Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

After reading some of the posts on here, I gonna be honest that I am the dumbest guy there is.

I just got a Hyundai 2000 Tiburon, stick shift from a friend. I had two lessons before i started driving this car. Everything was great, I drove it from NC up to PA.

Just yesterday, I was at a stop light on a upward hill, and I cant recall exactly what happened, but i think i messed up either the clutch or the gear box.

The current condition: I cannot switch to any gear when i start the car in neutral, so I have to turn the car off and start the car in first gear. Now, I can drive the car up 4 gears with great resistance while changing gears, but I cannot switch to lower gears. When I put the car in reverse gear, I have to stall the car to get the gear to neutral.

Please tell me what have I done, and I should I go about dealing with this. And, how much would it cost for me to fix this thing up.

Also, this is my first car and I am feeling very sick about this.

Please help.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Sounds like your hydraulic system is failing, like the master cylinder is blown, or the fluid leaked out. It's a cheap and easy fix. Try bleeding your hydraulic system first.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums :00000732:

l am moving your question over to the correct forum for a better response

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ May 29 2010, 12:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327561
Sounds like your hydraulic system is failing, like the master cylinder is blown, or the fluid leaked out. It's a cheap and easy fix. Try bleeding your hydraulic system first.
Thanks for the help.

The slave cylinder was blown, and the fluid was leaking.
I took it to monro, and they charged my butt off, but i watched them change the cylinder, and I can do it myself now.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (street_slick @ May 29 2010, 06:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327703
Thanks for the help.

The slave cylinder was blown, and the fluid was leaking.
I took it to monro, and they charged my butt off, but i watched them change the cylinder, and I can do it myself now.

Did they wipe the master clean of old fluid and debris and flush/fill with clean fluid, or did they just replace the slave and do a couple shot bleed and top off master and still full of green/black oil ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jun 1 2010, 10:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=328657
Did they wipe the master clean of old fluid and debris and flush/fill with clean fluid, or did they just replace the slave and do a couple shot bleed and top off master and still full of green/black oil ?
I don't think they did anything with the master cylinder, he said master cylinder is related to brakes, and he only worked on the slave cylinder, by installing a new one.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Dear street,

Since you had a clutch slave cylinder failure, go check the clutch master cylinder reservoir fluid level and color. The fluid should be clear as water. It turns black over time from absorbing water out of the air and fine particles worn from the piston seals. You want your fluid clear because the black particles act like grit in the hydraulic system and will cause early seal failure over time, and the absorbed water causes rust in the cylinder bores also causing early seal failure.

If your fluid is black, you can do a fluid exchange yourself. Buy a pint of new clutch fluid. Have a friend ready to pump the clutch pedal inside the car with slow even strokes. attach a short piece of vaccum hose 1/4 inch diameter to the clutch slave cylinder bleeder. put the other end of the hose in an empty 1 liter or 2 liter plastic coke bottle (or suitable waste container). open the bleeder with a 10mm wrench. Have your friend start pumping the clutch pedal. As the level drops, keep adding fresh fluid. Keep pumping until the fluid flowing into the coke bottle is clear. Close the bleeder. Top off the clutch master cylinder reservoir to the full mark.

Since you already had problems with the clutch, what color is the fluid in the brake fluid reservoir? If it is black , it will need changed also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts