Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '97 elantra gls w/ an automatic overdrive tranny. going at hiway speed the tranny sometime shifts from 4th to 3rd then back to 4th for no reason. at other times it shifts from 4th into 1st at hiway speeds. i was told that replacing the 'pulse generator' would fix the problem. i replaced it about 1 yr ago and now the problem is back. does anyone have a similar experience or know how to permanantly fix the problem? thanks

·
Registered
422 Posts
What i think you may be experiencing is a poor signal from your reed switch frombehind your speedo head.
This problem can only be fixed by removing the speedo unit and soldering in two condensors of the specific farad.

What happens is the TCU recieves information from the vehicle speed sensor and the reed switch. If these two figures do not match the specs that they should be at, then this confuses the auto trans and causes it to shift erratically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
:angry: I had the same problem for over 5 years with my 97 Elantra and no one could find the problem. Now the transmission will not shift into reverse and in drive it will only use the first two gears. I now will have to get rid of mine and I suggest you do the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ya, I have the same problem only it feels like my transmission slips into neutral. About a year ago, I had the same issues that I am having now and the dealership replaced my pulse generator TWICE. Seemed to go away for a couple of months until I encountered the problem again. They once again replaced the pulse generator because they said it was defective. The part was replaced free because it had a year warranty on it. At this point, it seemed like the dealership didn't even know what the cause of my issue was. Told the service guy that when I come to a stop and need to pull away fast, it feels like the car is stuck in high gear much like a manual transmission. Now my issues are worse because the transmission is starting to slip while driving. I can tell you that the pulse generator is not the problem and it only clears bad codes in your ecm for a while. I did some serious searching and found the Recall website by the transportation ministry of Canada for Vehicle safety recalls. Here is the link because that is exactly what my car is doing. Here it is: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/rec...asp?recno=7878&

P.S.
Good luck trying to get a hold of anyone at head office to find out if your car needs any recalls. Im still waiting for a return call. Its been two weeks now and they say it takes 24hrs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by cbhighlander@Sep 19 2007, 08:39 AM
Ya, I have the same problem only it feels like my transmission slips into neutral. About a year ago, I had the same issues that I am having now and the dealership replaced my pulse generator TWICE. Seemed to go away for a couple of months until I encountered the problem again. They once again replaced the pulse generator because they said it was defective. The part was replaced free because it had a year warranty on it. At this point, it seemed like the dealership didn't even know what the cause of my issue was. Told the service guy that when I come to a stop and need to pull away fast, it feels like the car is stuck in high gear much like a manual transmission. Now my issues are worse because the transmission is starting to slip while driving. I can tell you that the pulse generator is not the problem and it only clears bad codes in your ecm for a while. I did some serious searching and found the Recall website by the transportation ministry of Canada for Vehicle safety recalls. Here is the link because that is exactly what my car is doing.  Here it is: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/recalls/rec...asp?recno=7878&

P.S.
Good luck trying to get a hold of anyone at head office to find out if your car needs any recalls. Im still waiting for a return call. Its been two weeks now and they say it takes 24hrs.
[snapback]109149[/snapback]​

I have the EXACTLY all the problems you mentioned , while driving on the highway sometimes slips into neutral and the shifts back to gear. I just got this car from my grandmother and the tranny was replaced once under warranty because stoped working. Now I have the neutral issue and from 0mph to any speed, it feels like taking off in second gear.

I'm goinf to upgrade the GROUND on the engine and tranny, sometimes this are ground related problems, it gets the tranny PCM crazy, it happened to me in another car, if it doesn't work I will sell the wagon

I would like to fix it because the wagon is in good conditions specially the engine.

PS: Last week I had to replace the alternator the battery terminal were a little extreched I will be replacing them also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts