Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we got a lot of freezing rain and sleet here in Mississippi...quite an event for the South.
Got me thinking about the front wiper de-icer on the Tucson. Anyone know how this works? I know to hit the button on the climate control panel, but how is the heat generated?
Are there heater elements in the windshield or is it purely hot directed air?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean "front windshield de-icer"??
Well some websites like Edmunds refer to the 2013 limited as having a wiper de-icer.
However the button I was referring to in the the climate control cluster is referred to as a Front windshield defroster

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mean "front windshield de-icer"??
This is a extract from the JD Power review of the 2013 Tucson

The 2013 Hyundai Tucson is offered in a total of nine colors, although not all colors are offered on all trim levels: Chai Bronze, Kiwi Green, Aurora Blue, Iris Blue, Garnet Red, black, grey, silver, and white. The base model features 17-inch steel wheels, while the GLS upgrades to alloy wheels, and the Limited has 18-inch alloy wheels. The GLS trim level features roof rails, heated side mirrors, automatic headlights, and fog lights, while the Limited adds keyless entry and ignition plus a front wiper de-icer. A panoramic sunroof is optional on the Tucson Limited.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Hyundai IX35 Premium, as its keyless it has a start/stop button where the front windscreen deicer normally is but the manual states that the front de-icer will kick when the button for the rear windscreen defroster is pressed.
Thsi is direct from the owners manual....

Without smart key
The engine must be running to enable
this feature. To activate the front wiper
deicer, press the front wiper deicer button.
The indicator on the button illuminates
when the deicer is ON.
The front wiper deicer automatically
turns off after 20 minutes or when the
ignition switch is turned off.To turn off the
deicer, press the front wiper deicer button
again.
With smart key
If your vehicle is equipped with the wiper
deicer, it will operate at the same time

you turn on the rear window defroster.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I recently was using this feature a lot with all the ice storms we received.

So one morning after about 30-40 minutes of this ON... i got a really weird chemical/burning smell along with a slight humming noise !?!?!?! I literally was like WTF???

I had no idea where it was coming from.. but if "think" i located it to the windshield wiper de-icer feature or whatever its called (semantics)

So i turned this feature off, and the sound went away immediately and the smell shortly after. Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
It is getting confusing. Are they the same thing with 2 descriptions. OR

If it is a wiper de-icer feature, common sense is you need a source of heat to the "wiper" to get rid of ice/snow. Is the heat conducted thru the wiper arm & up. The wiper rubber is non conductive. If true, it is heating up the wiper arm to get rid of the ice accumulated & has nothing to do helping clear the windshield.

Beats me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It was my understanding that there is a heating element behind the front windshield glass that is supposed to melt away ice build up on your windshield washer blades.

The intent is to melt away ice/snow build on your blades so you don't have to bang them off when you're stopped at intersection. You still need to clear you windshield off yourself when you first get going, and as your cars cabin interior gets up to temperature your windshield normally doesn't build up and ice/snow anymore. But when it is snowing/sleet out your blades do collect this as you're all aware... and the de-icer is intended to transmit heat through your windscreen to melt it.

That is just my 2 cents of how it works... i haven't researched it to back it up.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It is getting confusing. Are they the same thing with 2 descriptions. OR

If it is a wiper de-icer feature, common sense is you need a source of heat to the "wiper" to get rid of ice/snow. Is the heat conducted thru the wiper arm & up. The wiper rubber is non conductive. If true, it is heating up the wiper arm to get rid of the ice accumulated & has nothing to do helping clear the windshield.

Beats me.
I had this on my 2010 Tucson GLS, I do believe it is a wire that's embedded in the windshield, and it works wonders when you need it. Another item I had was side mirror defrosters, that also were great to have! Lucky you guys that have these. I upgraded to a 2011 Sportage EX, and it does not have either of these! Plus, I only have cloth seats, no leather (even just as trim) I can't believe Kia was so cheap as to not include these standard esp. on it's EX trim pkge! :rolleyes:

I've been fighting with snow at the bottom of the windshield, and foggy, or frosted mirrors, since winter began! :(

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had this on my 2010 Tucson GLS, I do believe it is a wire that's embedded in the windshield, and it works wonders when you need it. Another item I had was side mirror defrosters, that also were great to have! Lucky you guys that have these. I upgraded to a 2011 Sportage EX, and it does not have either of these! Plus, I only have cloth seats, no leather (even just as trim) I can't believe Kia was so cheap as to not include these standard esp. on it's EX trim pkge! :rolleyes:

I've been fighting with snow at the bottom of the windshield, and foggy, or frosted mirrors, since winter began! :(
This has me totally confused also. The user manual talks about a windshield de-icer AND a windshield defroster so to me they are quite seperate.
I recently had my windshield replaced and there was no option to purchase one with a embedded heater element. If there is/was a element in my windshield it would have to plug into somewhere right? I would have thought that the guy who installed my new windshield would have noticed this :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
It has BOTH... a regular window de-froster...and a physical heating element around only where the windshield wiper blades are when at rest. it is behind the glass, you can't see it.

Not all models have it... here in canada i believe its standard on GLS and above

heres description for a toyota highlander

·
Registered
166 Posts
You have to be careful with these windshield shops. I had my other vehicles rear window replaced and they put a basic version in. I found out that they installed the wrong one. My other vehicle has a thing called a dual diversity antenna incorporated in to the rear glass. They ordered up the basic one (Cheaper) and still collected the full price insurance price.

They most likely did not search well enough or are lying that they can't order up the right one.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Hyundai IX35 Premium, as its keyless it has a start/stop button where the front windscreen deicer normally is but the manual states that the front de-icer will kick when the button for the rear windscreen defroster is pressed.
Thsi is direct from the owners manual....

Without smart key
The engine must be running to enable
this feature. To activate the front wiper
deicer, press the front wiper deicer button.
The indicator on the button illuminates
when the deicer is ON.
The front wiper deicer automatically
turns off after 20 minutes or when the
ignition switch is turned off.To turn off the
deicer, press the front wiper deicer button
again.
With smart key
If your vehicle is equipped with the wiper
deicer, it will operate at the same time

you turn on the rear window defroster.
Just to confuse matters even more. I have a push button start also. The text you have in your manual does not exist in my manual. The picture in the manual of the deicer shows it where my start button is!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to confuse matters even more. I have a push button start also. The text you have in your manual does not exist in my manual. The picture in the manual of the deicer shows it where my start button is!
my manual also shows a picture of the button where the start stop button is on my vehicle, as you said, it just confuses things :(

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has BOTH... a regular window de-froster...and a physical heating element around only where the windshield wiper blades are when at rest. it is behind the glass, you can't see it.

Not all models have it... here in canada i believe its standard on GLS and above

heres description for a toyota highlander

Highlander How-To: Windshield Wiper De-Icer | 2007 - 2009 Toyota Highlander - YouTube
I will have to wait until this evening to view that video, since youtube is blocked in my office, but thanks for posting it.
When you say the heating element is behind the glass, do youmean that it is NOT a integral piece of the windshield?
BTW I found a article on HyundaiUSA that states that the front wiper de-icer is fitted on ALL limited trims

·
Registered
166 Posts
I will have to wait until this evening to view that video, since youtube is blocked in my office, but thanks for posting it.
When you say the heating element is behind the glass, do youmean that it is NOT a integral piece of the windshield?
BTW I found a article on HyundaiUSA that states that the front wiper de-icer is fitted on ALL limited trims
It is part of the glass? That is a very good question. It very well could laminated as part of the glass... that would make a lot of sense. Then there should be two sku's when you got the front glass replaced (with and with out wiper de-icer/heating element)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is part of the glass? That is a very good question. It very well could laminated as part of the glass... that would make a lot of sense. Then there should be two sku's when you got the front glass replaced (with and with out wiper de-icer/heating element)
If its cold here over the weekend i will place some ice cubes near the front wiper and hit the rear defroster/de-icer button, since i do not have the button shown in the manual. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that this button is used when the start button is fitted in the vehicle. Maybe the ice cubes will melt!
If nothing else it will give my neighbors some thing to talk about "what is that mad scotsman up to now?"

·
Registered
9 Posts
If its cold here over the weekend i will place some ice cubes near the front wiper and hit the rear defroster/de-icer button, since i do not have the button shown in the manual. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that this button is used when the start button is fitted in the vehicle. Maybe the ice cubes will melt!
If nothing else it will give my neighbors some thing to talk about "what is that mad scotsman up to now?"
At least if it doesn't work you can tell them it was another mad Scotsman who told you about the button ;)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well tried the ice cubes, actually did not need them. When I hit the rear defrost button (passenger side opposite the push start button) Two things happen 1) the rear window heats up (was expecting that) and the mirror side mirror defrosters started working (the mirrors actually heated up really fast)
Absolutely no heat around the front wipers.
So I think there are two possibilities
1) My vehicle does not have this wiper de-icer (remember that the Hyundai blurb for the 2013 Tucson limited says it does)
2) The replacement front windshield should have had a heating element in it.
I went back to the glass shop and asked them if they say any wires from a heating element when they removed the cracked windshield (it was only a week ago). Guy said he did not remember.
Not sure what to do next.....this is a conundrum wrapped in a riddle

·
Registered
26 Posts
2012 Tucson Limited. Curious after reading this I checked on my Tuc. Embedded in the black part of the front windshield, where the wipers lie when at rest there are heating elements to de-ice the area of the wipers when they are not being used. Livivng in South Florida I had no idea they were even there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts