Hyundai Forums banner

TSB that supports 5w-40 synthetic

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  williamhood 
#1 ·
I recall a few years ago a TSB from Hyundai that called out using 5w-40 synthetic in the 2.0T Theta II engine. Can anyone supply a link to it? My newly replaced short block was installed using 5w-20 and that's because that's what they claimed to use.

Thanks,

#3 ·
Your owners manual has the oil grades list for your specific engine.

#4 ·
There was a TSB for the Kia Optima that updated what was in the printed MY owners manual. They do list the 5W-40 oil for the 2.0T. I would imagine that Hyundai would follow the same.

#6 ·
You need to go in there with a video camera and confront them. This is contributing to engine failures.

The dealer uses their 5w20 and 5w30 synthetic blend in all their cars. Why? Because it's much easier to fill it up with a hose than to open up 5 bottles and empty them into a funnel.

We've confirmed this across the community, sadly they don't care what oil your car takes. It's going to get whatever they decide on that particular day.

#7 ·
Since most engines today can use 5W-20, they (the dealershp) typically only have "bulk oil" of one common grade. Just get the thinner oil out in the first 200 miles of engine break-in and go with the tougher oil (I use 0W-40 Castrol Edge and Fram Ultra XG9688 filters).

#9 ·
I just changed my oil/filter and took a sample for Polaris for my used oil analysis. I switched from Castrol Edge 0W-40 to 5W-40 "just because" (bought it from Wal-Mart online for $22, free shipping). I've been running E30 gas since my last ~4K mile oil change and I wanted to see what my UOA reports back. I'm also about 8.3K miles on my new replacement engine so I want to get a decent baseline to compare to my old engine as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.