Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI- I Had a *rather unfortunate* incident this morning. I woke to find my trunk wide open and several items valued at over $700 missing!!! As you can imagine, this *really* ticks me off! What good is all this technology if it doesn't work?! And I know for a fact I locked the car too!

The worst thing is, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, no way of knowing until after the fact. This was not a one time occurrence either; it happened once before a couple weeks ago. My neighbor woke me up first thing in the morning to inform me my trunk was wide open. Fortunately nothing had been touched the first time.

I'm worried the dealer will tell me there's nothing they can do about it because they cant duplicate the problem. So what? Does this now mean that the trunk has rendered it useless to leave *anything* of value in the car? Come to think of it, this also makes it easy to break in to the car as well; since all they would have to do is drop the rear seats and climb on through. *Sheesh!* the more I think about it, the worse it truly is and the more this ticks me off!

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
One morning I came out to find my trunk open too. On my 2006 every now and then the trunk would be popped but with that one the trunk stayed closed so no water ever got in and nothing was ever taken. I'm guessing it is because the button was pushed in my pocket that caused the trunk to pop open. I know I've set off the alarm several times with my 2011. It scares me that the trunk pops open with the button being pushed as I can imagine coming out to a trunk full of water or missing stuff.

·
Registered
267 Posts
QUOTE (alex2006sonata @ May 22 2010, 06:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325378
I'm guessing it is because the button was pushed in my pocket that caused the trunk to pop open.......
Yeah, I've locked and unlocked my doors several times while working around the car with the fob in my pocket. It's really sensitive so you have to be real careful and visually check the car or get in the habit of locking it with the fob after you walk away from it.

Don

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (DonRich90 @ May 22 2010, 06:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325382
Yeah, I've locked and unlocked my doors several times while working around the car with the fob in my pocket. It's really sensitive so you have to be real careful and visually check the car or get in the habit of locking it with the fob after you walk away from it.

Don
That's how I know I locked it. I do it *every* time I get out of the car. Take fob out of pocket, press lock button. And in the evenings I also look back to insure lights go off too as the car does not warn you when you leave the stalk switch in the "on" position.

For what it's worth, I've also had a BMW where you had to press the button multiple times with the cadence, "just so" or else it would not open. That used to annoy me but considering the alternative I now see why they made it that way. Same thing with my mother's Subaru, you have to push it multiple times to get the rear hatch to open. It's starting to sound like a design flaw on Hyundai's part. I used to carry my keys in my right pocket however, every time I did that in the Hyundai, the trunk would pop open as soon as I sat in the car due to the fob pressing between my leg and the center console. Now I ONLY carry the fob in my left pocket. I'm surprised this has never come up before that Hyundai would not have already addressed it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did you by any chance open the trunk before you went inside? I found that a couple times, I closed the trunk, but not with enough force. It sounded like it closed but a few seconds later it opened up by itself.

·
1,914 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you had things taken. We had this problem with an Elantra on our lot last year. I was doing stuff on the hyundai lot and all day we kept seeing the trunk open and we would close it. We thought someone was messing with it but it was doing it all by itself. I'm not sure if they ever found out what was wrong.

·
Registered
209 Posts
the first car i ever had with remote door opener i had this happen. one morning i came out and my trunk was mysteriously open. the bad part was it rained like 2-3 inches that night. what a wet mess i had... it also happened another time, a friend told me, "i shut your trunk for you on my way in."

point is, i wouldn't say the trunk was randomly opening on it's own. i think i accidentally hit the button without realizing on a couple of occasions.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (louky @ May 22 2010, 07:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325394
the first car i ever had with remote door opener i had this happen. one morning i came out and my trunk was mysteriously open. the bad part was it rained like 2-3 inches that night. what a wet mess i had... it also happened another time, a friend told me, "i shut your trunk for you on my way in."

point is, i wouldn't say the trunk was randomly opening on it's own. i think i accidentally hit the button without realizing on a couple of occasions.

As I was saying on my previous post, I've dealt with other cars with similar features that required "multiple" presses to prevent accidental activation.

For the record, I just got off the phone with the dealer and he's informed me that until a resolution can be found, there is a valet switch on the trunk latch inside the trunk; it's there to prevent a valet from gaining access to your trunk, even when he has the fob. It will mean you will have to use the little "secret" key on your fob to open the trunk but at least it will prevent any "random" openings from occurring.

After talking with him I'm also thinking that it may have happened when I sat down with the fob in my pocket. Perhaps the pants were just tight enough to depress the button. A possible solution to this is an aftermarket fob cover the dealer sells. It has a cutout for the buttons but as a result of the cover, they will be slightly recessed making it less likely to allow for accidental activation. Does anyone have one of these and if so, what's you're thought on the matter?

Lastly, I know in the case of BMW's, just about every feature of a cars now days can be "customized" if you have NAV. In the case of those cars without Nav, the dealer can plug in their own computer and reprogram many features. I asked if he could inquire as to whether or not it would be possible to reprogram the receiver to require "multiple" pressings of the button, rather than one long 3 second push. This would resolve the problem once and for all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had this happen to me a few times while i was at work. I had to put the lock switch on the trunk to stop it from happening only thing now though its annoying to open the trunk. i thought about trying to add some kind of weight to the trunk to keep it closed

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ May 22 2010, 06:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325402
Lastly, I know in the case of BMW's, just about every feature of a cars now days can be "customized" if you have NAV. In the case of those cars without Nav, the dealer can plug in their own computer and reprogram many features. I asked if he could inquire as to whether or not it would be possible to reprogram the receiver to require "multiple" pressings of the button, rather than one long 3 second push. This would resolve the problem once and for all.
Sorry to say, that won't guarantee resolution of the problem. I have a '99 Maxima with remote start that required two pushes of the button and holding the button on the second push to activate. My work desk was right by a window that overlooked our parking lot. At least 5 times in the 3 years I worked there people came in and told me that my car was running in the parking lot. And it would auto-shut off after 10 minutes so who knows how many other times I started the car and didn't know about it.

BTW, that Maxima had a really annoying feature. The electric trunk release was under the driver arm rest. Take a turn a little too fast and your leg would hit the button. Really embarrassing to have to constantly pull over to close your trunk.

·
Registered
255 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ May 22 2010, 06:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325402
As I was saying on my previous post, I've dealt with other cars with similar features that required "multiple" presses to prevent accidental activation.

For the record, I just got off the phone with the dealer and he's informed me that until a resolution can be found, there is a valet switch on the trunk latch inside the trunk; it's there to prevent a valet from gaining access to your trunk, even when he has the fob. It will mean you will have to use the little "secret" key on your fob to open the trunk but at least it will prevent any "random" openings from occurring.

After talking with him I'm also thinking that it may have happened when I sat down with the fob in my pocket. Perhaps the pants were just tight enough to depress the button. A possible solution to this is an aftermarket fob cover the dealer sells. It has a cutout for the buttons but as a result of the cover, they will be slightly recessed making it less likely to allow for accidental activation. Does anyone have one of these and if so, what's you're thought on the matter?

I'm sorry to hear about your things being stolen. This has happened to me once before but I was away for only 10 minutes at the most. When I came back I was like WTF?!. The buttons are too sensitive so hopefully it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
There is a lot to read through but if you haven't tried yet, you can "lock" the trunk lid so that it only opens with the key. This may not be a completely acceptable option. But better than losing $700 worth of stuff again. To lock it, there's a lever on the trunk lid latch

·
Registered
49 Posts
QUOTE (DonRich90 @ May 22 2010, 05:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325382

Don
One way you can keep this from happening would be to purchase a smart key holder. On ebay do a search for hyundia genesis coupe smart key leather case holder. I ordered two for me and my wife works great. I ordered from xauto-artx $19.00 each plus shipping. They do fit 2011 sonata remote also you can still use the buttons by pressing hard. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine used to do that also along with unlocking the doors ETC. I determined that it was the remote FOB that I kept in my pocket but all that went away when I had the remote starter installed, I have a Viper 2-way system the system returns a tone on the FOB every time a function is activated by the fob and the car sends back the acknowledgement.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (tCizzler @ May 22 2010, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325442
There is a lot to read through but if you haven't tried yet, you can "lock" the trunk lid so that it only opens with the key. This may not be a completely acceptable option. But better than losing $700 worth of stuff again. To lock it, there's a lever on the trunk lid latch
It would at least let you know if the problem is a defect in the latch or accidental button presses.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'd bet on accidental button pressing too, so OP should place remote on a place where buttons can't be pressed accidentally.

Now, with the remote out of range, trunk can be electrically opened only one way. The trunk's button requires the remote to be around, so it can only be opened with the trunk button inside the car, next to the gas cap. I don't know if it operates with the doors closed and remote out of range. Bottom line is the chances of a weird electronic malfunction (can't think of one in this case) to open the trunk by itself without any vibration (car is not moving) seem next to impossible to me, but could be wrong. And I've had very weird electronic gremlins on by BMWs before :grin: . Good luck.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
While I have an older Sonata I too have my trunk randomly open which is usually the result of fob presses on accident.
Although the previous Sonatas only crack open where the new ones open completely...Yikes.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have had my 2011 limited just two nights and this happened to ours this evening. The only thing I have done different is that I did use the dash release button once then locked it with the fob pressing lock twice. Two hours later the wife notices the trunk was wide open.
I have one of those electronic key fob signal testers that we used at work to test fob signals and diagnose to sensitive fob switch's on a certain Swedish brand cars. They had a similar problem where the vendor changed the rubber diaphragm spec for the key fob buttons and the alarm would turn off and unlock with the key in your pocket. They finally did a self product service bulletin fix.
I will test how sensitive the switch controls are and repost the findings. I was leaning more toward the sticking dash switch but we will see.

Update:::
Using the fob signal tester I found all the fob buttons to function correctly and that there were not over sensitive at all. Even tapping on the case had no ill effect. So in fact that you are to press the trunk button for several seconds for the latch to unlock and open makes no sense to me for the too sensitive button in your pants theory unless it was to stick closed for a while ?
Sticking dash switch or car side fault ?? Anyway seems to be more than a car or two thing ?
I hope Hyundai is listening and working on a fix. I would hate to have to use the valet key all the time.

..UPDATE NUMBER TWO WITH POSSIBLE SOLUTION TWO POSTS DOWN

1 - 20 of 32 Posts