Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had the car since the end of April. About 8 or 9 times I've had
people come into my office and tell me that my truck is open.

If you own one of these you know that the word "hair trigger" does not
come to mind with opening the truck remotely. You have to purposely
work the trunk button. I really don't thinks it's because I sat on the key
fob or bumped it so it accidentally opened the trunk.

As you can imagine I keep valuable things in my trunk so this is not
good.

Anyone else had this issue.

Thanks,

JT

·
22,792 Posts
JT, I did. There was some hot discussion on this about 2 years ago. Once I started putting my keys in the front pocket(s) instead of the hip pocket, the problem corrected itself.

I can sit in the house, and hear the chirp from the alarm arming 50 feet away in the driveway. This remote actually works from a farther distance than my boss's Lexus!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bad enough they don't give you a locking glove compartment. But
now the trunk is just as unsafe.

JT

·
Registered
362 Posts
This happened to me as well but its all because I didn't want to close the trunk hard enough for the lid to latch. Now everytime I have closed the trunk, I tug at it upwards to make sure it latched shut.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Never had such a problem with this car or previous cars. But I did have the lock and unlock buttons pressed accidentally when in my pocket.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
its a feature. its trying to predict when you want your trunk open. just unplug the battery to clear the ECU so it can relearn your trunk opening patterns.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I found myself unintentionally driving around allot with the trunk unlocked on my '06 Azera. Its trunk button DID have a "hair trigger" and apparently got inadvertently pressed within my pocket more often than the panic button did.

That stupid panic button...I hate it when that happens...

The "trunk" thing hasn't happened with my Elantra. Then again though, I've only had it a week.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
This also happened with me within the first few months of owning the car. It would either be open when i would return to my car or the trunk would fly open down the road. One time, I luckily caught it before i took off. so I began to check the trunk. Sure enough, it was open. My problem was that the heel of my shoe would catch on the trunk release lever either when I got in or out of the car. I then started to keep my foot away from the thing when i enter or exit the car. I haven't had a problem with my trunk since then. This may not be the solution for everyone but i hope this helps.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
As I have the smart key, I didn't want to put any other keys on it and have never had this issue. The key for my car is always in my right pocket, alone. I know my dad used to set off the panic alarm on his Acura on a fairly regular basis and once he stopped putting it in the same pocket as his change and cell phone, it stopped happening.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It happened to me one time shortly after I purchased mine. I noticed that I had placed something (not very heavy) on my key fob and it most likely depressed the truck lid button. I think this button is "sensitive" to the touch. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guess I will have to put a bunjy chord on it. With all the responses it seems like this is a longstanding problem. Why don't they fix it.
Are they waiting for some advancement in trunk opening technology?

Thanks,

JT :mad:

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts

·
22,792 Posts
I'd forgotten about the success others had with the neoprene (rubber?-I don't know) remote jacket.

Last Saturday morning, I was washing Ingrid. Had my spare remote holding the single key. It was in my cargo shorts side pocket with an ink pen. I had stooped down to wash one of the rims and the doors locked. I know the cause. Sensitive little guy, this remote fob.

But the trunk button takes a deliberate hold, maybe a second? Only way I could explain was me sitting on it in my rear pocket.

·
Registered
232 Posts
its a feature. its trying to predict when you want your trunk open. just unplug the battery to clear the ECU so it can relearn your trunk opening patterns.
Hahahaha! Good one! I've had the same problems with the sensitivity of the trunk button on the fob, and as such, had to learn to handle my keys differently. I just don't hold on to the fob. And yes, the usable range of the fob is extreme. I've unlocked my car from the neighboring zip code!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Incidents like this has been discussed here in the past. For me as well as others, the problem or culprit is the remote control. Unless you're 100% certain it's not the remote, pick one of these up.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...-4DQAQ&usg=AFQjCNGHaFqnMzDmKiWjpKqaTp4vO4Codw
Works like a charm and no problems since.
Silly question...and I'm sure, a simple "no-brainer" answer.

The Hyundai FOB had a non-removable leather tab for the key ring as compared to my Chevy FOB, which merely has a small removable ring.
The "jacket" in the link shows that it too would run through that leather tab. So...how does it install so it totally encases the Hyundai FOB without cutting something to make it fit?

I'm probably going to order me a couple of those jackets...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Silly question...and I'm sure, a simple "no-brainer" answer.

The Hyundai FOB had a non-removable leather tab for the key ring as compared to my Chevy FOB, which merely has a small removable ring.
The "jacket" in the link shows that it too would run through that leather tab. So...how does it install so it totally encases the Hyundai FOB without cutting something to make it fit?

I'm probably going to order me a couple of those jackets...
The jacket comes with a small metal keyring similar to the Chevy one you got. The strap has to be removed and no problems there since the ring is more durable.

·
Registered
306 Posts
After a quick test I found the remote has at least a 120 foot range, and thats around a corner thru trees and a fence. Thats better then my DECT 6.0 cordless phones.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts