Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car intermittently shifts very rough and jerky. Just took on a long vacation trip and every AM when it was cold it shifted hard them smoothened out once warmed up. Got home and now it is doing it all the time. Dealer said do the trans flush...I did it and it made no difference. Is this a common problem with this model? Mileage is 39,800...not sure I want to buy this car at lease end.

·
Registered
336 Posts
i have a 2011 with 74k on it and have no such issues.... i'd try going to another dealer as well as lodging a complaint with HMA about the that you just had do the service.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Meyer, you really really need to get on that ASAP. Seconding quietfly, you need to switch dealers and make them ride with you in the car to experience it.

I am another 70K+ miler and my tranny shifts flawlessly. And it has never been opened, flushed, etc.

Coming from a car that I got rid of because the tranny imploded, you do not want to wait for it to fail. And that seems to be what your current dealer is waiting for.

Get Hyundai involved (you still have a warranty) and get it fixed. Don't end up like me--with your car up in the air at the dealer waiting on a new tranny and the payment still being due.

Actually---have the dealer (current or new one) run your VIN number. There was a transmission control module update IIRC for the 2011 and 2012 MY Sonatas. I bet yours has not had the update and this could be part of your issue.

·
Registered
268 Posts
IIRC this condition may be caused by the transmission temperature sensor. There is a TSB to replace this sensor. Do a search here or go to www.hmaservice.com sign up and look at the TSBs. Site works best with Internet Explorer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a 2011 that had problems, they replaced the tranny at 17000. fixed the problem for a bit. I now have a 2013 at 22000 miles and it is really acting up. it is going in this weekend to be gone through. i am guessing they will once again tell me they can't duplicate and there are no codes.

i was going home a couple days ago and after turning left through a stop light, i thought i kicked it into neutral because it wouldn't go, just rev. It also shifts hard but mostly when the weather is cool. Just like the last one I had.

I plan to drive this one to death and will never buy another Hyundai again. they promised me the first one was a fluke but this one is the same thing.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I had a 2011 that had problems, they replaced the tranny at 17000. fixed the problem for a bit. I now have a 2013 at 22000 miles and it is really acting up. it is going in this weekend to be gone through. i am guessing they will once again tell me they can't duplicate and there are no codes.

i was going home a couple days ago and after turning left through a stop light, i thought i kicked it into neutral because it wouldn't go, just rev. It also shifts hard but mostly when the weather is cool. Just like the last one I had.

I plan to drive this one to death and will never buy another Hyundai again. they promised me the first one was a fluke but this one is the same thing.
That's my feeling about Ford cars. Any my tranny grenaded much sooner than yours (8300 miles) Dealer had the car for a month while Dearborn screwed around trying to decide whether to repair or replace my transmission. They eventually decided to rebuild it, and the repair was not done properly. However, they told me that it had to completely fail again in order to warrant a replacement. So I am totally done with Ford cars!

Why didn't you Lemon your 2011 or this one if you are having so many issues? No reason to drive it and just live with your problems. At least you could get out without taking a bath on trade-in...

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Whatever it is, the transmission should probably be replaced under warranty. These transmissions are not designed to be repaired but removed and replaced. I believe everything is inside the transmission. I had a problem with a Kia that I believe probably used the same transmission. In that case, the dealer cleared the codes and the problem didn't recur. I checked another dealer and was told it is an R&R deal. I wouldn't put it off.

I don't really think the car as a model has a big problem in this area but it does happen.

I'm wondering if the other poster really had a transmission replacement. It might have gotten the "fresh air and sunshine" treatment instead. I'd be dubious.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I looked into the lemon laws and the dealer was just doing enough to keep me from being able to use that (on the 2011). The 2013, so far, I can't get them to acknowledge the problem. They always say they can't duplicate and there are no codes .....

My problems weren't like the video. When my shifts rough, it will jerk you around. It doesn't shifts and then drops in with a clunk and a jerk. Hard to explain ..... The other night, it just plain had me thinking it was in neutral. Foot down went to about 5000 before it started to really move.

I was acting like it was way low on fluid but as we all know, they felt that owners couldn't be trusted to be able to check the fluid. I ave bitched about that too.

We were on a 4000 mile road trip over the 4th of July week that included a lot of mountain driving. Everytime we would stop anywhere and get out, people would be starign because the car stunk so bad. Smells like burning, melting rubber. Anyone else experience that? And people behind me say that when it is working like at freeway speed, they can't hardly stand to be behind me because of the smell. Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The guy in the video is a victim of the wastegate issue (well documented on the Turbo YF subforms).

Cowpiezzzz that smell is burning clutch material. Indicative of a pending transmission failure. Your Sonata is living on borrowed time, and I suggest you not drive it long distances to avoid being totally stranded or get the "your failure indicates abusive operation" crap from a dealer.

You need to raise holy h**l until you get someone to look at it. Again, contact Hyundai Corporate and lodge a complaint about the car and the dealer.

I don't know how the lemon laws work in your state, but up here the dealer has so many service visits or a certain amount of time to have the car fixed or you can initiate a lemon law case. All lemon law attorneys work on contingency---and the manufacture has to pay your fees.

Again, I stress not taking this lying down. GET VOCAL, my friend! Your car should be dependable and not cause you this kind of headache.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I recently had the transmission temp sensor changed. My problem started with mainly delayed shifts. Did this for a few days before finally throwing a code P0711 (Check Engine Light came on). Was repaired last month and haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just dropped it off this morning. We will see what happens Monday when they call me. I will keep you posted. I went to corporate on the last one and won't hesitate to for this one.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I hate this freakin car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course they can't duplicate....... Of course there are no codes ............... Of course they can't smell anything. Of course your tires are ready to change but we can't change them until you hit 25000 miles (I am in a program). I now hate Hyundai, I hate my dealership and i HATE THIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I recently had the transmission temp sensor changed. My problem started with mainly delayed shifts. Did this for a few days before finally throwing a code P0711 (Check Engine Light came on). Was repaired last month and haven't had any issues since.
yeah i'm having this on my 2012 turbo.
They gonna change the temp sensor for me and transmission harness

·
Registered
461 Posts

I'm with ya on that , owned 6 in total HMC can kiss my :eek: now lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts