Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Thank you very much for this article. I now know that larger tires put more stress to the wheel bearings and that 18'', 19'' or 20'' rims on a car designed for no more than 17'' will put stress on the suspension and because they are heavier the car will be slower.

·
22,787 Posts
As tires get lower in profile, the fuel economy goes down and the ride sucks more.
The exact opposite of my own personal preferences with my butt and my wallet in mind while purchasing new tires.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Here is another great article on comparison of rim sizes on same car, and same diameter tire:
Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept. - Car and Driver

As tires get lower in profile, the fuel economy goes down and the ride sucks more.
I don't think the 'profile' of the tire is what is causing the bad fuel economy. The larger (and heavier) wheel they put on, they lowered the profile as well. I think the fuel economy was more affected by the higher unsprung weight than by the profile itself. If you (hypothetically) put on a 19'' wheel that weighed less than a 15'' wheel, I don't think you'd see a dash in your fuel economy. Your gearing would change and everything like that, but I think unsprung weight contributes a lot of acceleration and fuel economy issues.

At the shop I work at most of the people having issues (Vibration, uneven wear, noise, poor handling)are people from the 'bad part of town' with their donk cars and SUVs with 19-24'' wheels & tires.

Regarding ride, I tend to disagree with a lot of people on this-- it's subjective so there's no real right answer here, IMO. But I tend to like stiff suspension. I really dislike detached Buick-like cushy suspensions. In my track car, I have to brace myself when I see a nickel on the road. But that's me-- I like to feel like i'm driving a go-kart at all times. So for me, when I think of a suspension that 'sucks' I think luxury and large cars. It's always more fun to go 40mph in a go-kart than in a bus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rough Ride

I have a 2014 Santa Fe Sport FWD with factory Aluminum Wheels on 235/ 65-17 Kohmo tires on it and it has a bad Vibration in it when you drive it down the road it starts at 20mph and is bad at 40 mph and not as bad at 60 mph but is still there i have had it to 80mph and it is still there it feels like there is something out of round or a loose wheel the passnger seat Vibrats and the head rest on the back seat also Vibrats , you can feel every Bump in the road it only has 10352 miles on it i have had the tires balanced 3 times ?? dose Anybody have this problem ?:frown:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went back to the dealer with my problem about the rough and harsh ride the vibrations it has they do not know what the problem is. as many views a this has on the forum somebody out there is a auto tech or works at a Hyundia dealship that can help me find out what the problem is ???

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
I have a 2014 Santa Fe Sport FWD with factory Aluminum Wheels on 235/ 65-17 Kohmo tires on it and it has a bad Vibration in it when you drive it down the road it starts at 20mph and is bad at 40 mph and not as bad at 60 mph but is still there i have had it to 80mph and it is still there it feels like there is something out of round or a loose wheel the passnger seat Vibrats and the head rest on the back seat also Vibrats , you can feel every Bump in the road it only has 10352 miles on it i have had the tires balanced 3 times ?? dose Anybody have this problem ?:frown:
If you still have the vibration issue, some shops do a spinning wheel balancing. Not sure if that's the correct name, but they leave the tires on the vehicle and spin each one to do a perfect balance. Don't know how it's done, but I've heard it can resolve vibration when traditional balancing doesn't.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This is Why i would never Put Low Profile Tires on big alluminum wheells ever. even Just having a low profile tire alone on a aluminuim rims this can happen is it worth it.? No not in my opinion. its nothing new to me Just passing it along for anyone interested in doing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts