Hyundai Forums banner

2010 Transmission Problems

601 - 620 of 695 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
new tranny

Got the car back from repair after it died and was towed, here goes: codes c1283 yaw rate and g snsr c1702 variant coding error b1102 battery voltage low, also found vehicle unable to move and found lots of transmission grinding and slipping but found no leaking. The transmission was replaced, can't say what failed as they send it intact back to Hyundai, and as well the right inner and outer axle shafts were replaced as it would not seat properly in the new tranny. So far so good since it came back, once again thank goodness for the warranty. We don't drive it a lot and don't drive it hard, so if anything else were to be wrong it might not show up for awhile. The dealer wonders about the initial tow, I wasn't there, but the tow was sent by Hyundai Assistance; it was not a flat deck but sounds like dollies were put on the wheels.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Santa Fe 2010 Transmission problems

I bought my car new in May 2010. The car frequently engages in a hard shift for no reason. It can happen when I am sitting at a redlight or when I am driving slowly. The first time it happened, I thought I had been rear-ended by another car. I took it back to the dealer. They kept it 5 days but said they could not duplicate the problem, so nothing was done. The car continues to have the transmission problem. I complained to the dealer again and put it back in the shop. Still, no problems were found. I am forced to just live with the faulty transmission.

On two occassions, the car was stuck in first gear. The first time it happened, only weeks after buying the vehicle, I contacted the saleman at the dealership. He told me not to worry because if the car broke down, Hyundai was have it towed at no charge. Wow.

I am very disappointed in the car's performance and the lack of concern from Hyundai. It's my first new car and I feel duped.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Find a dealer who IS familiar with the transmission issues on pre-August 2010 builds, or insist that they contact the District Manager about this issue. SURELY they recognize that there is a TSB for this issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found this site that lists all the TSB's for different Santa Fe years. The link is for a 2010. In which is it stated on there TSB 12-AT-012. Date of Bulletin is May 1, 2012. Which states "automatic transaxle harsh and/or delayed shift - gds analysis." I also found TSB TSB 11AT011-2. Date of Bulletin is Jul 1, 2011. It states "2010-2011 santa fe. Automatic transaxle software update."

I'm scheduling my car for the next couple of days. Hopefully they fix my hard shifting...

Same problem as you and Lseven. Did it get fixed?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
@wisckir
If you read back through this thread (yeah, awfully long), you'll find that some owners' problems were evidently remedied well enough through a reflash of the code, and for some, that didn't work and they were dealt replacement transmissions. The only way you'll know which way you have to go is to have the dealer update the code to see if it can slam your solenoids home as needed, or whether they'll still stick.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How do you fix this

I've read most of this very long thread and most peple have fixed this doing a flash of the computer at the dealer.

How else can the computer be reset without taking it to the dealer? What If I disconnect the battery or something else?

The issue is that my car is imported (USA) and the local hyundai dealer only services korean spec santa fe....

·
Registered
168 Posts
This week my 2010 has been having hard shift from 2 to 3. Time to call the dealer and quote the TSB 10-AT-006.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Transmission replacement

We have a 2010 AWD Santa Fe sport V6 we bought new. It only has 39,000 kilometres or 24,000 miles on it. We have serviced it regularly getting service every 3 months. In the spring and fall we have a special service offered by the dealer.
In the past month we noticed that there was a hard shift everytime we started off from a stop. It sounded like we hit a bump in the road. I know that the vehicle starts off in AWD from a stop and moves to 2WD once it gets going. I thought the issues was the AWD disengaging.
The service department just called to tell me the issue is the transmission and that they will have to replace it.
Are transmission failures common for this vehicle?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Yours is post #609 on page 61 in a thread called "Transmission Problems With New 2010 Santa Fe" and you're wondering if 2010 tranny failures are common? Truthfully, no, it's not 'common' or there would be 6,090 posts here instead of 609. But it's frequent enough to have caused grief for quite a few folks here. Glad to hear they will be managing this by replacement. Read back through just the early parts of the thread and you'll find that your shift 'clunk' is the symptom associated with the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been following this thread for ages and have the same transmission issue on my santa fe. I was able to get them to do the re-flash back in 2012 and it completely went away, until last winter. I've had it in to the dealership three times since and they have never been able to re-create the problem of course, even after having fixed it once. My last visit today of course they can again not re-create it and decided that they will now charge me $65 for labour because it's not a warranty fix if they can't find the problem. Does this not sound absurd?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Yes, it is absurd. The problem was originally reported under warranty, and Hyundai knows that a reflash isn't always a solution.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Guys

I have had amazing experience by changing the trans fluid 4 times using Maxlife ATF - - and using Lubegard ATF supplement.

I have also had the ECU reflash - - which helped a little bit - -

FYI
Thanks
Nic

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had the transmission problem on my 2010 santa fe vs awd with 115K.
I was on the hwy and heard the big clunk that scared the crap out of me and noticed the high revs which upon verfication meant that the trans was stuck in 4th gear.
Stopped the car and tried to see if I could spot anything and started driving again when it happened again.
So I drove all the way to the dealer and he ran the machine and detected the codes P0768, p1780, p1782 and c1627.
They did the 4wd and tcm update which is for c1627, p1780 and p1782 according to him.

Drove the car for a bit and was actually driving at about 50-60km when I heard the small clunk and transr stuck in 4th gear again.
I went back to the dealer and didnt shut the car off and he plugged the machine and this time he only had the code p0768.
He then explains to me that that code means that the transmission needs to be replaced. He said that they cant do anything and to go back to the dealer where I bought the car (used) to see what they can offer or take it to a transmission shop and fix it.

On the way home I drove moderately at 90km on the hwy and had no problems with the car.
I am going to call the dealer monday where I got the car to see what they can do and I think I will call Huyndai Canada about it. Anyone knows what number to call that is best for this issue?

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have been driving the truck all week without issues and tonight it did it again. I get the same error P0768 and the car locks in 4th gear.
Some info about the p0768 code:
http://www.autohex.net/dtc-help/hyundai/18/2010/10/P0768/

Whats different from the other days is that the truck has been sitting all day outside and its been raining and the air is filled with humidity.

Could this be a bad sensor/cables problems? Its seems to happen when the humidity in the air is very high.

Before I go about fixing the transmission what 'cheaper' steps can I take to eliminate all possibilities?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Haven't seen that yet. So far, solenoids, not wires or sensors, have been the source when that number pops up.

Has this unit ever been on a Hyundai GDS for a closer inspection per TSBs? Probably worth at least the cost of that bit of diagnostic work. Even the oldest related TSB has your number (literally and figuratively), and wiring hasn't ever produced that for us (yet), just sticky solenoids.

Though most just add more models or years to the hit list, 10-AT-003, 10-AT-003-1, 10-AT-003-2, 11AT-009, 12-AT-016, 12-AT-016-1, 13-AT-008, 14-AT-003, and last but not least, since it still applies to the 10 Santa Fe, 14-AT-012.. And I probably missed at least one in there somewhere.

Per latest TSBs, Hyundai is recommending LOCAL replacement of solenoids. Must have finally gotten tired of shipping transmissions somewhere along the line. See attached. Wonder if sbr711 has been noticing that?

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
Canderson thank you for your post. Very interesting.
I had the truck at the dealer last saturday and they ran the diagnostics machine and I know they updated whatever software they thought was necessary. They told me that the car had several codes including the P0678 and that updating the software fixed it and the only code left was p0768.

Last saturday after they diagnosed the truck it locked the gear once and I went back to the dealer and he checked again and had the p0768 code.
After that I drove back home (over 100kms) and the truck was fine.
All during the week I drove the truck for different distances and no problems. We had snow for a day but today it rained most of the day and this evening the air was very damp. And the truck locked up as soon I got it into Drive mode. There was no warm up or any driving with the truck. It happened right away.

I read that TSB and I was wondering woulnt it be better to start with #28 and replace the wiring harness and/or pcm and then do the transmission work if it doesnt fix it? :)

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
They start with the code change. Many of us suspect that it's designed to overcome sticky solenoids by pulsing them at very high speed (a bit like an air hammer) rather than just 'engaging' them normally. This has seemed to resolve the problem on enough vehicles that it's made a fair number happy without any further intervention. Before they had a real handle on the problem, they were even sending out replacement transmissions that would exhibit the same kinds of symptoms. Eventually, the reman transmissions being received quit behaving badly and the problem was finally put to rest for those owners who were getting their vehicles into dealerships to get the problem fixed.

I suspect the reason that they don't start with #28 is that chances are very slim that there's an intermittent in the harness. In fact, they're sure enough that the root cause will be a sticky solenoid that they don't waste the time on the harness until way late in the game as a sort of last ditch effort to find a solution. It might be a relatively cheap and easy fix, but cost/benefit has shown them it isn't worth the time since it isn't likely to help.

Again, it's all been conjecture, but early on in this problem, there were rumors about an anodization problem causing the solenoids to stick in the valve body. Unanodized aluminum is quite soft and 'sticky' and wears quickly with repeated friction of motion. When a solenoid would stick, you'd essentially have an attempt to engage two gears at once, causing the bump. The way transmissions are designed now, timing is everything with simultaneous actuation/de-actuation going on, and binding for any reason isn't tolerated in the design.

601 - 620 of 695 Posts