Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you had the condition of the trunk popping open on its own, Did you ever find out what the problem was and get it repaired ?

Did it turn out to be :

1) The key fob

2) Trunk latch

3) Operator error

4) Other

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm going to vote that probably 90% of the case is accidental user error. I had my wallet in the pocket with the fob and accidentaly popped the trunk when I sat down in the car. So I'm sure most cases is a similar case where something else in the pocket made contact with the fob. I think Hyundai needs to change the design of the trunk release on the fob. It should be like other cars I've driven like Chrysler's where to pop the trunk you have to double tap the button. Chances of you accidentally double tapping the button in your pocket is very slim. Chances of something pushing in and holding onto the bottom in your pocket is a lot higher. So hopefully in the future Hyundai goes to a double tap design.

·
Registered
233 Posts
In my case, it turned out to be the Key Fob in pocket issue. Just ordered a fob case on line, I'm hoping that will take care of the problem because using the key to open my trunk all the time is a hassle.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure I would like the fact that the case is open on one end. I would prefer that it be fully enclosed. Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My trunk popped open tonight as well while I was in a restaurant. Possibly user error but you have to hold that button down for a second or more, not just bump it. I suspect alien involvement.

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
This happened to me the other morning. I was out of town this week staying at a hotel. I always look back at my car as I'm walking away and I never put anything in my pocket with the FOB. I was never anywhere within range of the car with the FOB (room on the third floor). Came out the next morning and my trunk was wide open. The parking lot stayed pretty packed the whole week, so I'm starting to lean towards the trunk release signal being on a common frequency with something else. Probably somebody elses remote. I have, on rare occasions, used my keyless remote on other cars in a parking lot and actually unlocked somebody elses doors. So, it's not a stretch to say that may be what's happening here.

This has never happened before, and I drive the car every day (~4800 miles on it). But, it was the first time I ever parked close to that many other cars. Normally I try to stay away from other cars to avoid the door dings, but I didn't really have a choice this time.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vewdew..
.. I think that you will be shocked at the real working distance of the key fob signal. I was parked on the roof at work and tried my fob, to my surprise it worked, This was at over three times the working distance of any other new car we sell .... _ _ W. It also will work from the back of my house though the walls or garage doors. Give yours a test and I think that you might be surprised.

I chaulked my problem up to operator error. It happened to me once, and since then I had the dealer test the system and run the last alarm signal faults for codes. Nothing ever came up. They did replace the trunk latch assembly for me, only as a possibility. Luckily I have not had the problem again. I now try to be very careful about how I handle the fobs.

·
Registered
932 Posts
QUOTE (snapper41 @ Jul 23 2010, 08:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344312
vewdew..
.. I think that you will be shocked at the real working distance of the key fob signal. I was parked on the roof at work and tried my fob, to my surprise it worked, This was at over three times the working distance of any other new car we sell .... _ _ W. It also will work from the back of my house though the walls or garage doors. Give yours a test and I think that you might be surprised.

I chaulked my problem up to operator error. It happened to me once, and since then I had the dealer test the system and run the last alarm signal faults for codes. Nothing ever came up. They did replace the trunk latch assembly for me, only as a possibility. Luckily I have not had the problem again. I now try to be very careful about how I handle the fobs.
I would tend to agree on this. I've had it happen 3 or 4 times to me and each time it's been while the car was parked in my garage at home. I've never had it happen when I was at work or when I've been out shopping. And I know sitting down can at times hit the buttons. It's not inconceivable that when sitting down a button actually gets held long enough to open the trunk.

·
Registered
233 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ Jun 5 2010, 12:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329984
In my case, it turned out to be the Key Fob in pocket issue. Just ordered a fob case on line, I'm hoping that will take care of the problem because using the key to open my trunk all the time is a hassle.
Just a brief follow up: I've had my Key FOB Cover for about a month now and not once has the trunk opened unexpectedly. Even so, anytime I place anything of real value in the trunk, I flip the "Valet Switch" to be safe.

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (jdubs @ Jun 7 2010, 07:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330705
My trunk popped open tonight as well while I was in a restaurant. Possibly user error but you have to hold that button down for a second or more, not just bump it. I suspect alien involvement.

Now this is getting absurd, you know it can't be aliens.................it's got to be ghosts. :whistling:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Or the ghosts of aliens?

:alien:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With so many with the same complaint , there has to be a real fixable reason for all these fob related incidents.

Many years ago when I worked for V_ _ _ _ , They had a similar problem where customers were complaining of unlocked car doors and trunks. It turned out that the supplier of the rubber membrane in the fob had changed the manufacturing process spec and this was causing the malfunctions, all you had to do was look at the fob cross eyed and the buttons would make contact. It did turn into a full recall and we must have replace several hundreds of the membranes inside these fobs to a stiffer spec. It was a good fix that worked well and made everyone's life better. :wallbash:

·
Registered
143 Posts
QUOTE (JohnWho @ Jul 24 2010, 03:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344413
Or the ghosts of aliens?

:alien:
Fine, I admit it probably wasn't aliens or ghosts or any combination thereof. I purchased a nice leather cover for my fob and have had no more problems. Possibly the cover is keeping the extraterrestrials and paranormal activity away. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
ha! I'm not the only one. This happened to me. It was raining all night and my trunk was open all night and got soaked. It was awful!

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
I had this same problem, a lot. Activating the "lock" on the inside of the trunk latch makes it so you can't use your FOB, the interior button, OR the trunk button, only the key. So that's lame.

What I finally did was take apart the remote and actually epoxy the trunk and panic button so they wouldn't depress. I can still use the proximity feature on the trunk pop and also the button on the interior of the car. The hassle of not being able to use the FOB for that is worth the peace of mind of everything in my trunk and car stolen/wet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts