Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a Trunk-Mounted Bike Rack for the 2011 Sonata? The back bumper on the Sonata doesn’t seem to protrude enough to support the weight. Bumper also slopes at an incline instead of a flat surface. I wonder if my only option is a trailer hitch type of rack. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
QUOTE (rocktalk @ Jun 7 2010, 12:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330494
Can anyone recommend a Trunk-Mounted Bike Rack for the 2011 Sonata? The back bumper on the Sonata doesn’t seem to protrude enough to support the weight. Bumper also slopes at an incline instead of a flat surface. I wonder if my only option is a trailer hitch type of rack. Any suggestions are appreciated.
As a long time bicyclist, if you have one bike, I recommend dropping the back of the rear set and putting the bike inside the car with the front wheel removed. It worked in my Accord, it should work in the Sonata too.

For two bikes, I would use a trailer hitch rack. More secure and far less chance of damaging your vehicle. Thule makes fine racks as does Yakima. They are worth the price to protect both your bikes and your new car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (bsdjax @ Jun 7 2010, 07:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330700
As a long time bicyclist, if you have one bike, I recommend dropping the back of the rear set and putting the bike inside the car with the front wheel removed. It worked in my Accord, it should work in the Sonata too.

For two bikes, I would use a trailer hitch rack. More secure and far less chance of damaging your vehicle. Thule makes fine racks as does Yakima. They are worth the price to protect both your bikes and your new car.

Thanks for the tip. It is for two bikes so the trailer hitch rack you mentioned makes sense. Off hand, who puts hitches on? Thanks.

Allan

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a Saris Bones rack I purchased years ago for my 99 accord that fits the Sonata just fine. I don't use it though since we have a Honda Pilot with a hitch and a rack for that. If you do go with the Saris Bones, just get some of those foam things that people use for putting a canoe on their roof. Put them over the rubber feet and the pedal that is closest to the car and your car will be fully protected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (jtfortin @ Jun 8 2010, 02:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330937
I have a Saris Bones rack I purchased years ago for my 99 accord that fits the Sonata just fine. I don't use it though since we have a Honda Pilot with a hitch and a rack for that. If you do go with the Saris Bones, just get some of those foam things that people use for putting a canoe on their roof. Put them over the rubber feet and the pedal that is closest to the car and your car will be fully protected.

Do you think the Saris Bones Rack will work on the 2011? It seems like 2011 Sonata has a real small rear bumper. I'm not sure if it can support the weight because it slopes instead of being flat like most bumpers.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Have not tried it but if I want to use a rack that supports on the bumper I would look into the possibility of securing a strap inside the trunk that would prevent the support slipping of the bumper.

Also, get a roll of electrical tape at the $-store and cover all painted parts where the bike rack is fastened to protect any scratches or rubbing damage

Fortunately the Tucson is now the "old" car in our family so that will now become the bike carrier.

PS Walked by a guy at Home Depot last weekend loading three 2x4's into his brand new (still smelled new) C- class Merc. He loaded it from the back and made the ends rest directly onto the dash - NO protection what so ever :wallbash:

Then there was a guy in an older Toyota Corolla a few cars further on that wrapped the 2X4's in old blankets and towels before loading them the same way into his car - I thought - now there is someone who actually deserves a Merc.

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE (rocktalk @ Jun 11 2010, 12:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=331921
Do you think the Saris Bones Rack will work on the 2011? It seems like 2011 Sonata has a real small rear bumper. I'm not sure if it can support the weight because it slopes instead of being flat like most bumpers.

Thanks for the help.

I'll snap a pic this weekend if I remember.

I didn't have it rest on the bumper, it rested on the vertical part of the trunk. The two feet swivel so you can have it on the bumper or the wall of the trunk. Even on my accord I never rested it on the bumper because it was plastic and never felt sturdy. I'd rather have it pushing on the metal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ive been a serious biker for almost 40 yrs and I used to do what BSDJAX said. Because I did not want my all Italian custom bike hit by some jerk. Then only complain that "why should I pay $4000 for a bike? I can get you one at W-M for 100 bucks."

So Last yr I bought a Dahon folder, now my bike rides in the back of the trunk, or in the back seat.

Check out the Dahon forum if you are interested: Danon Folding Bike Forum

[attachment=21855:email_sp...IMG_1256.JPG]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I recommend you put on a trailer hitch (class 1) this should be hidden pretty well except for the receiver and you can use a trailer mount for the bikes. Solid like a rock and no damage to you car.

·
Registered
90 Posts
QUOTE (jtfortin @ Jun 8 2010, 12:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330937
I have a Saris Bones rack I purchased years ago for my 99 accord that fits the Sonata just fine. If you do go with the Saris Bones, just get some of those foam things that people use for putting a canoe on their roof. Put them over the rubber feet and the pedal that is closest to the car and your car will be fully protected.
+1 Used mine with a '99 Subie Forester and even with a '03 Honda S2000. Will fit the Sonata just fine :)

G

·
Any update here? I also have a 2011 sonata and am looking at purchasing the Bones rack. Can you position the bottom vertically along the back of the trunk as opposed horizontally on the bumper?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts