Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to the chagrin of my father and brothers who are gifted with the mechanical gene I am only good at calling for estimates. Sadly, they also live a country away and I'm not adequate nor lyrical enough to explain the problem.... Help?

I left my office on Tuesday and accelerated onto the highway. The car was in "D" and seemed fine. Then it began to shake, wouldn't accelerate when I pushed on the gas pedal. I was barely able to get it over to the shoulder of the highway. The "CHECK ENGINE: light came on. I stopped the car and turned off the ignition.

Waited 15 minutes. Restarted the car and it accelerated only when I put it in manual. Every time I switched to automatic it would shake when the speedometer hit 50MPH. However, by the time I got halfway home I switched back to automatic and had no further problems accelerating. It was driving fine. That night and next morning were also fine. As a matter of fact the "CHECK ENGINE" light even went off.

Fast forward to Thursday morning. I filled up with gas and everything was fine until I restarted the car. It sputtered and stalled, "CHECK ENGINE" light went back on. I waited 10 minutes, restarted the car and everything was fine. "CHECK ENGINE" light stayed on though. Friday morning, the car started fine but as I left my subdivision the car just "shut down" and went into "crawl home" mode. I barely got it to my mechanic.

Mechanic called and said it was the entire throttle body and it would be $1200 to replace it. Questions...

1. Is that fair? I've googled and called and it seems fair but also seems high.
2. Could it be something else?
3. Has anyone else had this problem?
4. My car just hit 100K so is there recall possibly?

Thanks in advance...

Steve

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,816 Posts
It may well be the throttle body but $1200 is highway robbery if all they are going to d to change it.

You really need to know whet he check engine code is.

What year and engine do you have?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,816 Posts
Looking at parts for a 2005 SantaFe it show the TB is not electronic. So it has an cable. Probably only thing wrong with it is the Throttle Position sensor. That and a good cleaning would take care of the TB if that is the problem.

~$50 for a TPS sensor, a TB is around $400.

Find another mechanic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Steve: Would be most helpful to know the year, model, and engine size (2.4L, 2.7L or 3.5L) of your vehicle. As a non-expert, I question the diagnosis, the need to replace the TB, and the price. For $1200, I would certainly make sure that he will guarantee that replacing the TB will solve your issue. Just my two cents worth!!! I am sure that more experienced members will post their thoughts. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts