Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning started my 2003 Elantra, no problems (the day before drove and ran fine). Went to put it in drive a weird sound, and it would not go in drive or rev. Looked under the car and right below the shifter there were two gears, looked like parts of a transfer case. Anyone have any ideas? This car has been great for the last four years. There is still transmission fluid in the transmission. Looks like these two gears were incased in something, there were a few pieces of pot-metal as well.

Any thoughts?

Kmath47471

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Trans case broken at the final drive unit, and you are seeing the ring gear inside... new transmission time.. seen a few break the case there in the past.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may not be an isolated incident as it happened to me a few years ago on my 03 Elantra right befor the warranty was out. One day on my home from work, when I heard a laud click noise and I lost my speed at the same time. I pulled the car over and walked out the car, I see this part of the transmission gear was on the ground behind the car.

By the way I was drving in my neighbourhood and @ 30 MPH. I was lucky that the car was still under warranty.

I thought this was strange back then.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts