Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Matrix 1.6, just had the transmission rebuilt, now I am hearing a hissing noise while driving, the sound is present in the first and second gears and disappears in third, despite this, the gears are shifting smoothly, can anyone suggest what could be the cause of this noise? much thanks.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
was the diff serviced at the same time by any chance?

with the matrix you have a 4WD car, correct? provided that this problem began after servicing the diff, i would put my money on an incorrect diff rebuild or again incorrect trans rebuidl. unfortunately very few shops do differentials right. incorrect bearing preload, improper gear tooth contact (bad shimming), and reusing the old crush collar are a few examples.

taper roller bearings are great things, but they require more care to install properly. most don't bother, they just throw the new bearing in and ram the **** out of the pinion nut with an impact gun. this goes for just about anything that uses a taper roller bearing.

if you get curious, visit Toyota Gear Installs. that guy is a genius with diffs.

now all that being said, i have to ask: why are you not going back to the shop? if they screwed up the job in some way they have a responsibility to fix the problem. you stated that the noise started after the rebuild which logic dictates is most likely the problem.

i'm not sure what you want anyone here to say other than take it back.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Simple things first, check the fluid level. Low fluid level can cause the pump to suck air and cavitate, this makes a hissing, whining noise. High oil level can lead to 'foaming' this is air gets worked into the oil and circulates through the transmission once air gets into the torque convertor it makes all sorts of strange noises. Check the level adjust as per the manual and remember overfilling an auto is just as bad as under filling, possibly worse.

·
9,148 Posts
Simple things first, check the fluid level. Low fluid level can cause the pump to suck air and cavitate, this makes a hissing, whining noise. High oil level can lead to 'foaming' this is air gets worked into the oil and circulates through the transmission once air gets into the torque convertor it makes all sorts of strange noises. Check the level adjust as per the manual and remember overfilling an auto is just as bad as under filling, possibly worse.
Fully agree...:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts