Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just completed a 2500 mile road trip through New Mexico and Colorado. I recently started using an app along with an OBD-II reader to monitor vehicle stats. The entire way there, the ATF temp was reading at least 205-210 and would get to 245 or so going up or down the steep passes. The temp for the CVVT temp would be about the same. The last day when we were returning the temp was 195-200 while we were decending in elevation. Internet research makes me think the trip up was pretty hot for a transmission, so it seems the stock cooler can't keep up. Has anyone installed an aftermarket cooler? I did a couple drain and fills of it a couple months ago and the fluid was really dark. Is this normal? The transmission was replaced under warranty at 42k miles and I performed the drain/fill operations at about 97k and 99k, which is under the 60k mark for severe driving conditions. The first time I drained it, more fluid came out than went back in to the proper fill level.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you towing, or is this just with the vehicle loaded?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We weren’t towing. We were loaded with kids and camping gear for parts and just the kids and a couple day packs for other parts. Temps were the same for both.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
If you do not mind me asking...What brand / model reader are you using?

·
Registered
319 Posts
.... The transmission was replaced under warranty at 42k miles ...
I don't see much posted for early failures on Hyundai/Kia transmissions, so your experience is somewhat unusual. Can you post the details of exactly what the transmission failure was?

I've monitored the tranny temps on my Kia Forte in the past, and they're quite a bit lower than what you've reported (195F max). However my readings were on an unloaded vehicle, with no steep climbs, so it's not nearly a fair comparison. And of course our transmission are not the same either. Can you post which transmission is in your AWD? (I expect that it should be listed on the replacement paperwork)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know the exact model of the transmission. It is a 6 speed. Commuting in OKC, the temps can get to 205-210 in traffic if it is hot outside. Usually it is below 200 since I have a fairly short commute. The original transmission developed a faint grinding that sounded like a bearing failing. I couldn't tell where the noise was coming from and the dealer told me it was the transmission and replaced the entire unit. The reader in the OBD port is EtekCity Wifi OBD2 and the app I use on my iPhone is called Car Scanner ELM OBD2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts