Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I meant to ask about this a while back but never did. I was having trouble with my 2009 2.4l Sonata starting after I put gas in it or drove the car to the bank or any short stop where it would take 3 or more tries to get the car to start. The starter was cranking but it wasn't getting any fuel.

So fast forward to March when I took my car in to have it looked at. They said they could not reproduce the issue despite them driving the car around for several hours. They also took of the throttle body and they said a dirty throttle body might be the culprit but they said my throttle body was clean. So the issue still remains.

I've since then had the car not want to start on me again or if it does start, it runs really really rough for a few seconds before it starts to run normally. It's looking more and more like a purge valve issue but what's a sure fire to test if it is. I don't have any check engine lights or any codes stored. I'm going to be taking the car in about a month for an oil change along with the other issues I'm having with it.

The issue is really starting to annoy me and I'm getting to the point where I wonder if the car will strand me somewhere because it doesn't want to start.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Check all of the battery and ECU connectors, remove battery, remove negative terminal wire, clean both sides; follow all of the wires that go to ECU, clean all of the ground wires

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,314 Posts
It's looking more and more like a purge valve issue but what's a sure fire to test if it is.
Simple, take a pair of vise grips and clamp them onto the hose between the puge valve and the inlet manifold to block the flow of fuel vapour into the inlet.

What you describe sounds kinda like a known intermittent problem with Hyundai cars called Paper Shop Syndrome. The engine starts OK then you drive a short distance and switch the engine off (like popping in to the local shop to buy the newspaper), then when you get back in the car the engine just cranks and wont restart. Hyundai issued a technical bulletin about this problem years ago and their suggested fix is to replace the crank position sensor. That worked for the guy in the thread at the link below, although he had some issues initially because he tried using cheap aftermarket sensors. Once a genuine Hyundai sensor was fitted the fault disappeared.

2007 Santa Fe - cranks but no start

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check all of the battery and ECU connectors, remove battery, remove negative terminal wire, clean both sides; follow all of the wires that go to ECU, clean all of the ground wires
Simple, take a pair of vise grips and clamp them onto the hose between the puge valve and the inlet manifold to block the flow of fuel vapour into the inlet.

What you describe sounds kinda like a known intermittent problem with Hyundai cars called Paper Shop Syndrome. The engine starts OK then you drive a short distance and switch the engine off (like popping in to the local shop to buy the newspaper), then when you get back in the car the engine just cranks and wont restart. Hyundai issued a technical bulletin about this problem years ago and their suggested fix is to replace the crank position sensor. That worked for the guy in the thread at the link below, although he had some issues initially because he tried using cheap aftermarket sensors. Once a genuine Hyundai sensor was fitted the fault disappeared.

It crossed my mind once to clean the battery terminals but I never got around to doing it. I also know that I need to get a new battery before winter as the one I've got now is 5 years old. I'll look at cleaning all the connections today though.

As for the crankshaft sensor, it seems easy enough to change. I'll see if my mechanic skills are up for the task. Although my issue has become so intermittent I don't know if I'll be able to confirm if it fixes it. But, it's a solution and I'm willing to try it. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
It's looking more and more like a purge valve issue but what's a sure fire to test if it is.

I agree that it’s a common problem because my 09 Sonata does the same thing. If the engine is cold or warm it starts fine but if it’s cold but somewhat warm it has trouble starting. What I usually do if it has trouble starting is cycle the fuel pump a few times by turning the key on and off and then it starts fine. So I think on my car it might be fuel related but I might try and change the crank position sensor.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Before changing parts, I would suggest doing a few tests to see if the part is faulty.
Vise grip on the hose to the purge valve sounds like a sure test for the purge valve.
Purge valve is normally closed.
If stuck open then too much fuel will choke the burn and cause rough idle or no start.

Having to cycle the key on and off a few times, sounds like a fuel system issue
And not so much a crank sensor.
But, guess if it is a cheap and easy job then ... why not?
Just hope it fixes the issues.

·
Registered
414 Posts
So I think on my car it might be fuel related
On your Canadian car, it might be an immobilizer issue.
If it’s an immobilized issue I’ll just ignore the problem unless it gets worse because for now it just happens once or twice per month and finding the problem would be too complicated for me ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm so sorry. I completely forgot about this. I'm going to have my mechanic look at this. This is a little out of my expirence level.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Did you put vise grip on purge valve hose after filling with gas and run around for a while then try to start it?
Oh, send to the mechanic ... ???
Let's hope for the best

1 - 11 of 11 Posts