Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 Sonata has 63K miles and today started jerking (Hunting) after about 10 miles. Here is what I know. It starts on a level run and disappears when on an incline, but as soon as the crest is reached, and on the downside, it starts hunting again. When it is jerking, around 55 to 60 mph, I switch the transmission lever to Autostick and it stops, back into drive again and it starts again. This is so repeatable there has to be a connection. EVERY time I switch to Autostick the jerking stops, end when I put it back into drive, it starts again. The jerking is severe enough that it is easily detectable. It appears that when the transmission is under load, like going uphill, the jerking stops.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
i have a v6 and live in south fl (no hills/slopes). however our trannys arent the greatest nor smartest. i too experience gear hunting in low speeds and jerking during sudden acceleration sometimes. try a drain and fill on the tranny and see if it helps.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Spring do you coast in neutral up to stops or down hills? The trans doesn't like that if you do. Learned from experience. My I4 had the same symptoms you are describing. Had the dealer reset the learn function and quit coasting....hasn't come back after two+ years.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Spring do you coast in neutral up to stops or down hills? The trans doesn't like that if you do. Learned from experience. My I4 had the same symptoms you are describing. Had the dealer reset the learn function and quit coasting....hasn't come back after two+ years.
I do a whole lot of coasting to red lights =/

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
alfu yours is a different transmission than our 4's. Maybe that is why you don't have problems.

Mine started hunting, so I went to dealer for relearn, it stopped. I started coasting again and it came back. Did the relearn and stopped coasting...gone.

FORGOT: Welcome to the forums Springbok!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alfu and craigbrooks for your replies. Although I don't do any coasting, I think resetting the learn function is worth a try, if that doesn't get it, I'll go the oil drain route. Sorry it took so long to get back to this post, and I do appreciate your responses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tranny Problems

Yours is just typical of Hyundai me thinks. My 09 Sonata started that jumping and jerking at about 60k miles. A dealer drained and refilled, then 'relearned' the puter. At 173k now it still purrs along perfectly. Well, perfectly except for their stupid rear brake design . . constantly chirping and all that crap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts