Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Tuscan SEL ;21 Sonata N Line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone know if the trunk lid should have a VIN sticker on it somewhere ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
koNfuzion3 ...

Do you really think someone might steal you identity if you don't blacken out the VIN # on your car . ?

Jeeeze ... and to think ... I have actually posted photos of my car with it's Florida license plate number right here on the 'dark web' . !

:eek:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ok ...

I guess they could write down the VIN numbers of all the cars parked in the Walmart parking lot, but I am thinking it would be just a big waste of time.

For that matter, someone could write down your license plate number and the type of car it belongs to any time you are traveling down the road ... but then what are they going to do with this info?

I don't worry about the small crap.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Bummer. So it looks like my trunk lid has been repaired or replaced as I don’t have VIN sticker there. I bought the vehicle Sunday 6/6 and noticed a slight depression in the edge and the right side not sitting flush with fender. Notified the dealer on Monday ( the next day ) and on Tuesday the 6/8 their paintless dent repair guy improved the attached dent. There’s also touch up paint which I showed them on the corner channels of the trunk frame. One dot in each corner. I might have a case if the repair wasn’t disclosed to me and that it exceeded 3% of the cost of the car , I’m not too savvy on the laws here. I know generally the laws in the states favor the retailer more than the consumer however.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Limey ....

So, you purchased a brand new Sonata just recently, and now you think this car was somehow damaged in the rear of the car ... How many miles were on the odometer when you purchased it ?

I have never heard of this before

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Limey ....

So, you purchased a brand new Sonata just recently, and now you think this car was somehow damaged in the rear of the car ... How many miles were on the odometer when you purchased it ?

I have never heard of this before
18 miles were on the vehicle when purchased. It was brand new.

·
Registered
2021 Phantom Black Sonata N-Line
60 Posts
Not having the sticker on there doesn't necessarily mean that it was repaired or replaced. Could have been left off from the factory. I currently have a case with Hyundai due to them putting the wrong trunk lid on my N-Line.

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-Line
174 Posts
Take your new car to a reputable body shop and ask for their appraisal. I had a similar experience when purchasing a new Interlagos Blue 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe. I suspected some undisclosed body damage repairs which were confirmed by my body shop. I took the blue BMW back to the dealer and showed them the body shop inspection report. They reluctantly admitted to repairing some "lot" damage. I demanded a replacement car and drove off in a new undamaged
WP_20130602_002.jpg
Imola Red Z4 M Coupe.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not having the sticker on there doesn't necessarily mean that it was repaired or replaced. Could have been left off from the factory. I currently have a case with Hyundai due to them putting the wrong trunk lid on my N-Line.
Is the bumper supposed to have a VIN sticker also ? If so where ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take your new car to a reputable body shop and ask for their appraisal. I had a similar experience when purchasing a new Interlagos Blue 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe. I suspected some undisclosed body damage repairs which were confirmed by my body shop. I took the blue BMW back to the dealer and showed them the body shop inspection report. They reluctantly admitted to repairing some "lot" damage. I demanded a replacement car and drove off in a new undamaged View attachment 458593 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe.
Nice rides you have. I used to be in the BMW scene back in the late 90s and early 2Ks. Last one was a 97 hellrot E36 Evo. Sold that before coming to the USA.
So you suggest I go to a body shop and ask for what exactly ? I've never been in a situation like this before so could do with some help. Cheers. All I've done so far is noted in writing all my issues and date that I visited them , it's only been since Sunday. Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the VIN sticker not being present together with minute over spray on the edges of the rear fender lights strongly suggested otherwise respectfully.

·
Registered
2021 Phantom Black Sonata N-Line
60 Posts
Well the VIN sticker not being present together with minute over spray on the edges of the rear fender lights strongly suggested otherwise respectfully.
VIN would be on the underside of the bumper cover. As far as overspray goes, that's a whole different story. I'd have that checked by a body shop. I have access to other Sonatas and I'll check tomorrow if they have the VIN decal on the trunk lid as well. Sometimes a dealership will have windows etched with the VIN as well as putting the VIN on security tape and sticking them on removable parts and sell it as part of a security package. Not trying to give the dealership a pass, but still get it inspected by a body shop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
VIN would be on the underside of the bumper cover. As far as overspray goes, that's a whole different story. I'd have that checked by a body shop. I have access to other Sonatas and I'll check tomorrow if they have the VIN decal on the trunk lid as well. Sometimes a dealership will have windows etched with the VIN as well as putting the VIN on security tape and sticking them on removable parts and sell it as part of a security package. Not trying to give the dealership a pass, but still get it inspected by a body shop.
Many thanks for your response. I'd await you looking into the Vin stickers part. I think it might be dealer specific. Since my doors don't have them either. I don't recall having vin stickers on any of my previous new cars either. Maybe on one.

Guys ,check your front door corners , the corner closest to the front fenders you can't see it , but feel it. I noticed on mine, the passenger side particular had paint missing looked like corner impact damage similar to opening door against a wall. Cleaned it with IPA which resulted in some color coming off then touched it up with paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Unfortunately damage in transit and on the dealer's lot happens a lot more frequently than people realize. Most state laws regarding disclosure to the customer are written to greatly benefit the dealership with high thresholds (either in dollars or percentages) that have to be reached before disclosure is required. Since the dealerships themselves are often doing the repairs, they can make sure the total cost falls below any threshold. Just remember - selling a car as brand new doesn't mean there's never been any damage. It just means it's never been titled before.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just finished measuring the paint on various panels and they are all between 103 to 125 mil as is the trunk and adjoining fender , lowest thickness was on front door center top part which measured 99 mil.
So it looks like that the car wasn't painted. Still wondering what that red stuff is on the edge of the rear fender lights. It's tiny and can only be seen by magnification almost.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts