Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has a 2003 Hyundai Elantra & when she goes to the gas station to fill up, so when she starts pumping the gas it shuts off after $0.40 or $0.50 like it is over filling we have tried moving the pump handle all around in every position, she asked a mechanic to check to see if one of the anti-siphon devices was in the tank and he said there was not so I am wondering if there is some sort of breather tube on the filler neck or gas tank that may be clogged and causing this issue?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Slide the vent hose off the canister (from tank to canister so tank vents briefly to atmoshpere for "testing" purposes,, likely the canister charcol bed is swell/satureated/exploded and will not vent displaced air tank through charcol bedding

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went through this with my daughters '02 Elantra a year ago.

What happens is if the fuel tank is topped off after fueling, excess fuel can get into the charcoal cannister causing it to fail.

The cannister swells pushing out charcoal into the vent/purge line. You can feel it in the line by squeezing it where it is attached to the cannister.

This assembly is located underneath the fuel filler behind the drivers side rear tire.

I tried a couple of fixes including clearing out the line and putting in a stainless steel screen so charcoal could not escape. Both worked only temporarily.

I ended up replacing the charcoal cannister, the shut off valve on top of the cannister and the purge value in the engine compartment between engine and firewall.

This represented the entire vapor recovery system and it has been a year with no problems.

·
22,793 Posts
Never top off. One click, you're done.
+1 Agreed. "One and Done!" However, I do gently squeeze the nozzle's trigger in order to get to that next even dollar. I'm OCD, like that. It's a quirk, I know.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I went through this with my daughters '02 Elantra a year ago.

What happens is if the fuel tank is topped off after fueling, excess fuel can get into the charcoal cannister causing it to fail.

The cannister swells pushing out charcoal into the vent/purge line. You can feel it in the line by squeezing it where it is attached to the cannister.

This assembly is located underneath the fuel filler behind the drivers side rear tire.

I tried a couple of fixes including clearing out the line and putting in a stainless steel screen so charcoal could not escape. Both worked only temporarily.

I ended up replacing the charcoal cannister, the shut off valve on top of the cannister and the purge value in the engine compartment between engine and firewall.

This represented the entire vapor recovery system and it has been a year with no problems.
Good analysis, have done the same repair.
I like your signature location ; very appropriate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts