Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2000 Accent and in running through the usual maintenance I came across an issue with reading the oil level.

The problem is, no matter what I do there's a big 8 inch long streak going down the stick, and it's very difficult to tell where the streak ends and the actual level starts. It's a very gradual transition. I've tried checking the engine cold after it's sat overnight, reading hot after waiting 5+ minutes. Nothing seems to help prevent this streak. I've shown the dipstick to other people and no one seems to be able to say for sure where the level is at.

Is this a common issue with Accents? I've never experienced this before. At this point I did an oil change and added 3.5 quarts, but I don't have the original manual so I'm not sure how close that would be to full. The clear, new oil isn't helping with the reading at all.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
both sides or just one side. I have had some where one side does as you say but the other side is accurate without any streaks.

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i get the same thing sometimes. i found the trick is when you pull the dipstick to wipe it and then put it back in, don't pull it out immediately. wait about 5-10 seconds.

what is happening is when you do the first pull you're pulling a bit of oil up the tube creating that streak. give it time to roll back down. its because of the bend in the tube our cars have.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the same problem with 3 of my cars. Two are hyundai 4 cyl and a dodge 4 cyl. I also have a problem with the tranny oil readings, hot or cold. Could it be a 4 cyl problem. Why , i do not understand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts