Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking car to dealer and leaving overnight. Car is 2009 3.3 with 81,000 miles, Trans replaced at 57,000 miles by Hyundai. So what is happening now is when it is cold in the mornings my trans slips from 2nd to third, RPMS rise followed by loss of power then it goes into gear. I then flip to manual and see it is in 3'rd to try to rule out a stack shift. I have a slight incline near my home it seems to happen on that not on the flat going to the hill. After 2 or 3 shifts it is fine with no issues til it sits again for a while. I am original owner so I am still under powertrain warranty. Anyone hear of what I am describing, I hope it is not a bad valve in the trans. Every time the dealer tried to check it, it is fine, so I will leave overnight. I am not sure but I think it tends to happen when defroster is on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the Check engine light is not on, the dealer cannot replicate so they kept it for another day. Guess I will hear tomorrow one way or the other.

·
22,788 Posts
I am not sure but I think it tends to happen when defroster is on.
You informed the dealer of this, too, yes? It could be helpful if this is the root cause. Not saying it is, but the more accurately they can reproduce the event you're describing, the better they can diagnose it. I'm curious to learn what's causing this.

·
Registered
882 Posts
One other thing, if they return it to you without a fix, break out the cell phone and get a video of it. point camera at the instrument cluster so maybe they see the rise in RPM. Also check fluid, as a low fluid condition can cause this as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So they did find something after it sat for two days. The first overnight sit was unsuccessful. To sum it up, the service writer had the tech hook up the computer and they took it for a drive where there is a slight incline. It is maybe a 1/4 mile to the incline. Upon hitting the incline the issue happened with the second to third shift and the feeling of a transmission slip. After the first few miles it is fine, which made it hard to replicate. They sent the results to Hyundai over a link or tech line, and they came back with the Adaptive timing was off. This was reprogrammed I believe remotely. The vehicle sat for several hours and did not have issue. I could not tell driving it home because it was in a snowstorm, so I was focused on driving.
I will monitor for the next two weeks to see what the issue would be. Now it makes me wonder what could cause this to need to be reprogrammed, a 'glitch'. I think it may have started after my last brake light switch last year but the issue only happens when cold. Not sure if that was related. I don't know, just frustrated, hopefully this is it.
On another note, not sure of the year or engine but another NF had a similar issue when I was picking mine up.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just wanted to add. I have an 09' 2.4

Mine was slipping bad in 1st when I would slowing down. The dealer said they found a flash update and fixed it.

No issues since, and its been a few months. I know it is not the same as yours but I figured I would add this to the thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts