Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
ok I'll do a check on my fluid , seems unusual after 2 yrs the condition of yours. thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I just wanted to reply to everyone so you don't feel alone. :^). My 2016 Santa Fe has been "jerking" from first to second gear intermittently. Dealership flushed the transmission fluid and reset the computer, but the problem has remained. Car has 58,300 miles on it. After reading this and other forums, I'm doing everything possible to make sure Hyundai knows the problem exists. I wish us all luck...everyone, please update if you find a solution!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

I have the exact same issues with my Santa Fe Sport (base) FWD with the 2.4L. I have this problem since the car is new.
When the car is cooled (maybe 2-3 hours off), he slip between the 1st and 2nd gear. I also have a very poor shifting while I'm cruising between 110-120km/h. If I got into a lil change in hill climbing (as low as 2-3 degrees) the car BANG a downshift of death (usually to the 3rd gear) and I climb to the red zone of RPM.

My dealer told me that there is a problem with CVVT oil control valve. It was changed twice but it not resolved the transmission issue.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
2.4/6AT is a good combo for the sonataoptimatucsonsportage. I just think that the SantaFe is too heavy for it. When vehicle is too heavy for the powertrain, you drive with a heavier than normal foot and shifts will be more aggressive. Next time get a 2.0T.

Verify ATF level per FSM.
Hyundai Sonata: Repair procedures - Automatic Transaxle System - Automatic Transaxle System - Hyundai Sonata YF 2011-2019 Service Manual

There is a known issue with the temp sensor and wiring harness. Whether you get the error code, or not, might be a good idea to replace it.
https://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/92605/hyundai-transaxle-oil-temp

There might be a software update So, have your dealer verify that the vehicle has latest ECU programming.

Since powertrain is stressed, drain/refill the ATF. If that helps, do it more often.

Make sure the ATF level is checked correctly. OE ATF isnt required.

https://www.hyundai-forums.com/sonata-all-hybrid-models-yf-lf/445201-transmission-fluid-change-video.html#post5489746

Also note that shift quality can be horrible with poor engine tune. So, make sure that your air filter is clean, practice a good safe oil and filter change interval, run a bottle of FI cleaner a couple times a year, use IVD cleaner every couple years, keep oil level optimum full...

·
Registered
427 Posts
my tranny has been shifting hard a few times in the last week.

35 000km 2.5 years
I have drain/filled fluid last summer once.

Will do it again this spring and see how it evolves...

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,247 Posts
Leaving mine alone till it dies. Or at least until I find a third vehicle in case all goes to he11 in a handbasket as a result of the fluid change.

So far Copper Top is shifting smooth as silk. Suspension sounds like it has rheumatoid arthritis especially with the Midwestern winter temps of late.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2014 2.4L Sport that for its lifetime had transmission flares and hard shifts. Well last Friday I was driving to work and I couldn't get above 30 and the transmission wouldn't shift. I pulled into the office and had the car towed to AAMCO. I figured the day had come. They recommended a transmission rebuild and a remanufactured torque converter. I said ok and ponied up $3600.

I pick up the car and IMMEDIATELY the symptoms return. I hobble back to the AAMCO shop and they then diagnose that one of the catalytic converter was clogged, which heated up to boiling point and, according to them, killed the transmission by boiling the fluid.

I suspect that the just torque converter was killed, and the full rebuild was unnecessary. They told me they would pay to have a new catalytic installed at Hyundai dealership but I have to pay for parts. FML

The vehicle has 133K miles on it. I hope that when I get it I can run it to 250K miles.

So check your catalytic converter!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Chain shops like AAMCO (All Automatics Must Come Out!) are the worst places to take your vehicle.
I advise people to not stop there even to ask directions.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Lank;5889243 I suspect that the just torque converter was killed said:
No DTC codes for either transmission or engine ? Cats usually don't plug unless you had previous engine woes - like a bunch of misfires. When plugged unusual not to see a DTC, same with high temp in the tranny, should trigger a DTC .

Sometimes best to get 2nd opinion when faced with major expense, but at least if your Theta II seizes you get a new engine for free !

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, AWD. For the most part, my wife and I really like it. We had the engine replaced in 2017 because it started dying on us. Come to find out, there was a recall due to the engine's internals grinding themselves to death. So, for the most part, the car has been pretty good.

However...we've been having some serious issues with the transmission. For instance, after the car sits for a few hours and we decide to drive it, there's a horrible slipping feeling in the transmission from 1st to 2nd gears. The engine will also rev very high...sometimes close to red line. It'll do this for about a second, then after that, the transmission shifts fine. The next problem with the transmission is while coasting down any kind of incline. There's an abrupt jerk when the transmission downshifts from either 3rd to 2nd and/or 2nd to 1st. We took it to the dealership numerous times. After all of the diagnostics and testing, they found absolutely nothing wrong. I was shocked. They reprogrammed and serviced the transmission a couple times and nothing changed. They even had our car for 2 weeks at one point and of course they could not reproduce the issue. It also never threw a code or caused the Check Engine Light to come on! I recorded it on my phone happening to us about 20 times. I even showed them other videos of the transmission doing its thing. It didn't matter one bit. If they could not reproduce the issue, to them, it didn't happen. I wrote to the dealership begging them to send someone over our house for a couple mornings so they could see what I/we were experiencing. Guess what, no response. Can you believe it's still happening to this very day? Of course we're over the 100,000 mile warranty. Our only saving grace is the dealership told us that if the transmission fails, Hyundai will most likely fix it under the warranty because we've been complaining about it for so long. I'll believe it when I see it.

Does anyone else have the same issues that we're having...or had the same issues? Does anyone know what might be causing the transmission to slip like that almost everyday? What would cause the abrupt downshift while coasting down an incline? This has been nothing but a huge headache. I just want to know what's causing those things to happen!!!

Thanks for reading my rant. Hopefully it made sense.
Yes, I also have a 2014 Santa Fe Hyundai
And just had the engine replaced under warranty and it’s just been a week and almost zero miles and I think my transmission is slipping. After driving my car for 6 years I know what’s not right. It’s in the shop right now and they can’t feel or here what I do, I told them it’s happening in the morning but seems to be ok after driving it for awhile.. they are keeping it over night to test it in the morning so we will see. I’ll keep you posted, so far Hyundai has taken care of me😊

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds very much like my 2017 SFS!! Mine had the same hard downshift, especially when going from 6-5 gear. It was a very hard jerk. We had the tranny replaced last October (car was only 10 months old!!), and things were going ok for a couple of months, but now it's back and worse than ever.
I brought the car to my local dealer back in May and they kept if for a few days to try and figure things out, and they did a transmission "reset", however, nothing has changed for the better, actually a little worse. There was a couple of times in the last two weeks where it downshifted two gears from 6-5-4 very abruptly in about a 1.5-2 second span while starting to climb an incline of about 10-15 degrees while at highway speeds around 110 km/h.
Something else that has happened since the "reset" is the reduction of speed while starting starting to climb a shallow (less than 10deg) incline while at highway speeds while also pressing harder on the accelerator pedal. I've seen reductions in speed from around 5-8 km/h when this happens, but i have been increasing pressure on the accelerator. It's like the car isn't responding to the increase on the pedal but instead slowing down. Eventually, the car grabs and then does the hard downshift in gears and then speeds up.
Not sure what to do anymore. We've had the car for about a year and a half and I don't have the time or patience to keep bringing it back to the dealer.
My 2014 did that and Hyundai replaced them engine but now something is going on with the transmission 😐 it’s at the dealership now and haven’t heard anything so far today😞 frustration is setting in

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had what appeared to be a slipping transmission on a previous car and I took it to a transmission shop. The symptoms were a slip between first and second gear when the engine was cold, a slip between second and third gear when the engine was hot, and the transmission torque converter unlocking at highway speeds at what appeared to be randomly. Well come to find out there was nothing wrong with the transmission. He told me I have some other engine tuning issues. Engine ran great though so I didn’t know what to do. I began to investigate and upon removal of the spark plugs I noticed a thick heavy buildup of carbon on the piston tops. I replaced the spark plugs and the front O2 sensor because of mileage and noticed no results. I did however change my fueling practices. I always filled up at a local gas station that was convenient for me and the traffic at this station was very slow. There was hardly ever anyone there pumping gas.

Over time my transmission slipping issues got better and better and have since disappeared. I removed the spark plugs for observation and noticed the carbon deposits had nearly disappeared since changing gas station locations.

I later on went back to the transmission shop and thanked him for pointing out I had an engine tuning issue and not a transmission problem. He said often times what appears to be transmission issues are often an engine tuning issue. The transmission is just a box that works based of various sensors. If the sensors are feeding it wrong information then the transmission will not operate correctly.

Sorry for the long post. So moral of the story is yes, get you catalytic converters tested and get a whole engine diagnostic done if you suspect any “transmission” issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2013 SFS, 20T with 49000 miles. At 47500 the tranny started hard shifting and over time got worse. The dealer couldn't duplicate the problem(of course) and couldn't do anything because no code was being thrown. Finally, after a couple months and the car wouldn't hardly move, it threw a code. An overheat code. Got to dealer and confirmed. Tranny replaced under 100K warranty. Kept my car for 6 weeks to have tranny sent from California but they did pay for a rental. The disturbing part is a car with so few miles shouldn't have tranny problems especially when the hardest thing it did so drive a smooth highway. This will be my last Hyundai. I thought they had gotten past their quality issues but I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
If you think switching brands will get past quality issues- I have some land in Arizona to sell you. All Hyundai did was honor their warranty. Perhaps a bit late in your case, but they did honor it.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,247 Posts
I have a 2013 SFS, 20T with 49000 miles. At 47500 the tranny started hard shifting and over time got worse. The dealer couldn't duplicate the problem(of course) and couldn't do anything because no code was being thrown. Finally, after a couple months and the car wouldn't hardly move, it threw a code. An overheat code. Got to dealer and confirmed. Tranny replaced under 100K warranty. Kept my car for 6 weeks to have tranny sent from California but they did pay for a rental. The disturbing part is a car with so few miles shouldn't have tranny problems especially when the hardest thing it did so drive a smooth highway. This will be my last Hyundai. I thought they had gotten past their quality issues but I guess I was wrong.
Sounds like a fluid temp sensor but dealer decided to do whole unit replacement.

Unlike the old days, so much of how the modern slushboxes work is due to electronic control modules, solenoids, and sensors.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

41 - 57 of 57 Posts