Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, my transmission (automatic) started rumbling while shifting from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th gear. Shakes the whole car, like you're driving over a rumble strip. Only when the engine is hot. I read online that I should get my transmission flushed and replace the fluid, but should I be expecting the thing to go or is this a normal hiccup for the Santa Fe?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh. I forget. It was around this time I replaced my skid plate (shredded to pieces on rocks) with one I made from sheet metal. Is it possible the transmission is just getting too hot now? Can that happen? The engine is already a billion degrees. Nothing is overheating and the fluids don't look burnt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Transmission fluid

I have done 2 cycles of "drain-n-fill", which replaces about 4 ~ 4.5 quarts of transmission oil. The transmission gets better and better, we drive the car every day, and other than a slight delay on the 1st shift of the day, it shifts great. This is a transmission that would not back out of the driveway.

In my case, There was not any physical external damage (skid plate), I simply did not change the transmission fluid for a long time.

Im not an expert, but maybe putting newer fluid will help. My engine was also running a little hot, and the fluids also looked and smelled normal.

....I just read your other post (Shifter hard to move), I dont know how much my experience applies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought this car almost a year ago and it had over a hundred thousand miles on it. I have no idea when the trans oil may have last been changed. It's not low or anything though, and doesn't looked blackened. There's no flecks of metal in it. I'll be sure to provide an update after the new fluid. I also read about some additive you can put in there. It came with lots of testimonials but i've never had luck with such products in the past. Especially the radiator leak sealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

Please help, I have exactly the same problem in my 2007 Santa fe!

How did you solve it?? DId fluid change fix it?

I have this car for two weeks now, and my engineer have no clue what this could be.

Thanks a million !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While having some other transmission work done on the linkage, I had my pan removed which was sort of a drain and fill. The shudder was very much worse after. More of a loud metal clank that throws your body into the steering wheel and makes your rear wheels buck up. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. When you accelerate quickly, it shifts just fine. This is now happening exclusively between 2nd and 3rd gear. Unless the transmission shop sabotaged me, they were never working on the guts of the gears, just the linkage that connects to the gear shifter. So perhaps the fluid change was detrimental? The car is well over 150K. I picked up some of that additive which is supposed to clean and smooth out rough shifting but it's had no effect. I'm going to attempt a full flush or several drain n fills to at least ensure that all the fluid is the same fluid and any debris that may have collected is free, but I got a bad feeling about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts