Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon, Has anyone had this issue come up my car is a 2012 Sonata SE is has 86,000 the few thousand miles the transmission has been shifting hard on first gear in the mornings and also shifting weird when the car is slowing down. I had the transmission serviced at the dealer around 80,000 miles. I just had it serviced again for a oil change and brought this to there attention. The service manager told me there is nothing they can do since everything is sealed. He did ask me if the check engine light came on and I told him never. I am also the original owner of the car and its been great so far except for this issues that comes and goes. Also the dealership has been good so far to me.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Yes most of time you will need code to diagnose. Maybe trans itself, or bad engine variable timing solenoid. Maybe engine oil change can fix that

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Scan it........................................

Sealed,, Hmmmmm,, how did I change fluid on all them YF / LF / UD-MD 6 speeders ???

Reactions: C4RN1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes most of time you will need code to diagnose. Maybe trans itself, or bad engine variable timing solenoid. Maybe engine oil change can fix that
I had the engine oil changed on Friday and it did it again yesterday. Again this does not happen all the time. It could now happen in a week or tomorrow. What is the engine variable timing solenoid.

·
Registered
904 Posts

Sealed,, Hmmmmm,, how did I change fluid on all them YF / LF / UD-MD 6 speeders ???
You're a sorcerer....

I'm betting it's probably the trans temp sensor going bad since he described clunky shifts.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What is the engine variable timing solenoid.

@camper

Can you clarify "variable timing solenoid" and it effect to transmission shifting,, because I could not find that part in the ETM for Automatic Transmission control diagram ??

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You're a sorcerer....
I am so evil,, my Mgr and 1 advisor think I am some kind of blooming genius....... HA!!!

In our shop,, I am of more value than "sliced braed"

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

It is sealed.
Right up to the time you break the seal by removing the drain plug. :laugh:

·
Registered
882 Posts
@camper

Can you clarify "variable timing solenoid" and it effect to transmission shifting,, because I could not find that part in the ETM for Automatic Transmission control diagram ??
oh I think it's in the engine, oil control valves, it controls variable timing of the engine, and may cause engine jerk and even the engine timing off

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Good afternoon, Has anyone had this issue come up my car is a 2012 Sonata SE is has 86,000 the few thousand miles the transmission has been shifting hard on first gear in the mornings and also shifting weird when the car is slowing down.

I had the transmission serviced at the dealer around 80,000 miles.

How if it's sealed as they say below?

I just had it serviced again for a oil change and brought this to there attention. The service manager told me there is nothing they can do since everything is sealed. He did ask me if the check engine light came on and I told him never. I am also the original owner of the car and its been great so far except for this issues that comes and goes. Also the dealership has been good so far to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What I mean sealed is that I asked if you can check the fluid level and as we know there is not dip stick to check the level. I figured the fluid level could be low thus making the car shift weird. As I said this only happens in the low gears and when the car is slowing back down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is sealed.
Right up to the time you break the seal by removing the drain plug. :laugh:
What I mean sealed is that I asked if you can check the fluid level and as we know there is not dip stick to check the level. I figured the fluid level could be low thus making the car shift weird. As I said this only happens in the low gears and when the car is slowing back down

·
Registered
343 Posts
So the transmission does not have a dipstick to check fluid levels. I had an issue with hard shifts once, and when that happened I asked for a transmission fluid flush/fill. I know some are against that, but for me that kind of solved the problem. It might not hurt to do that if you have not already, there's a thread on the board somewhere where a member did his own flush/fill using an IV bag or something like that. I had mine done at a local repair shop, they charged me $90 for the service.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
So the transmission does not have a dipstick to check fluid levels. I had an issue with hard shifts once, and when that happened I asked for a transmission fluid flush/fill. I know some are against that, but for me that kind of solved the problem. It might not hurt to do that if you have not already, there's a thread on the board somewhere where a member did his own flush/fill using an IV bag or something like that. I had mine done at a local repair shop, they charged me $90 for the service.

I would not do a flush (opinion as you hinted at above). However a drain and fill is pretty easy and will replace a decent % of the fluid. I think its easier than an oil change IMHO. I drain and fill my trans once a year during an oil change.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What I mean sealed is that I asked if you can check the fluid level and as we know there is not dip stick to check the level. I figured the fluid level could be low thus making the car shift weird. As I said this only happens in the low gears and when the car is slowing back down.
It has a "dipstick" of sorts.... We use the oil level inspection port...

Fill it here --- See cap removed from port for oil level

Just like a M/T or differential,, inspect level here, stop when it dribble out --

Attachments

Reactions: Brons2

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just had it done by the same dealer when the car had 80,000 miles and I asked them to check that when I had the oil changed on Friday and that when the service person told me everything was "sealed" I ask him if there was anyway to check to see if the level was low and his answer was no. I am going back in two weeks to have them do rear brakes so I may asked to speak to a manager.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I just had it done by the same dealer when the car had 80,000 miles and I asked them to check that when I had the oil changed on Friday and that when the service person told me everything was "sealed" I ask him if there was anyway to check to see if the level was low and his answer was no. I am going back in two weeks to have them do rear brakes so I may asked to speak to a manager.
Take my post and pics with you..

Tell them to review 15-AT-011,,, page 11 with you and person in charge.....

Let me know how they take your presentation of facts.. name dealer too if you like, or message me..

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Take my post and pics with you..

Tell them to review 15-AT-011,,, page 11 with you and person in charge.....

Let me know how they take your presentation of facts.. name dealer too if you like, or message me..

If you need to bring a basic maint item to a dealer for proper execution...time for a new dealer. Also time to clone SBR... >:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts