Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home the other night my 2005 Tucson died suddenly three times. I was able to restart but it would die again. I had it towed to the dealer where it demonstrated the same thing. They kept the car for 5 days, swapped out various parts but never located the problem. They said that the computer chip never showed what the problem was. They tested the car after each part change and it would still die eractically. Finally after a day when it did not die they declared it fixed. However no parts were changed and the service tech said they never did find out what was wrong but it might be ok now. If it still does it to bring it back in, but we are at the end of our rope on figuring out what it is. The problem is that my daughter drives this car to school 20 miles a day and is afraid to drive it. Has anybody had a similar problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
could it be air in the fuel line? I had the problem with another car, it would just die, but after it was left for an hour it started. It can happen if the tank is left to run to near empty. M

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have them check the throttle position sensor and the speed sensor. These come loose and may corrode when they get moisture. Clean them plug them back properly. That should do the job :amen:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm so glad (in a morbid way) to see that someone else has experienced this same problem! My 2006 Tucson has died on me several times, mostly during deceleration (at stop sign, pulling into parking space) and has been in the shop for 2 weeks while they work on it. They had called to tell me that my car was the only one having this problem, but that they were still working on it.

I bought mine primarily to travel to and fro work, and I do a significant amount of car travel (phoenix to LA; Phoenix to San Diego and beyond) for other activities. I am worried, as is your daughter that if we can't find the problem that the car may give out on one of these long and mostly isolated rides. As with your car, the computer is not registering any problems.

Please keep us posted (as will I) if anything comes from your experience. My gut is telling me I might end up looking at my state's lemon laws, although I really really would rather not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a 2005 Tucson and have also had this same problem. I have contacted 2 dealerships in the area and both have said they have never heard of it and that they would probably not be able to diagnose it. I have not taken it in because I am afraid of getting stuck with outragious costs if they find nothing wrong. Has anyone found a cause to the problem yet and a way to fix it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
well what they need to be doing is looking at the data stream through the diagnostic scan tool when the car dies. the PMC can relay all the sensors info to the scan tool. i sure feel bad for the guys busting their **** trying to figure out whats wrong with it and not getting paid

·
Registered
3 Posts
I received a call from the Hyundai dealership here in Cheyenne, WY. There is a fix and there is a bulliten out on this problem. Its has to do with some clamps that need replaced because they all to much air flow. The dealership number is 307-632-9292. I hope that they can help any who needs it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too am really happy to hear I am not the only one having this problem. I am driving along, stop at a light or at a stop sign and the car suddenly dies. I t does start again and it may die again later. Thank goodness this is not happening all the time but enough that its a concern.

I spoke to my local hyandai dealer and told them about the person in Wy and the bulletin they said they had not heard of it. I go in tomorrow with a print off of this page. So we will see....

To be cont.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
So this is a known fix, good, I'm planning on buying a tuscon tomorrow (yeah instead of the tiburon) and I plan to ask if they keep the clamps instock if they could be replaced upfront.

mx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I asked my dealer to double check the clamps, they swore that's not causing my problem.....

after several less than friendly discussions (including but not limited to "Mam, maybe it fixed itself" and "If you don't bring us our loaner car back by Monday at 5pm we're reporting it stolen.") I ended up having to take my car back, with no fix and the ride along computer system.

I am now left in the position of driving around town, hoping my car breaks. (how crazy is that?!?) I felt rather unsafe with this idea, but it sounded better than a record for car theft, so I had them document on my forms that "the car was safe to be driven" because the last thing I want is some insurance problem where they blame me for driving a car with a known problem that potentially causes an accident.

It's the best I can do at this point though. Am so frustrated and overwhelmed by the whole experience; never mind the whole issue of the phone call where they called to say they duplicated the problem, and then subsequently took it back because it makes their paper work look better. Not a happy camper here.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just try to bump the post to see if any one got a fix here as i have a similar issue. I have a 2006 Tucson V6 for 2 years and the engine keeps stalling recently especially when driving slowly. After some search, it seems quite many Tucson owners (05 and 06) have the same engine stalling problem. My dealer said there is no error code on my car and nothing can be done. It is very frustrating as they dont admit the issue that reported by many.

Does Hyundai headquarter aware of the issue and any one have it fixed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone come up with a solution to this problem. My 2006 Hyundai Tucson does the same thing, it dies at low rpm, usually when coming to a stop. I've taken it to 2 different dealerships. One drove it around for a while, and it didn't happen to them. Both have said that if they can't reproduce it, they can't fix it under warranty.

It is not the air intake clamps/hose, for sure, I had that problem as well. Actually one of the dealerships caused it when they changed the clamps per the notice out on the intake clamps and didn't tighten it enough.

Any help?
-Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

New to this forum but not to the issue. my girlfriends mother has an 05 tucson that surges at idel and stalls intermintly when comeing to a stop. i work at a local chevy dealership as a master technician and also run my own shop. Im working as fast as possible to get this sorted out b/c she too has been to the dealer and the cant find anything. If nobody has in going to call the dealer talked about in this thread that knows about the magical clamps, that are supost to fix this and see what they can tell me. i also have a friend that worked at hyundai looking into this. any extra information helps because something deff needs to be figured out with this. seeing how a whole group of people are having this issue. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
735 Posts
QUOTE (G-Rat Performance @ Feb 8 2009, 07:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=214070
Hello,

New to this forum but not to the issue. my girlfriends mother has an 05 tucson that surges at idel and stalls intermintly when comeing to a stop. i work at a local chevy dealership as a master technician and also run my own shop. Im working as fast as possible to get this sorted out b/c she too has been to the dealer and the cant find anything. If nobody has in going to call the dealer talked about in this thread that knows about the magical clamps, that are supost to fix this and see what they can tell me. i also have a friend that worked at hyundai looking into this. any extra information helps because something deff needs to be figured out with this. seeing how a whole group of people are having this issue. :thumbsup:
This will inm all probability be the Throttle sensor now the other thing is her tuc still covered by warranty (5 year warranty) as this part or any other sensor will be covered by them.
Come to tucsondrivers(dot)com where you will be able to fault find anything tucson-loads of very knowlegeable owners and a help area. see you there

Itza

·
Registered
1 Posts
This seems to be a common problem with Hyundai tucson. my wife encountered the same problem. We have changed the O2 sensors, catalic converter etc but the engine coudl still die on the way. very stressful, and dangerous too when this happens on the highway. Based on what I have read, I will proceed to replace the Trottle Posotion Sensor.

Hope to post and update on this subject, stay tuned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi I had a similar problem with mine. It turned out to be a water leak from the windscreen and dripped down onto the fuses under the steering wheel. Take the panel off and feel around the fuses to see if they are wet. It broke my heart trying to find out the problem. Was it raining at the time or have you noticed any water around the pedals? Only a suggestion I like to try the simple things first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 05 tuscon that dies whileoff the throttle rolling to a stop
Itook airfilter cover and intake hose off and mass air flow sensorlly extremely dirty and i plan on cleaning tps senser while im under there. I will update later on results

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughters 05 Tucson did the same thing -
shop couldn't figure out what was wrong-Hyundai dealer duplicated the problem-found the fuse block inside engine compartment corroded-tride cleaning and lubing-got worse-replaced the fuse block-so far so good...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts