivered!

I still have my Jaguar XJ8 which the Tucson was bought to replace simply for commuting and the familiy car, and to gain the economy. That delivers exactly 24mpg cmbined as published - Hyundai cannot answer why the Tucson diesel so far does not, and obviously more and more UK customers are finding this out for themselves.

O4A39.7MPG

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was reading in the Santa Fe forum, and it seems there are a few similar concerns about fuel economy.

I am a 4x4 newbie, and I have spoken to a couple of other people who own other makes of 4x4. It has set a more realistic expectation of what I should be getting considering the size and weight of the vehicle, ie. don't expect miracles, be realistic.

But this is still what I consider to be mis-representation. One of the prime reasons I decided to buy the Tucson was its supposed economy - AS ADVERTISED IN THE BROCHURE. My wife and I can remember discussing the figures with the salesman.
Also I don't see how the dealer can be at blame. Who produced the brochures? Surely its Hyundai? And I am told (by the dealer) that the figures come from an independent advertising control group who road-test the vehicle and that Hyundai "have no control". How convenient!

Also in the Santa Fe forum it has been mentioned a couple of times to turn off the Traction Control System and the 4WD to improve fuel economy. I don't really see how this would help though.

Surely the TCS is supposed to be on all the time. When you turn on the engine the vehicle turns it on by default, which is what I expect the manufacturers think is best.
Also my understanding is that the TCS only operates when required, on slippery surfaces to prevent the wheels spinning. I have seen the TCS light come on only once, when I went round a wet bend with an adverse camber.

The 4WD is apparently designed to only operate below 19mph. There is a 4WD switch but surely this wouldn't force 4WD above 19mph, even if it is ON?
By the way, I have it switched off as normal.

I have scoured the net and there are one or two reviews from owners who say they are getting 32-36mpg. Maybe I can still achieve this (I am still in the progress of doing my own economy test).

Another thing I was reading about was that the CRTD has a new Variable Geometry Turbocharger, which was apparently going to be available "just in time" for the UK market.
I wonder if there is a problem with this?

Sorry I haven't got references for these reviews, I will see if I can find them again.
In the meantime I am going to turn off the TCS to see if that will improve things, although I don't believe this will make any difference.

Jim

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here are the links I mentioned:

Page re TCS and 4WD mode - simple overview near the bottom, nothing more really than what you already know from your dealer or owners manual
http://www.carpages.co.uk/hyundai/hyundai_...&echo=658847831

Channel 4 review - just the standard dealer specs for fuel consumption, but shown clearly for all potential customers to see!!
http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/H/...n04--costs.html

Channel 4 review suggesting Variable Geometry Torbocharger in time for UK Market
http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/dr...i/tuscon-3.html

What Car - Owner review stating 32-36mpg (are they absolutely certain?)
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/RoadTest_ReaderRe...?DL=0&RT=210374

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are other posts mentioning "chip upgrades" for the diesels, which must up the boost limit and alter fuel and ignition maps, gaining kW in the process. Perhaps the standard maps are tuned for slightly different fuel than what you have available, or are a compromise to allow use of blended fuels, which I have heard is common in europe. That is the biggest reason why Australia does not get a diesel option, our diesel is **** - too much sulphur. Fuel quality variations may be a factor? Just a thought..... So are all diesel Tucsons equipped with variable geometry turbines in the UK? Are the turbos hyundai branded or are they Garrett / IHI etc? Just curious....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too am annoyed over the fuel consumption around 18-20 locally and struggling 30 on a run. You may be interested to know that the tank capacity is nearly 62 litres as the last 4 litres are slow to fill.I was surprised but have re affirmed this twice which may make your fuel consumption even worse than you thought.

1 - 20 of 353 Posts