Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble starting my Santa fe, 3 weeks ago my key stopped working, the rac disconnected the alarm from the immobiliser to tow me home, but the car started and was fine for about 2 weeks, it then wouldn't start at all on the sunday, so contacted a mechanic to do diagnostics on the tuesday, but Monday it started, still had diagnostics done but no fault codes were found, car ran fine for a week, now won't start again, it turns over fine but just won't fire, does anybody have any ideas as to what it could be.
Any ideas would be welcome as totally don't now what to do, last year in the cold it was tricky to start, but once started would be fine until the next morning, this morning is the coldest we have had since the problem started

·
Registered
843 Posts
Hi,
You could check out previous threads on this forum related to starting issues, there are several.
Tricky starting in the cold could point to bad or faulty glow plugs.
Does the fuel pump sound for a while when you turn the contact key to contact?
Do you see the glowplugs indicator light light up and go out again at contact?
You could try turning the key twice on and off before crancking so the glow plug timer is activated twice, heating the cylinders more.
So fault could be electrical or fuel pressure related, maybe the fuel filter is clogged?
Otherwise the well known cam shaft sensor or cranck shaft sensor could have a temporary shortcircuit because of broken or crumbled wire harness insulations at the sensors.
Again, there are several earlier threads about these issues you could check out.
Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
There can be an issue with the immobiliser circuit itself - this may be cured by repositioning the immobiliser aerial or it may need replacement of the immobiliser ECU.

It's not that common but it is a known problem that Hyundai UK are certainly aware of - go to your Hyundai dealer and press them to get technical support from Hyundai UK.

It starts as an intermittent issue that comes and goes but can eventually fail altogether.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts