Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all ,

Just bought a new Tucson 2010 , loving it so far , but after filling up the 2nd time around the Trip Computer "Distance Until Emtpy" did not reset ? anyone else having this problem or is this a my car problem ? how does the trip computer work to start with ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (braddy2020 @ Apr 22 2010, 04:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315537
Hi all ,

Just bought a new Tucson 2010 , loving it so far , but after filling up the 2nd time around the Trip Computer "Distance Until Emtpy" did not reset ? anyone else having this problem or is this a my car problem ? how does the trip computer work to start with ?

The distance until empty should be a function of the amount of gas you have in the tank and should not (and I believe cannot) be manually reset. When my tank is full mine usually reads 284 miles, this changes though based upon the way I am driving, etc. When you fill up your tank and you leave it on distance until empty you should see the number increase as you put gas into the tank.

Other items such as trip distance, avg MPG, and average speed, however, can only be rest by holding in the trip button for a few seconds when they are displayed on the dash.

Hope this helps!

-Chris in NJ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, the distance to empty should reset to a new figure based on the amount of fuel that you have added to the tank. I always reset the odometer function, avg mpg, avg speed and hours driven functions every time I fill up. It may be that unless you reset one or more of these, the computer might not realize that you had added fuel. Probably a one time glitch in your case.

As for how the computer functions work, most of them are based on fuel flow. The ECU counts injector pulses over a period of time and thereby arrives at a fair approximation of fuel flow. It calculates distance traveled by counting wheel revololutions using a part of the ABS and stability control system that is constantly monitoring wheel speed. Knowing the rolling circumference of your tires, the computer can then calculate the distance you have traveled since its last reset. Divide that distance by the amount of fuel used and you get a calculated average fuel economy.

In my experience across cars from several manufacturers, this computer-calculated mileage will almost always be a couple of mpg higher than you will get if you simply divide your trip odo distance by the amount of fuel that it took to refill your tank. I guess the manufacturers want to give you a warm feeling about your gas mileage. They must think that none of us can do manual calculations any more.

You will soon encounter another couple of problems in your fuel mileage and other factors related to it. First, it is difficult to fill the tank to the same point each time. There seems to be some sort of an air-venting problem because after the fuel shut-off on the gas station pump, you can get up to two more gallons in the tank depending on how patient you want to be with slowly manually adding fuel with several "vents" where you pull the nozzle fromt he filler neck and give if 5 or so seconds to vent air pressure. This is a pain in the neck but you can absolutely get anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 gallons more in the tank WITHOUT having fuel overflow the filler neck.

And the main thing you will find out about your trip computer's gas mileage calculations is that they are going to be far below your expectations. We are averaging 21 - 22 mpg for a 50/50 mix of freeway and light urban driving, 99% of which time the green ECO light is on indicating that we are driving conservatively. I have a number of posts on this subject in other threads so I won't belabor it here. Just don't expect the near-30 mpg highway economy that your window sticker told you you would get.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (dongrntuc @ Apr 22 2010, 11:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=315636
Yes, the distance to empty should reset to a new figure based on the amount of fuel that you have added to the tank. I always reset the odometer function, avg mpg, avg speed and hours driven functions every time I fill up. It may be that unless you reset one or more of these, the computer might not realize that you had added fuel. Probably a one time glitch in your case.

As for how the computer functions work, most of them are based on fuel flow. The ECU counts injector pulses over a period of time and thereby arrives at a fair approximation of fuel flow. It calculates distance traveled by counting wheel revololutions using a part of the ABS and stability control system that is constantly monitoring wheel speed. Knowing the rolling circumference of your tires, the computer can then calculate the distance you have traveled since its last reset. Divide that distance by the amount of fuel used and you get a calculated average fuel economy.

In my experience across cars from several manufacturers, this computer-calculated mileage will almost always be a couple of mpg higher than you will get if you simply divide your trip odo distance by the amount of fuel that it took to refill your tank. I guess the manufacturers want to give you a warm feeling about your gas mileage. They must think that none of us can do manual calculations any more.

You will soon encounter another couple of problems in your fuel mileage and other factors related to it. First, it is difficult to fill the tank to the same point each time. There seems to be some sort of an air-venting problem because after the fuel shut-off on the gas station pump, you can get up to two more gallons in the tank depending on how patient you want to be with slowly manually adding fuel with several "vents" where you pull the nozzle fromt he filler neck and give if 5 or so seconds to vent air pressure. This is a pain in the neck but you can absolutely get anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 gallons more in the tank WITHOUT having fuel overflow the filler neck.

And the main thing you will find out about your trip computer's gas mileage calculations is that they are going to be far below your expectations. We are averaging 21 - 22 mpg for a 50/50 mix of freeway and light urban driving, 99% of which time the green ECO light is on indicating that we are driving conservatively. I have a number of posts on this subject in other threads so I won't belabor it here. Just don't expect the near-30 mpg highway economy that your window sticker told you you would get.
Don, My new Tucson seems to be giving me the suggested mileage, but I hear ya, and feel for ya, IMO, there is definitely something wrong causing the poor mileage. I would speculate a drag of some type in the drive system. Is your Tucson FWD, or AWD? I noticed on mine that if you press the hill hold up/down button, the symbol on the dash disappears, meaning it could be on, or off, without your knowledge. I don't know if it resets to off by default when you turn the car off? This might be an issue, or, the ESC (elect. stab. ctrl.) which I know is always on by default, maybe there's an issue with this applying brake pressure invisibly, or somehow throttling the vehicle down inefficiently? Have you tried turning both of these off?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone had the experience of their trip computer average MPG function and average speed resetting itself to zero when you fill up or add fuel? I realize it can be reset manually but I want to take a trip and measure MPG on more than one tank. The dealer is clueless and says this is normal. I have never had a car that has done this before. It seems odd but hey the other cars have garage door openers and one even has a fold down passenger seat (imagine that!). The owners manual does not mention this and gives instructions on how to manually reset it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
QUOTE (Alexandur @ Jun 22 2010, 12:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335130
Has anyone had the experience of their trip computer average MPG function and average speed resetting itself to zero when you fill up or add fuel? I realize it can be reset manually but I want to take a trip and measure MPG on more than one tank. The dealer is clueless and says this is normal. I have never had a car that has done this before. It seems odd but hey the other cars have garage door openers and one even has a fold down passenger seat (imagine that!). The owners manual does not mention this and gives instructions on how to manually reset it.
Press and hold the trip button for 2 seconds to manually reset the average MPG and average speed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you for letting me know how to reset the trip computer however, my question is about keeping it from being reset when refueling. The average MPG and speed RESETS ITSELF (without me pushing the reset button) EVERYTIME I refuel. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (Alexandur @ Jun 22 2010, 11:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335218
Thank you for letting me know how to reset the trip computer however, my question is about keeping it from being reset when refueling. The average MPG and speed RESETS ITSELF (without me pushing the reset button) EVERYTIME I refuel. Has anyone else had this issue?
I have also had this happen 2-3 times on mine also, doesn't seem like it should do that. Because you may want a longer term MPG reading as opposed to just tank to tank.

·
Registered
838 Posts
QUOTE (boltguy @ Jun 22 2010, 08:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335375
I have also had this happen 2-3 times on mine also, doesn't seem like it should do that. Because you may want a longer term MPG reading as opposed to just tank to tank.
Mine does this as well, I understand what you mean. You cannot get an average total mpg for a long trip when you refuel a few times along the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It seems that some are doing it and some are not. My Tuscon was one of the first ones off the line (nov 16, 2009 build date, delivery in mid Dec 09). I wonder if their was a software update on later models? Do those of you with similiar issues have early production build dates? The dealer says that this is the way it was designed. It doesnt seem right that they would design it this way. Although foolish decisions are entirely possible. Just look at some of the other short sighted decisions, like the homelink ommision/lack of rear washer/nav screen placement/front passenger seat that does not fold down/silly horn/lack of proximity key/etc.

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (Todd Nicholson @ Jun 23 2010, 09:37 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335510
Mine has never done this. Only the Range resets automatically when refueling. Mine has a build date of Feb 9, 2010.

I agree...ours does the same; build date of late April, 2010.

As others have mentioned, the re-set of the mpg and/or re-setting the trip odo,
resets both, which is a data design glitch, imo.
GL, mD

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Welcome to the forum:00000732:
Please fill in your location for better response
Also, can you explain in more details of your problem? counting up does not make sense??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts