Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My transmission got stuck in 3rd gear on the way home recently. I tried disconnecting and re-connecting the battery and that didn't work. Looks like there's fluid around the casing, but I wasn't sure if that was already there or not. Any thoughts on what it could be? '07 Santa Fe (3.3L)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! This means that the transmission is shifted into emergency mode and requires diagnostics and repair. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Nuts - yes, that is likely 'limp home' mode. You should also have seen a MIL on the dash, and will likely be seeing that codes in the P7XX range (e.g., P0733 or P0734) have been set. The good news - it could be something as simple as either the input or output speed sensor - not a huge problem. Once they've pulled the codes, you'll (and they'll) know more.

This transmission isn't known for many real problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ran into the same problem on the way home Thursday night. Stuck in 3rd gear the whole time. Drove it to and from yesterday and it drove perfectly. I checked the ATF this morning and it looks fine. I haven't had a chance to get the codes read, but from what I've seen here, it's leaning toward the input and output sensors on the tranny.

If that's the case, my question is about the difficulty of replacing them myself. My mechanical abilities are better than average. I saw a video of a guy changing them on an Elantra and it looked pretty straight forward. Do I access them on my vehicle by removing the air filter housing?

'07 Santa Fe 3.3, 142,000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts